Parent reviews for Little Bear

Gentle, age-appropriate viewing for preschoolers.

Adult Written byMamaButler May 3, 2019

Best show ever

This show demonstrates manners, friendship, sharing, imagination, kindness, and how to entertain yourself without anything but simple pleasures. (Outdoor play, toys, etc.)
If you prefer your child to learn and play with little technology this show will inspire them.
I use to watch this as a child and now my daughter watches it. She loves it!

Adult Written byNostalgiaAndSense January 20, 2019

Perfect for growing kids.

I myself watched Little Bear from ages four to around seven. The characters taught me manners and kindness where my parents were too busy with work to do so; one character in particular was a role model and delight to watch. My little sister absolutely loves this series as well. I believe we still have the seasons and movies around the house. If you are looking for a family friendly, nature-oriented, and calming kids show to help nurture and grow the minds of your precious tots, this is the one for you! They will be delighted at the soft colors and fun adventures.

Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byMrs. C. B. August 8, 2017

The best!

We all loved Little Bear. We memorized them and played them out! Great fun and calming entertainment for little ones.

Adult Written byZombieGirl June 20, 2012

BEST EVER

I LOVED repeat LOOOOVED watching little bear growing up!!! I am 21 going on 22 this year and I can still say it was one of my favorite shows. The theme song is beautiful and it taught me to appreciate things in a way that todays kids shows just can't teach. Today everything is flashed in your face while little bear was more of a slower pace. I have friends that didnt like watching it growing up and preferred the flashy in your face shows which is fine. But if you have a young child who is quiet and likes to read i think Little Bear would be suitable for them.

Educational Value
Parent of a 3 and 5-year-old Written byCTbrowncoat September 2, 2009

Behold the most calming toon on TV

Hands down the best toon on TV for young ones. Has a wonderful calming effect on our kids. And the animals are all great role models - polite and kind to one another. And Duck is pretty damned funny. :-)

Adult Written byVictoriaFK June 26, 2020

Traditional values, somewhat sexist

My two year old son loves Little Bear. The story lines are very everyday and lend themselves to good discussions about feelings and manners. There’s nothing scary or violent. Lots of creativity and pretend.

Mother Bear and Father Bear have a very traditional marriage where the mom does all the housework and childcare and the dad goes out and works. As long as my son sees other models reflected in pop culture of working women, this doesn’t bother me very much. Little Bear just happens to have a stay at home mom. There is one episode where he makes pancakes with his dad. So the guys do some select domestic work.

Little Bear often goes off to play on his own because Mother Bear is busy doing housework, or even, in one episode, just reading a book. I love that this show teaches kids to play on their own. They shouldn’t rely on adults to entertain them all the time.

Parent Written byOldShowLover April 20, 2020

One of the best shows available

One of the best ways to judge if a show is overstimulating is to stare at it for a moment and count how many seconds each shot lasts before they cut to a new one. Over time, television has moved towards faster and faster cuts. Some shows try to resist this urge and hold shots for slightly longer than their contemporaries, thus making it more suitable for young, developing minds. Little Bear is one of these few shows.

To add to that, the characters also live quiet lives in the woods, away from cars, standardized tests, and supermarkets, so this gives it a bit of a dreamy, vacation quality that is relaxing for adults to watch with children (as opposed to some of the repetitive, annoying options out there).

While not as explicitly educational as other shows, Little Bear learns various lessons and interacts with many personality types, but no one is overly villainous or cruel. It is mostly focused on creative exploration or problem-solving, and I love that the characters all live in harmony with one another despite no one being perfect. They also show characters of all ages/genders interacting with one another in a way that isn't often seen in American children's television, which I think is healthy and important to model for a proper sense of community.

Little Bear is not very safe with his fishing rod. Fishing is a big part of the show (his father is a fisherman) and in one episode he is swinging it around in the house and hooks his mother's skirt! In later seasons, a new character is introduced, a monkey character who is an unabashed trouble-maker. There is also a strange line between which animals are sentient, and which are food. They converse with a frog and a snake, but regularly kill fish. In one early episode, Cat makes a joke about eating duck soup while Duck is in the room. This is something younger children may have questions about.

Despite whatever minor grievances, Little Bear is one of the best shows around, and is suitable for a wide audience. The adult characters are particularly well-rounded and likeable, and the Canadian version of the show is available for free online.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written bybeaffronti April 6, 2019
I watched this show as a child and now my son (3) has been watching it for the past year. He prefers it over all the fast paced flashy shows. So wholesome and good

Parent Written byDigiGoggleHeadBoy August 25, 2018
For 2-8 year olds.

Havent seen it since I was a kid, but I remember loving it. It's quriky, bubbly, and fun, and it teaches social and emotional skills.

Adult Written byLendo O. October 22, 2017

Superb

This is to my mind the finest children's show of the last 25 years. As a parent of (now) 12, 10, and 8 year olds, who grew up with this show, I found it to be simple, imaginative, kind, and perfect. My kids still enjoy it at their advanced ages. I find myself turning it on while home alone as I do work around the house.
An exquisite program

Adult Written byBonnie M. May 23, 2017

One Episode Can Change Your Opinion of a Kid's Show

I was watching Little Bear with my 3 year old grandson this morning. Little Bear and the little girl left her doll with owl while they went away. Owl took a nap and while he was asleep, duck came by and sat on the doll who had become covered with leaves. From that point on, the other characters referred to her as DEAD. They then found a box for the FUNERAL. I don't feel this was an appropriate subject for a child's cartoon show. I haven't had a problem with the show before now. Usually a very cute show, but this subject is for the family to decide the appropriate time to discuss.
Parent of an infant and 2-year-old Written byKim L. November 1, 2016

Manners and imagination abound

I love this show for my 2 year old. It is full of imaginative adventures and impeccable manners. The episodes are short and hold my kiddos attention well. I love the playing together, making sure everyone is having fun, using imagination and better manners than most people I encounter. Zero consumerism, sex or violence (unless you count falling apples bonking sineone).

Parent of a 1 and 5-year-old Written bydoodle_doodle May 31, 2016

Can be intense for younger ages!

The show seems family oriented but there are some topics like death that are inappropriate for younger ages. Some of the characters are selfish and mistreat each other. I do like the slow animation.

Adult Written bybrooket1 June 26, 2015

amazing show for little ones

I think it keeps them still for a while and stuff helps you get stuff done it a great show i watch it with my 1 year old daughter and my little cousins 5 year old and 2 months old.........

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byloved February 27, 2015

An imaginative treasure

An imaginatively relaxing program for young children, and adults alike. The program is more times than not, very peaceful and full of calm happiness. Each episode deals with the titular character, 'Little Bear', a young cub, and his imaginatively adventurous take on woodland life. A couple episodes, like "Play Ball" and "Thunder Monster" are a little more 'problematic', in that they're among the only episodes that deal with aggression. The latter especially may be terrifying to smaller ones, in that it deals with a strong thunderstorm. The thunder is well, realistically thunderous. And the episode deals with Little Bear shouting with anger at the thunderstorms to go away, so the moon can come out.
Another episode, 'Mitzi Arrives', deals with selfishness/rudeness, in a manner that may need to be explained to younger ones. Lastly, the episode "Little Bear's Favorite Tree", is about the only episode that actually deals with the subject of death. A colossal Oak tree is shown fallen in the aftermath of a violent thunderstorm. There's also a slight moment where Little Bear fears a family of blue jays that nested in the tree may have been hurt (but are later shown to be just fine.
The show overall seems to take place in an early 20th Century, while electricity itself is never shown. The only glimpse of modernity is in the episode "Emily's Balloon", where a town with streets and sidewalks is briefly seen. Otherwise it is wholesome in that it deals with a more forgotten time of when kids enjoyed themselves outdoors, without the distractions of today. The characters are diverse, with different hobbies and personalities. And each is very imaginative. Maurice Sendak's timeless drawings are beautifully animated. From a mermaid and aquatic life of the sea, to the constellations in space, to an appearance of his 'Wild Things' in a storybook.

Adult Written byOswin11 January 15, 2015

Awesome

Such an amazing show. Brings back memorires of my childhood. Highly recommend this show. Not to many shows where the characters are enjoying nature and having fun. Now it's all about computers and technology
Adult Written byViannaR June 21, 2014

Childhood-centric and gorgeous use of soundtrack

This program is absolutely charming. There is a deepness to it that is difficult to express, while seemingly so simple. I think that it addresses children at a level missed by other programs aimed at this audience age. It has a feel that mimics the dreaminess of the lives of the very young (and does explore the fears at times--in fact, a few episodes can go "dark" -- one particularly goes very dark, when a doll "dies," so I would caution parents to view the episodes prior to showing them to your child.

Brilliantly done, and very Maurice Sendak. I wasn't a fan, actually, until I discovered this show, and now, I've finally "got" him!

Parent Written byazul222 February 24, 2013

We Wish There Were More Than 3 Seasons!

My daughter fell in love with the Little Bear books around her 1st birthday and, shortly thereafter, we discovered the Television Series. For more than a year she would beg to "Watch-y Bear!!!" and would sit, entranced, through the adventures of Little Bear, Emily, Duck, Owl, Cat, Hen and friends. We eventually purchased some of the DVD sets to keep at her grandparents' house and the Little Bear movie. The stories are sweet and easy to follow and have nearly none of the "infighting" among friends that is so popular in preschool television. The characters play together, go on adventures together, explore nature and tease out simple problems. Though she is beginning to grow away from the series (partially because she has seen every episode a hundred times, if not more), it is still her go-to show when she is tired or grouchy and we are searching in vain for anything similar for an older child. There is an appalling lack of options.

Adult Written bycherry619 October 21, 2011

Show for nighttime

Little Bear is one of those shows for night time when things are settling down and kids are going to sleep. The gentle nature of all the characters and fun adventures that Little Bear takes us on will grab any child's mind and let them explore their creative side with make believe and also exploring nature and the things around us.

Not to mention the music score is really calming and not in your face like a lot of kids shows with all the singing and dancing.

Educational Value
Adult Written byElektra61306 July 9, 2011

Unique and calming!

I agree with some other posters who describe Little BEar as being "calming". It really is! I would put this on when my kids were infants to help calm them down, and to this day, I find it to be a fun, relaxing and very mellow cartoon. The animal characters are realistically drawn and the background music is very charming.