Kid reviews for MacGyver

80s action hero relies on smarts, not violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byGlowy826 July 5, 2019

An amazing, atypical action show! The writers are GENIUSES!

When I first saw the name of the show while I was scrolling through Amazon Prime Video, I thought "MacGyver" was the silliest name in the world. Now, I really appreciate the show. For one thing, Lee David Zlotoff and the rest of the writers are GENIUSES! They thought of an original idea that was a huge risk in terms of action shows at the time. I also love how they started showing more real-world problems in Season 4. For example, in "Blood Brothers," they promoted gun control. Also, in "The Challenge," they promoted racial equality and the end of drug abuse. (I would advise against showing children ages 12 and younger some episodes in Season 4, because especially in "The Challenge," there are a LOT of emotional, hard-to-take scenes, especially with MacGyver himself. You shouldn't show your children "Runners" or "Blood Brothers" either if they're under 13.) I like how they realize that you don't need to swear in order for a show to be "cool". MacGyver himself almost NEVER swears, and whenever he does, it's something mild, like "damn". In fact, none of the characters swear that much. MacGyver says "heck" for crying out loud! I also like that MacGyver isn't like most secret agents. He's a mild-mannered, modest man who likes to help others when they're in trouble. He also has a wide variety of interests which a LOT of people can relate to, unlike most secret agents. He likes hockey, skiing, painting, racing, playing the guitar, and collecting classic Western films. MacGyver also has a sense of compassion and emotion, and he isn't all steely-faced like a lot of action heroes. All in all, this series shouldn't have been a sleeper hit in the 80s. It should've been one of those mainstream hits with a bunch of Emmy awards. I'D definitely give ALL the Emmy awards to "MacGyver". The acting is excellent, the writing is fantastic, and I'd totally recommend it to someone else. "MacGyver" has earned my stamp of approval.

Kid, 9 years old June 19, 2018

MacGyver

MackGyver is a man who always saves a woman and somebody tries to kill him and is a problem solver he also hats GUNS! He's always is in a trap, He's brilliant, And always saves someone. He make stuff out of stuff, He made a hang glider out of satellite wings.

Mac is THE BEST!!! MacGyver is really fun to watch with his adventures. I wold recommend it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byw1n5t0n September 2, 2010
i loved MACGYVER. he is a great role model as he actively opposes guns, drugs and smoking and is extremely healthy. he also teaches resourcefulness, determination, the importance of facing your fears and the power of knowledge. but most importantly that, if you think it through, you can solve most anything with witty humor and a Swiss Army penknife.

Kid, 11 years old April 8, 2010

Educational Entertainment

MacGyver is a cool show where (like it says above) he tries to use his smarts to beat the bad guy. There is some violence, mainly fistfights and occasional gunplay. Kids can learn from this how to survive is a dangerous situation.

Teen, 13 years old Written bychallenger December 28, 2009

Perfect for anyone at 10 and over

It's allways good
Teen, 14 years old Written bythebooklili June 14, 2020

Sexist portrayal

While otherwise a good show, women are portrayed as weak, and are almost always “saved” by Macgyver, and people of color are virtually nonexistent
Teen, 14 years old Written byIt's so underrated December 13, 2016

Very cool, but too much cussing...

It's an exciting typical 80s show. However, almost every episode has at least 3 cuss words in it on average...