All parent member reviews for Mako Mermaids: An H2O Adventure

Educator and Parent Written byHelenia August 7, 2013

Very nicely done, casting, colours, music effects are very well done, can't wait for season 2 :)

Watched the H2o Just Add Water, this is a spin-off but they made an excellent job! not only the casting was good but also, the story surrounds real mermaids unlike the other series that they where humans turned into mermaids. Lots of colours, great music, laughter, fun and adventure! good for all ages! I definatelly suggest this to anyone.
Parent Written bypwatcher August 21, 2013

Three girls obsessed with making a boy "normal" because otherwise he's a threat

I have watched the 13 episodes that have been released so far. I feel this series has a lot of negative messages in it so I won't be sharing it with my kids. Some of the messages... a) Family won't stick with you if you do something wrong or if you aren't "normal". b) It's ok to gang up on someone because he/she is different or has something you want. c) It's ok to judge someone on the actions of his/her ancestors. d) Adults are not good role models. and e) Skewed version of friendship. --paragraph-- In the first episode, the girls mess up in their guard duties and their entire family/community abandons them. In the following 12 episodes, we follow various schemes the girls have for stripping Zac of his newfound abilities and tail. Any positive qualities the girls possess are being directed toward achieving that goal. Zac has not shown himself to be any sort of a threat. The mermaids have just decided that a human transforming into a merman is a bad thing. And around episode 8, they decide that him acquiring a certain object is a bad thing based on what some mermen did with it in the distant past. This may be building to something, and the second half of the season may turn things around, but to this point (5+ hours in), most of what I see are teens behaving badly. --paragraph-- Below are some specific examples and SPOILERS. --paragraph-- Let's start with family. Lyla, Sirena, and Nixie mess up in their duty to guard the moon pool and what is the response? Their families abandon them completely. The whole pod just up and leaves without listening to their explanation. Aquata (Sirena's sister) has a tearful good-bye, but still willingly abandons her sister. Aren't families supposed to stick together? These are underage girls that are being left to fend for themselves for a simple error in judgement. Zac is eager to show his powers to his best friend, but keeps the secret from his parents, with whom he otherwise appears to have a good relationship. --paragraph-- Rita (older mermaid living as a human) is the adult we have seen the most. She initially tells the girls to go back to the sea because there's so much they don't understand. Eventually she caves and lets the girls stay if they agree to listen to her, but she pretty much leaves them to their own devices except when they need to be bailed out. For example, she tells them they have to buy clothes instead of stealing them, but doesn't show them how to get money. They steal gold coins from her to buy clothes and then when the sales person threatens to call the cops, Rita bails them out with a "won't you ever learn" grimace, but still doesn't teach them how to earn money or require them to pay her back. In another episode, Rita catches someone stealing exam answers. Instead of confronting him, she gives out the wrong exam to the students (everyone fails) and then lets everyone take a corrected exam a few days later. No real consequences for doing the wrong thing and stealing the test in the first place. Not a lot of positive adult role models in this show. --paragraph-- I see a lot of negative friendship themes. Nixie and Serina appear to be friends, but Lyla is the outsider. Overall, she comes off as being bossy, mean, and self-centered. Most of the softening you see in her character in the first 13 episodes is because she's falling for Zac, not because she is becoming friends with Nixie and Sirena. If the pod came back today, I think Lyla would go back to avoiding Nixie and Sirena. These girls are like the stereotypical mean girl clique; they are together to plot against another person, not to enjoy each other's company. They bail each other out of trouble to protect their own hides, not out of love for each other. They are not interested in making any friends among the humans, with the exception of the romantic attraction between David and Sirena. One of the plans the girls hatch is to become "friends" with Zac and convince him to get rid of his powers. The argument given against that plan is not that it's wrong or mean, but that it won't work because Lyla isn't likable. It backfires on them not because they didn't get him to trust them, but because they made an impetuous grab for the trident. The message being it would have worked out fine if they had been more subtle or patient. These are supposed to be our heroines? --paragraph-- The friendship between Zac and Cam (nominally, his best friend) also seems very one sided. Cam seems willing to do a lot for Zac to help him cover his secret, but Zac treats him pretty poorly and without any gratitude. For example, at one point, Cam is trying to talk to Zac about how hard a time Cam is having running interference with Evie, Zac's girlfriend, over a pool party (which would likely expose Zac's secret). Zac ends the discussion by snapping, "Just find a way to stop what she's planning" rather than helping Cam come up with a plan. Another time, Zac tells one of the girls something like, "Cam knows what I want him to know."
Parent Written byfrancescom March 3, 2015