Parent reviews for @midnight

Hilarious late-night fare has copious sex talk, language.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byxaltrockgirlx February 6, 2015

Better Than it Looks

For the longest time, I wouldn't watch this show. Don't know why, but something about it turned me off. So I watched my Daily Show, Colbert Report, then immediately turned the TV off and went to bed. But I didn't turn the TV off one night, and as I went to get a glass of water, I found myself caught up in it and watched the whole half hour. It made me snort-laugh a couple times.

While it can be really funny, the Common Sense review is right on the nose here. Personally, the swearing isn't the biggest problem, because a lot of it is bleeped, but if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, there are a fair amount of bleeps. There are mentions of drugs too (both legal and illicit), including a particular comedian who looks high every time he's on the show. Even that doesn't bother me. The references to sex though... whoo boy. This show's purpose is to laugh those kind of laughs that you have to otherwise you'd blush so hard you'd burn up. I love that kind of humor (sex-positive feminist here, I believe comedy is way of breaking taboos)... but a I know a lot of parents do not (including my own, which is why I usually watch the show by myself in the basement).

However, there is the occasional good message, at least according to my ideals. Hardwick's #FreeTheNipple rant was spot-on (like I said, sex-positive feminist), you can check out just the speech segment on Comedy Central's website. Speaking of feminist-y things, female representation here has vastly improved compared to most of Comedy Central's line-up (I think I can count the number of comediennes I've seen with their own headliners on one hand, and there's only two shows I can think of on the channel that are female-centered). The number of male and female comedians over the course of the whole show seem to be about 50/50 (some nights are all male, but some are all female, and then there's the nights with 2-1 for each). And they've recently talked explicitly about female representation (for Frozen and the new Ghostbusters movie).
The host, Chris Hardwick, is charming in a "Hollywood Nerd"-type way. You know, geeky but still approachable.

Overall, it's not exactly as much of an intellectual discourse like the shows that precede it, but a great way to unwind after the political churnings.