All parent member reviews for Martha Speaks

Parent Written byjbj6 June 15, 2011

love it

Adult Written byRecessGymClass August 29, 2016

I was never a fan of the books, but this is atrocious.

This show is a big, fat failure on so many levels. Here is why: The theme song is annoying. The lyrics are bad, the music is poor, and the beat is bland and predictable. The animation would be SO much better if it wasn't flash animation. The character movements are just plain bad. If it was hand-drawn, it would look so nice. However, the flash animation makes the character movements so bad, it atomatically (sorry I spelled that wrong) makes it awful. I think Martha is a cute character, very charming like CSM says, but even she can't save this show from the one star rating i'm giving it. I think Helen is a boring character. TD is SO annoying, his personality just makes me want to jam my head into a wall. Truman is also annoying, Helen's Dad is stupid, Alice has a very weird personality, and those two guys who want to kidnap Martha are just lackluster characters, whose personalities go nowhere. The episodes that focus on them are just the worst, even worse than the show itself. When this show attempts humor like another bad PBS Kids show, WordGirl, it is just stupid. The storylines fall flat. Filled with plot holes and some have been done on TV over 1, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 times already. Which is just lazy. Besides Martha, I like how it teaches children vocabulary words that are interesting, and very useful, just like WordGirl (mentioned before). This show also has good morals for kids, which I like. However, even that can't save this show. This is one of the worst PBS Kids shows ever. It is number five on the list. I'm so glad this is gone.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bySazz Menazz April 9, 2010

Fun way to build vocabulary

Cute show, funny, and really helps build vocabulary. My 5 year old loves it and would rank it with Arthur, Charlie and Lola, and Electric Company as her favourite shows.
Uncle of a 10 year old Written byPBSFanFromChile November 18, 2016

Martha rocks!!!

My nephew grews up with Martha. When this programme came to Latin America, it was a hit. Even he loved the programme. This series was produced by 'GBH in Boston (the same producers behond Curious George).
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byIliana W. September 14, 2016

Martha Speaks...

My daughter has started using words like "splendid" or "revolting" in her voacbulary. She is 3, so this is a giant improvement. We are going to keep her watching this show, so she can wow her kindergarten teacher next year. I am "eager" for the next episode to come on! (Martha's word of the episode from last week)
Parent Written byOdysseas'sBaba November 8, 2015

Brilliantly and engaging for very verbal seven year old

Our extraordinarily verbal seven year old loves this show. Sometimes he watches it over again although he knows the story. He also loves Curious George. When I asked why he likes it so much he said "I learn big words". I like the issues of ethics that are woven into these show. It amazingly engaging for much younger but also for much older kids, also teens and adults.
Parent Written byAtlMom January 31, 2014

Martha Speaks is worth a look

Martha Speaks is one of those few kids shows that is actually entertaining to kids AND adults. There are jokes for everyone. My son is a little young (6) to understand some of the more complex words. But I like how they explain them and put them into use. And, for the record, Martha tells the grandfather she wished he'd die because her owner opened the bottom of the can of vegetable soup, which made Martha say the opposite of what she meant. The kids are pretty real and not too sugary sweet, too. Worth a look!
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 7, 2013

MY pros and cons.

PROS: Teaches loads of vocab (4-8) Teaches some vocab (9-12) Teaches little vocab (13+) Entertaining, enjoyable, all my kids watched this, no signs of boredness while watching, funny, good character personalities, reviews of words at the end, non-babyish show, non-annoying voices, good lessons, friendship, non-sexual references, no major violence, no major language, cute dog segment at the end. CONS: Annoying theme song, Unrealistic, some name calling, some fights, some hitting, some sexual innuedo (one time the lady was pregnant, kids don't need to know that!), dumb idea. (really, if a dog eats letter soup, the letters lose their way and go to their brain, then make the dog talk????)
Parent of a 2 year old Written byemmecj January 19, 2011
It is entertaining and one I do not mind watching along (along with Arthur.)
Parent of a 5 year old Written bykelliemejia929 June 6, 2010

Great vocabulary builder

Parent of an infant and 4 year old Written bydebflinch April 16, 2010
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypogostick February 11, 2010

Words, words, words

Fun for kids and adults too. Nice to introduce more words in a cohesive story. FYI: My kid still won't eat alphabet soup though.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 13 year old Written byProtectiveCouns... January 25, 2010

Really expands her vocabulary - look out SAT

We love it -- I love hearing my four year old use the vocabulary words that she just learned from the episode later in the day! Family friendly - not too dorky - we all enjoy it even my 13 year old.
Adult Written byPhidias December 31, 2009

Perfect for Everybody!

I love it! That Martha asks questions when she does not understand is wonderful. Children--and adults--should be encouraged to ask questions when they do not understand. Always answering the questions is good. Answering in language listeners can understand is good. The many human qualities of Martha make it easy to identify with her--happy, sad, helpful, sympathetic, inquisitive, smart, etc.
Parent of a 2, 10, and 14 year old Written bypharesml October 2, 2009
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymy.hero.ty August 17, 2009

doesn't understand but still likes it

My son doesn't understand much of this but he likes to watch it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bykrypto fan August 15, 2009
i love when she dreams of becomeig a firehous dog
Adult Written byDanielle124 April 21, 2009

So cute!

Better story lines than most toddler shows, great vocab lessons, but a 2-3 year old can still follow it.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysclinton December 4, 2008

Educational and entertaining

My 4 year old son loves Martha Speaks. He is learning new words and their definitions. He often explains to me, in detail, what new words he is learning mean and gives situations when you would need to use that particular word. He then tells me which episode he saw this on. This show is really helping expand his vocabulary.