All parent member reviews for Little House on the Prairie

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byloisj April 11, 2009

Beware outdated content

I love having my kids watch this show because the themes are so innocent and because there's really no violence or sexual content. However, beware some outdated themes and ideas--I've found i have to watch with my kids and be ready to turn off the episode. For example, we watched an episode about an African American character, Joe Kagen, who was trying to get the townsfolks' "permission" to attend church (which takes some debriefing with young children to begin with). The two main male protagonists (Pa and Jonathan) were of course on the moral side of the episode's message, arguing on Joe's behalf, but Mrs. Olsen, the antagonist, was arguing against it. I was shocked to hear her begin spouting racist ideas such as "those people practice witchcraft, beat on drums, and EAT PEOPLE!" Then, as if that's not enough, her husband, who is supposed to be on the "right" side of the moral message, states that her view is ridiculous and "this is America, not Africa!" So not only do kids hear racist stereotypes that they might not otherwise hear, but then they're told that those things DO happen in Africa! So things like that, which were considered moral and "progressive" in 1979, are outdated, racist, and horribly ethnocentric by today's standards. Just beware the time lag!
Parent Written bymarz January 17, 2014

The best tv series for kids

My 11 year old very sporty son surprisingly absolutely LOVES this series. This was unexpected because I actually bought it with his younger sister in mind. He laughs, cries and even yells at the screen! My husband and I can't help but watch and get involved in the shows as well. We both remember our favourite episode. My son was begging me to tell him what happened to certain characters in later episodes. My 8 year old daughter enjoys the series as well but I think it is better understood by 9-12 year olds. The values are timeless. You can't go wrong. Enjoy.
Adult Written byclassicfilmlover39 November 19, 2012

A beloved classic

I'll go as far as to say this is one of the best television shows ever made. It's easy to see why! This series is family-friendly and pulls at the heartstrings. It also has its lighthearted moments, and even some funny moments! (For instance, I personally think Mrs. Oleson can be hilarious, but she's awful! You just love to hate her.) This is a classic.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bycheerbear11 February 11, 2010

Perfect for Young and old alike

I love the show. It has good role models. It teaches you how to deal with difficult people such as a Nellie Oleson. It has good values. It teaches you about perseverance. It teaches you not to make fun of people who are different. It one episode it even teaches young people to stay away from drugs and I think that's awesome.
Adult Written byshannjill April 9, 2008

In a world of "That's so Raven" (not on at our house), I am truly surprised that my eight year old will watch this at all, but no fail when she hears the intro. she comes running. A family show that teaches values and respect towards parents instead of who's wearing the best outfit, I'm all in!
Adult Written byJEDI micah August 26, 2012

A little boring.

I don't want anyone to hate me for saying this, but I don't find this show entertaining. My sister loves it, and when she turns the channel to see this, I just roll my eyes. That is my opinion, so no one has to agree with me!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymomjen September 11, 2010

Great show

We love it! Teaches children life lessons in each show. Also teaches them how we use to live, how to get along, how to have fun even without everything, family values, and respect for others.
Adult Written bySuperJoe April 9, 2008

Adult Written byTrekkifulshay April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymrnocal April 9, 2008

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byF-250 April 9, 2008

Great series for kids!

I love sitting with my two daughters and watching this. Never have to worry about objectionable content.