Parent reviews for Lost in Space

Remake of 1960s sci-fi series is classic fun; some violence.

Adult Written bylisa s. April 29, 2018

Beware! Too many parents only watch the first episode or two and make their opinion from that. PG 14.

It is shocking that this show is allowed to be rated PG instead of PG 13 or even PG 14, because a lot of parents expect PG 13 to be mild. There is a scene where a woman knocks her sister out and then proceeds to slit her sister's wrists with a scalpel so that it looks like she committed suicide, so she can assume her identity. They show the scalpel slit each wrist and blood seep out. It is quite syrupy, but never-the-less. This is a very adult theme that young children should not be privy to, especially unexpectedly. Why give children ideas like this instead of preserving their innocence? Some younger children might be hardened to these themes, but ask yourself why? Why are we in such a rush to grow them up so fast? Is it lazy parenting? We are most likely promulgating our own fears.
Parent Written byJason D. April 14, 2018

Fun and entertaining, but language rating needs to be updated

I think the review of this show is based only on the first episode. It just came out yesterday so that does not surprise me but the review needs to state that since episode 2 has more language than the first episode. I started watching with my kids, episode 1 was great. Started episode 2 but I had to turn it off after the hearing a couple of curse words that were not reported in the initial review. I have finished the series by myself, I really enjoyed it. The cursing is not constant, but there is enough mixed throughout the series that I can't watch this with my kids like I had hoped.

Adult Written byMrChuck99 April 15, 2018

Language not suitable for kids.

Show had a good start and language section only takes into account the first episode which is clean, fun and entertaining. It just goes down hill when a young soldier appears using words like a*ssh*le, What the f**k etc. In the third episode you have a loud "Son of a Bitch".

Adult Written bySandra D. April 25, 2018

Extremely Disturbing- I cannot understand why the media keeps saying "Family Friendly" over and over....

There is everything from being trapped inside ice, to being almost killed, to purposefully making oneself bleed to prove a point, to multiple counts of murder, to dead bodies complete with the glassy eyes, and even one of the scenes where they show a woman slit her sister's arm, close-up complete with blood. The character is obviously quiet a psycho and plays the part very well. If you want your kids exposed to violence, death, blood, and very disturbing scenes, this is for you. This is the type of thing that should not be rated "family friendly"

Parent Written byJ H April 21, 2018

May be scary, and limited bad language, but is otherwise quite tame

This is fine for younger children who understand the nature of fiction. The robot plot is compelling to young kids, though the character may scare some in it's more aggressive iteration. There is no sex, and adult themes will likely go over kids' heads. Characters are in constant peril, but the violence is limited, with little blood. The language accords with a PG rating, and I would like to point out that the f-word is alluded to but not used. This show will be fine for your family if you are willing to acknowledge the existence of danger, divorce and bad people, and feel that your children know to refrain from using bad language.

Adult Written byPrude L April 30, 2018

Netflix site says just PG - IT IS NOT

Although the rating on the Netflix site says just PG - IT IS NOT. There are scary scenes and cuss words, in the second episode the main character says a..hole. the scary and life threatening scenes with the little kid in it was very disturbing for my kids (under 12). we stopped watching after the second episode as it wasn't suitable for my kids. I like watching the series just not with kids
Parent Written byniki a. April 16, 2018

Not PG

By episode 3, this is definitively PG-13 caliber --not PG as stated on Netflix. Language and graphic violence become pronounced by episode 3. The swearing and then the graphic cutting of Parker Palmer's sister's wrist puts this series in a more mature age range than PG.

Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byBryan S. April 16, 2018

Very good show but contains some adult language and violence

The premise of LIS is very good and I've enjoyed watching it so far. The production value and acting is very good, and storylines are compelling. But you need to know this show contains way more adult language and violence/scary stuff over the course of the series than the review leads you to believe. I was very frustrated when we heard language not expressed in the review (SOB, S#!T, etc.). Also, the plot is a bit too involved for our 8-year-old to easily follow (shifting back and forth in time or how a submerged/flooded ship is instantly restored to dry/usable condition). We regularly have to pause and explain things. There are also grown-up themes that younger kids won't understand, such as a marriage on the brink of divorce (when the relationship seemed perfect at the beginning of the first episode) and a callous betrayal (leaving an ally and critically wounded person to die). Since most adults will enjoy this series, I'd suggest you'd give it a preview if you're wondering if your family might not be ready. It's good enough to watch twice IMO.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byalan l. April 23, 2018

For Messages like: "The Robinson family sticks together" and how they never give up

It can be hard to find interesting and appropriately engaging and challenging family stories to watch together with kids. This is compelling and nuanced for adults, and with guidance, is okay for kids form 11 or 12, depending what they can take. My suggestion, if you have sensitive kids in the 11-12 range, is watch each episode FIRST so you're ready to guide on what they may need help with. For example, my 11 y.o. kid can still find "peril" difficult (when they build tension and suspense as someone's life gets in more and more danger and they might die - even if its a kids animation). So I warned them before seeing Ep.1 about the child trapped in ice, and that (spoiler) they would survive, but that it gets very close. (it's tempting to binge watch anyway, and to me, the parent's relationship and tensions made more sense on second viewing of Ep.1). Thoroughly enjoyable series, although adults watching it together will experience it on a different level to kids (although kids are very interested in the family themes, observant of our relationships). Use your judgement based on the maturity level of your kids, but maybe watch ALL of the series before opening Pandora's Box. I.E. themes they might find hard, what level do action and gore they can manage? Violent scenes to skip, etc. And as for language, that isn't relevant on our case - mine don't swear (around us anyway), and based on the reviews here, a kids hears worse int he playground and on the radio. Mine don't curse , they can understand context, and not to repeat stuff they hear. They experience zero censorship on the radio (in Europe there is no censored "radio edit" of English lyrics - takes a bit of getting used to and then you live with it ! ). In summary, definitely be there to guide and hand-hold and then debrief interesting and challenging themes (worth discussing) with kids. From 13/14 and up no issues. I haven't viewed far ahead yet though, but based on the very helpful reviews here, we will proceed, and I will use the discussion questions from "Ragan B." helpful discussion questions. the trick will be to make discussion of them natural.

Parent Written byMOMof3Kiddos April 23, 2018

For mature kids

This show contains high stress situations and real life issues, divorce, abandonment, one character has a troubled past and has killed someone, Mental illness, PTSD, Being trapped in confined spaces and much more.

Parent Written byAngelique C. May 17, 2018

Awesome Adventure Story

I read the reviews here before attempting to watch the Netflix show with my kids (8 & 10). I was leery after all the warnings about blood and violence. My kids are SUUUUPER sensitive to scary images and situations, but enough people said it was worth a try that my hubby and I decided to give it a go. It. Is. Awesome. This is an intelligent adventure story with massive heart. My kids love the show- even my TWO year old follows the action stories- and we parents enjoy it too. It is SO rare to find a show that the whole family can truly enjoy. Some idea of other shows we have watched and enjoyed that are in the same league as LIS: RWBY, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Doctor Who, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've seen some parents worried about the violence in this show- what I've noticed is that nearly all of the "violence" would be of a 'man vs nature' theme. By and large, no PEOPLE are violent toward one another. There are ongoing struggles of the space colonists dealing with a ship wreck and their struggles surviving the environment. The largest human threat comes in the form of Dr. Smith who is more manipulative and self-interested than truly violent. There is one scene in the first or second episode where she temporarily incapacitates someone and makes a small, surgical incision in this person's arm. There is a tiny trickle of blood. The show also offers opportunity to discuss deep questions with my kids: should we tell if someone tells us to keep a secret? How much responsibility is good for a kid? When should kids disobey authority figures? What does it mean to be dependable? Does using a tool to do something harmful absolve one of responsibility? And for all that- the show is FUN! Exciting, immensely watchable with awesome cliff hangers. If you like action/adventure shows and want something for your tweens & above, try Lost In Space. :)

Parent of a 9, 12, and 17 year old Written byalanteew April 16, 2018

A really good family drama

If your kid gets scared easily or hasn't heard basic curse words, this isn't for them. On the other hand, if they want to see a very tight nuclear family that goes the distance for each other, sacrificially, no matter what, you might rush this show to the top of your queue.

Parent Written bySarah C. April 27, 2018

Not for kids!

I enjoyed watching the show but it is definitely not appropriate for kids. Every episode has at least one curse word. There are many intense & scary situations.

Adult Written byAman S April 14, 2018

Horrible language, not suitable for kids.

F on language. Language includes ass**le, bitching, and incomplete what the fu**, it is incomplete but obvious what was said.

Parent Written byally s April 22, 2018

Funny dialogue, great plot! Please make season 2!

This show is just the best. Great message about working together with your family. The characters are relatable and hilarious. My child (13) and I watched it together in a week and she and I both loved it! It was so interesting, fast-paced, and funny. Not to mention, the show is tame enough for ages 12+, possibly even 11+ . There is a little bit of language, but she is mature enough to know what and what not to say. What more could you ask for in a show? We can't wait until Season 2 comes out! Hopefully it's as good as the first! Simply can't say enough good things about it.

Parent Written byTerry212am July 7, 2018

this IS the best family-friendly scifi on Netflix. Period.

A lot of parents are taking time to say they disagree with professional reviews that this is family-friendly. Frankly, I think they're wrong. It is NOT G-rated, but it is ALSO not PG-13. It is firmly in the PG camp. There is minor swearing...maybe one PG curse per episode. The violence is also in the PG camp. Certainly less violent than, say, Star Wars (the original movie). The "slit the sister's wrists" thing is wildly overblown in other reviews. The Dr. Smith character (Emmy-worthy) is a scheming coward, not a brutal killer. She drugs her sister's wine to steal her identity, and the camera CLEARLY shows that she is okay and just tied up, not left to die. The blood draw was just to draw her DNA to help with the identity theft. It was NOT a murder or attempted murder. The female roles are the strongest in sci-fi, which makes it great for anyone with a daughter (especially in an age where we are trying to move girls closer to science as a career). The messages are about science, family, perseverance, trust, hope, and love. Every time the family encounters a PG dilemma where a main character is in danger, they escape the danger and survive by working together and not giving up. The message is that good is stronger than evil, that people can make up for mistakes, that forgiveness is a virtue, and that science is exciting. There is enough meat on the bone and great acting and twists to keep parents entertained, too. There is no uncomfortable sexual stuff. Teenage flirting and the parents kissing when they survive some peril. It's the classic family-friendly setup...good for kids and adults. For all of the PG aspects, parents can pause and discuss those aspects. There is 10 times the cursing in any Spielberg movie from the 80s. My 8-year-old daughter loved the show, and so did I. It doesn't encourage violence or sex or a lack of empathy or rebellion; it's the exact opposite. It encourages love, family, and teamwork. Sort of like Harry Potter, except that it's also got the great message of SCIENCE being exciting (not fictional magic).

Parent Written byYvette G. April 29, 2018
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHeath V. April 18, 2018

Great Reboot of a classic. Can’t wait for Season 2

This show is done really well. The casting of the Judy character is strange but you get used to it. Strange not because she’s black and the family is white, but because she looks too young for the character she’s playing. Although the actress is 23 in real life she often looks like she’s 16. Very exciting and entertaining.

Adult Written byNessa2003 August 10, 2018

My daughter and I watch it together...

My daughter is almost 12yrs old, mature for her age, and we talk to her about the realities of media, sex and profanity. I'm not sure what Lisa S. is referring too in her review, but you don't see wrist slashing, but instead she leaves her sister tied up to steal her identity. (Maybe different in Canada then the US) This specific character, my daughter and I love to hate! There are some scene which are scary, violent and profanity but if you watch it with you child, I think its an entertaining show to watch.
Parent Written byAndamanOz July 10, 2018

Suicide Allert

Just to add to previous reviews that there is a scene where Will hugs the robot and calls him the best friend he has ever had and then asks him to step over the edge of a cliff and they show the robot falling and breaking into pieces. The mind views this as the child asking his best human friend to kill himself and so it is incredibly distressing for both child and adult. Parents need to know about this scene and so I would not recommend this show for children based on this scene alone.