Parent reviews for Lost

Excellent, sometimes scary drama for fearless families.

Parent Written byEducateNoCensor February 15, 2011

great series to watch as a family

We watched the dvd series as a family, and any questionable content turned out to be a great gateway for family discussions. Of course, island mystery theories were the biggest topic. While I would not have wanted my 10 year olds watching it on their own, it was fine in a family setting.
Adult Written bycyber_mom4 September 25, 2009

Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess August 9, 2012

Great Show for 12 and Up, and Any Younger Kids Mature Enough to Handle It

Violence: There's violence in a lot of episodes, but nothing too excessive. A lot of it is just stuff like punching and kicking, but weapons are also used, especially guns. There's some blood and gore, but unless you have a very weak stomach, most people should be able to handle it. The goriest is probably the first death caused by "The Monster", but you can easily look away if it's too much for you. A lot of characters die, sometimes in horrific ways like being blown up by dynamite. One character is a torturer and he is shown torturing another character in season one.----Sex: There is some sex in Lost, but nothing graphic is shown. Mostly it's just implied by showing two characters laying in bed together or it is mentioned after the fact. The most graphic scene shows two characters kissing passionately and groping each other and it's implied they have sex. Meanwhile, other characters happen to see them on a surveillance video. -----Language: It isn't too bad. D*mn, h*ll, a*s, b*tch, you know the usual. ------- Drinking, drugs, and smoking: Characters are sometimes shown drinking heavily in flashbacks and sometimes in the present day they'll have a beer or two. One character is a heroin addict at the beginning of the series, but manages to beat his addiction later on. In flashforwards later on in the series, one of the characters has become addicted to painkillers. -----Positive Messages, Role Models: I don't think there's really an overall message to Lost, and I wouldn't really say that any characters are great role models. Everyone in the show is flawed, sometimes being selfish, manipulative, and even murderous, but there are also instances where their actions are incredibly admirable. A few characters even give their lives to help the other survivors in some way. It wouldn't be a good idea to try to follow in the footsteps of any one character though because even though they might make great sacrifices for the people they care about, there's a good chance they may also lie, cheat, steal, and possibly even kill.------Scariness: I thought I should mention that although this site mentions that Lost is scary, it rarely is. When I first started watching, I only did so in the day time because of what this site said, but I soon realized that just about the scariest thing you're going to see is mysteriously rustling trees. There's some very suspenseful scenes, but this show is in no way horror, as I found this site sort of made it out to be.----How good is it?: I absolutely loved this show overall, but there's a reason I gave it only four stars. Season one and two are fantastic, and season 3 is also good, but season 4, I wasn't a HUGE fan of, although I still enjoyed it. By five and six, I didn't find myself getting as excited over it as I used to, but I kept watching to get to the end. I can recall at least one episode in season six where I just sat there, as bored as if I was back in high school Math, but really, don't let that stop you from watching it. It's a great show and seasons 1-3 are definitely worth watching, even if you don't continue watching after that (although once you're that far in, you'll probably want to keep watching to see what happens)---AGE?: I think that most 12 year olds should be able to handle this show. The language isn't anything they haven't heard before and they're mature enough to handle the sex, drugs, and violence. If you have a mature 10 or 11 year old, this show might be okay for them too. If the sex is your biggest concern, you can always fast forward the sex scenes, but the violence is pretty crucial to the plot, so if your child can't handle it, this show is not for them.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written byShellsWells October 8, 2009

Love LOST! Just beware... it may be too much for ages under 13.

LOst is one of the best series I've ever watched! I hate that it will be ending. With that said- it can be very violent and sometimes a little too on the edge with the sex scenes. So use "common sense" if you have young ones- this show can be intense and probably over their heads anyway. Ages 13 and up will enjoy- sometimes you just may have to screen an episode if you are concerned with the sexual/violent content. The acting is top notched as well as the music, and storyline. COOOOOL show- if you're not LOST- I recommend buying all the previous seasons- and get ready for the finale- season 5 is coming up! No doubt- it will be excellent!

Adult Written bytoots1960 April 9, 2008
Yes Lost has gone alittle far on the show with the fighting and killing and all but my 12 yr old daughter and I just LOVE the show we watch it every week.
Adult Written bypaintball1234 April 9, 2008

Best Show!!!!

A great Show to watch!!!!
Adult Written byDragon Reborn April 9, 2008

Site review error

This site (not a parent reviewer) claims that Lost demonstrates sexual tension between half siblings. This is incorrect. The show suggests sexual/love between adult step siblings. The step sisters mother married the step brother's father when they were 16-18 years old. The father died soon after and there are no blood relations. Get your facts straight
Adult Written byhyperactress23 May 19, 2010

Adult Written bycagseg April 9, 2008

Great, but not for young ones

I absolutely love this show. Well acted, good story lines, and you can't seem to keep from wondering what happens next. However, the drug use, frequent arugments, and occasionally bloody fights would keep me from allowing my 9 year old to watch it. For those with mature tweens, watching together with open discussion could be for interesting together time.
Adult Written byicantfindausern... October 28, 2015

CSM, rate this show 5/5

For some reason TV shows are always rated 4/5 on CSM. The only exception to this that I have found is Twin Peaks. Even Breaking Bad is 4/5. Anyways, this shows is brilliant. From the very first episode, there is suspense, mystery, drama, and a cast of dynamic and engaging characters. There is something magical about the show that only this show has. While there are some stinker episodes (Fire + Water), they are completely overshadowed by not only all of the other amazing episodes (The Constant, Through the Looking Glass), but also the twisty storyline and nail-biting mystery. Main characters get killed off, which is something that needs to happen more on TV. This show is fearless when it comes to death, and it really isn't afraid to make the viewer cry. *spoilers* Charlie's death is one of the most amazingly tragic moments ever put onto the small screen. There is nothing to really show how amazing this show is except the show itself. Watch it. It will not disappoint.
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byklcjg2009 November 16, 2011

Can't wait for the day when we can share Lost with our kids!

First let me say that Lost is my favorite show of all time. I can not wait to share it with my children... when they are older. Much older. My first reason for this has nothing to do with inappropriate content. It has to do with the fact that this is a *thinking* show. It is heavily layered and there's a lot of jumping back and forth, which makes it (even for a die-hard viewer) difficult at times to follow. I want to watch it with my kids when they are at an age that they can really "get it" and enjoy it along with us. This is a deep show, with many messages (spiritual, political, moral, sexual, etc). I think we won't attempt to watch it with our kids until they are 15 at least. I know we won't be sorry, and I'm looking forward to the day when my husband and I can revisit this amazing show through the eyes of new viewers... our kids! They know about how much we love the show, and they know one day we will sit down as a family and have a Lost marathon! Now for my other reasons. It's an adult show, simply put. With adult themes and lots of violence, romance and language. Enough said.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysweetiemarch July 8, 2010

Perfect for Older Mature Teens, but Not for Tweens!

LOST is AWESOME! I let my daughter see it, and she is fine with it, but she is pretty mature when it comes to violence! There are some scenes that you might want to skip if you are having a family night, but all in all a great TV show! If you are a worried parent when it comes to violence watch it before hand and skip all the gory parts! Our family is addicted to LOST! There are some sex scenes but it is pretty tame! As I said before just fastforward you will hardly miss anything except the death of someone or a relationship that you can just inform your kids of after you have skipped it! :D

Adult Written byYoda123 March 29, 2010

Amazing, complex show. Start at the beginning

In my opinion, the best show on television. The plot is complicated and keeps you guessing, the characters are deep and feel real and there are a lot of positive underlying themes. Redemption, faith, sacrifice and seeing what a person is made of in the worst situation possible all play a role although it's hard to discuss without spoiling anything. Start from the beginning. Don't jump in or you will be lost in the references and the plot will be overly confusing.

Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014
violent

Adult Written bytera_7 April 9, 2008

An amazing show!

A wonderful show that is already in its 3rd season. One must be advised that yound children probably shouldn't be watching it, but a yound teen audience would enjoy!
Adult Written byhorse_gerbil April 9, 2008

Good show.

Not for young children, but otherwise, very great! Small amounts of language, sex, and large amounts of violence. May cause nightmares for younger than 12.
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

Amazing

Television shows these days do not get any better than lost. It is entertaining, action packed, thought provoking, and every episode makes you want more and more. The down part though is the lack of providing answeres which really leaves you hanging. The season 3 finale was amazing and lost fans like me just cannot weait for the 4th season. A great show for any kids 12 and up
Parent Written byuni C. June 25, 2017

Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byRomamis January 29, 2010
I love this show...there has never been any better. Its probably because of the mystery and conversation starters that come about. Now, as for my kids, I donnot let them see it alone nor do they watch new episodes with me. Because of the world we live in, I have filter all shows/movies before they can watch...this goes for LOST too.