All parent member reviews for Little Bear

Adult Written bydeswhitby December 30, 2008

overall very appropriate and cute. buuuut....

there are some perilous moments - like when Little Bear and Owl imagine they are fishing on the high seas and catch an enormous, ferocious whale with gigantic teeth who threatens to eat them (yikes!!!), and the episode with the dragon which sent my 2 and 4 year olds shreaking from the room. Little Bear is the first show my children have ever seen. We have avoided media 100% with them - until now, and Little Bear has been a great choice, but parents show preview each episode for frightening content. Otherwise, it is brilliant. I only mention this because I haven't seen anyone else say anything about it, and I wish I had had a warning. Don't hesitate to allow little ones to watch it, just get familiar with the content first.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byCTbrowncoat September 2, 2009

Behold the most calming toon on TV

Hands down the best toon on TV for young ones. Has a wonderful calming effect on our kids. And the animals are all great role models - polite and kind to one another. And Duck is pretty damned funny. :-)
Adult Written bycherry619 October 21, 2011

Show for nighttime

Little Bear is one of those shows for night time when things are settling down and kids are going to sleep. The gentle nature of all the characters and fun adventures that Little Bear takes us on will grab any child's mind and let them explore their creative side with make believe and also exploring nature and the things around us. Not to mention the music score is really calming and not in your face like a lot of kids shows with all the singing and dancing.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written bypiper0137 August 5, 2009

Perfect for little kids new to TV

This show has become a staple in our house -- our twin two year olds would rather watch this show (and read the "Little Bear" books) than do almost anything else! The characters are well-developed for a children's series, it isn't dumbed-down for toddlers or preschoolers, and it has VERY positive messages. It's also slow-paced -- there's no frenetic, MTV-style editing here -- which is great for toddlers watching TV for the first time. Our girls didn't watch TV at all until after they turned two, so we've been very selective in what they've seen. I would recommend this just as highly as I would Sesame Street; it's that good.
Adult Written byZombieGirl June 20, 2012

BEST EVER

I LOVED repeat LOOOOVED watching little bear growing up!!! I am 21 going on 22 this year and I can still say it was one of my favorite shows. The theme song is beautiful and it taught me to appreciate things in a way that todays kids shows just can't teach. Today everything is flashed in your face while little bear was more of a slower pace. I have friends that didnt like watching it growing up and preferred the flashy in your face shows which is fine. But if you have a young child who is quiet and likes to read i think Little Bear would be suitable for them.
Adult Written byjen72 April 9, 2008

A+++ for toddlers & pre-schoolers

My son has been watching this show since he was 2 (now just turned 4) and he still looks forward to it. Now my daughter who is almost 2 loves it as well. It is one of those gentle & quiet kind of shows that gets my kids in the settle down mode. There is absolutely nothing to worry about when they watch this show. If anything, it coaxed my son into learning all the names of the characters and made him ask questions. All good stuff for ages 2 to 4.
Adult Written byOswin11 January 15, 2015

Awesome

Such an amazing show. Brings back memorires of my childhood. Highly recommend this show. Not to many shows where the characters are enjoying nature and having fun. Now it's all about computers and technology
Parent Written bybrooket1 June 26, 2015

amazing show for little ones

I think it keeps them still for a while and stuff helps you get stuff done it a great show i watch it with my 1 year old daughter and my little cousins 5 year old and 2 months old.........
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byloved February 27, 2015

An imaginative treasure

An imaginatively relaxing program for young children, and adults alike. The program is more times than not, very peaceful and full of calm happiness. Each episode deals with the titular character, 'Little Bear', a young cub, and his imaginatively adventurous take on woodland life. A couple episodes, like "Play Ball" and "Thunder Monster" are a little more 'problematic', in that they're among the only episodes that deal with aggression. The latter especially may be terrifying to smaller ones, in that it deals with a strong thunderstorm. The thunder is well, realistically thunderous. And the episode deals with Little Bear shouting with anger at the thunderstorms to go away, so the moon can come out. Another episode, 'Mitzi Arrives', deals with selfishness/rudeness, in a manner that may need to be explained to younger ones. Lastly, the episode "Little Bear's Favorite Tree", is about the only episode that actually deals with the subject of death. A colossal Oak tree is shown fallen in the aftermath of a violent thunderstorm. There's also a slight moment where Little Bear fears a family of blue jays that nested in the tree may have been hurt (but are later shown to be just fine. The show overall seems to take place in an early 20th Century, while electricity itself is never shown. The only glimpse of modernity is in the episode "Emily's Balloon", where a town with streets and sidewalks is briefly seen. Otherwise it is wholesome in that it deals with a more forgotten time of when kids enjoyed themselves outdoors, without the distractions of today. The characters are diverse, with different hobbies and personalities. And each is very imaginative. Maurice Sendak's timeless drawings are beautifully animated. From a mermaid and aquatic life of the sea, to the constellations in space, to an appearance of his 'Wild Things' in a storybook.
Parent Written bydoodle_doodle May 31, 2016

Can be intense for younger ages!

The show seems family oriented but there are some topics like death that are inappropriate for younger ages. Some of the characters are selfish. I do like the slow animation.
Parent Written byViannaR June 21, 2014

Childhood-centric and gorgeous use of soundtrack

This program is absolutely charming. There is a deepness to it that is difficult to express, while seemingly so simple. I think that it addresses children at a level missed by other programs aimed at this audience age. It has a feel that mimics the dreaminess of the lives of the very young (and does explore the fears at times--in fact, a few episodes can go "dark" -- one particularly goes very dark, when a doll "dies," so I would caution parents to view the episodes prior to showing them to your child. Brilliantly done, and very Maurice Sendak. I wasn't a fan, actually, until I discovered this show, and now, I've finally "got" him!
Parent Written byazul222 February 24, 2013

We Wish There Were More Than 3 Seasons!

My daughter fell in love with the Little Bear books around her 1st birthday and, shortly thereafter, we discovered the Television Series. For more than a year she would beg to "Watch-y Bear!!!" and would sit, entranced, through the adventures of Little Bear, Emily, Duck, Owl, Cat, Hen and friends. We eventually purchased some of the DVD sets to keep at her grandparents' house and the Little Bear movie. The stories are sweet and easy to follow and have nearly none of the "infighting" among friends that is so popular in preschool television. The characters play together, go on adventures together, explore nature and tease out simple problems. Though she is beginning to grow away from the series (partially because she has seen every episode a hundred times, if not more), it is still her go-to show when she is tired or grouchy and we are searching in vain for anything similar for an older child. There is an appalling lack of options.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

little bear

part of daily life -- is the most attractive aspect of this series. If Little Bear inspires families to enjoy such pastoral pleasures, then all the better.
Parent Written byElektra61306 July 9, 2011

Unique and calming!

I agree with some other posters who describe Little BEar as being "calming". It really is! I would put this on when my kids were infants to help calm them down, and to this day, I find it to be a fun, relaxing and very mellow cartoon. The animal characters are realistically drawn and the background music is very charming.
Parent Written byboso148 June 18, 2011

excellent

great calming show
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byelemerond March 17, 2011
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

Little Bear the Movie!

Little Bear the Movie is not reviewed here on Common Sense, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to share that the beloved TV show is also a wonderful full length feature. It's a favorite in our house that's been watched over and over again, much more so than the TV episodes. Nothing flashy or fast, just good old Little Bear, but in long form. Wonderful story and exceptionally well done, as you would expect from Little Bear. Enjoy!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySheenaLongland November 15, 2010
I don't care for the show. Personally, I find that Little Bear is a rather selfish character. BUT, my son likes it, so I make sure to watch that stupid show with him in case it gets to the point I have to explain that its not right to be selfish.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMamaD407 August 8, 2010

Sweet and gentle for little ones

My son is watching now as I type this! He LOVES Little Bear and usually watches it right before bedtime. Amazingly, the calmness of the show helps settle him down for the night. We haven't yet read the books, but I'm planning on starting very soon.
Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byMamaLoco February 2, 2010

Perfect for little ones!

We have loved every episode. My kids reenact them often and they never seem to tire of them. Very wholesome. No violence. I often joke that when I am feeling frazzled I just pretend to be Mother Bear and suddenly I'm baking cookies and smiling :-) Books are wonderful too.