Parent reviews for Mister Rogers' Neighborhood

Classic series gently promotes social skills, imagination.

Adult Written byLowe's man March 30, 2014

much to be gained

If you haven't seen MISTER ROGERS'S NEIGHBORHOOD in ages, it's easy to forget how educational the show is. Mister Rogers and his neighbors and guests show how things are made, what they're used for, etc. The field trips are interesting as well, as they show kids (and adults) places that they otherwise might not see. Mister Rogers also tells his audience that their emotions are ok, that it's their behavior that they need to watch (a message we all occasionally need to hear). The Neighborhood of Make-Believe also does a good job at reinforcing the messages of the day's show, and with a story and characters that kids can relate to and understand. But the best part of the show, at least from my perspective as an adult, is that a job is a job. For example, Mister Rogers doesn't put his doctor on top, Mr. McFeely farther down, his garbage collector on the bottom, etc. In Mister Rogers's Neighborhood, all jobs are important in their own way. This is something we all sometimes need to be reminded of. There are many good things about this show. And if any of you ever go near Latrobe, PA, be sure to stop at the Mister Rogers Visitors Center.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byrubyred August 29, 2009

Very good for small children

My 2-3 year old watches this whenever it comes on. It is such a quiet, slow paced show, and my child sits down quietly and watches the program. He really listens to Mr. Rogers and loves the trolley. I believe these quiet type programs will help our children to be quiet peaceful type children. All the shows that yell at our children loudly, like some sort of aroebics PE teachers, are helping our children become loud shouting type of people. Its not okay. We need to teach our children how to find peace, especially within themselves. If they can do that, they can remain stable and find peace as adults. You won't be scared sending them off to college, guys.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byEDanner July 15, 2009

Best Children's Show, Ever.

I watched Mr. Rogers as a child, and was delighted to find it was still airing (although quite disappointed at how few times a week). The calm pacing of the show is inviting and comforting to small children (and their stressed parents). The factory tours are interesting for all ages, the land of make believe is engaging, and everyone can appreciate being told that they are liked for who they are. The songs are timeless, as are the themes of dealing with emotions, fears, and other issues important to the business of growing up. One of the few children's shows that says it's okay to be angry, you just need to know how to deal with your own anger; a lesson many adults could use. The world would be a much nicer place if everyone spent a little time watching this show.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bycwyatt June 17, 2011

Great preschool TV!

My memories dislike the make-believe part. I forgot how good the rest of the show was. Fred is always visiting musicians and neat people. There are always great factory tours on 'picture-picture'. My 5 year old knows how trumpets are made, wagon are made, crayons, construction paper, bass violins, and more. Wow! That's educational. When nap time went away, reading books and Mr. Rogers has provided some quiet time in our busy preschool day.

Adult Written byDejavu April 9, 2008
Adult Written byBonniesays April 9, 2008

Too bad there aren't many shows like this

This is a great show for preschoolers. It really addresses issues that are of concern for children this age, in a way that they can understand. The pace is not rushed and the material is top rate. It is too bad that only a few episodes are available as videos.
Adult Written byJanH April 9, 2008
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMrs. C. B. August 7, 2017

the best

Can't get better. It's a classic for a reason.

Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bydoodle_doodle May 31, 2016

Intense for younger ages

He tackles things that some children deal with but can be confusing, emotional, and intense for children who aren't dealing with those things.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

I Can't Begin to Recommend This Series Enough!

The best young children's series on TV. Nothing at all bad. Highly, highly, highly recommended!
Adult Written byrevawave April 9, 2008

Great tv for tots

My 2.5 yr old loves Mr Rogers and so do I. You learn so much on this show, from how to make tortilla chips to seeing trainers work woth killer whales. Excellent show.
Adult Written byChariot April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

always learning something new

i sit and learn along with my children with mr rogers. he teaches everything from how they make crayons to potty training.
Adult Written bydon k. December 27, 2017

給鄰居一個互動的情況也不錯

現在的事代人情味變得比較淡薄,如果有一些互動的情況更能增進大家的關係(大前提是不在打擾別人的情況下)

Adult Written bybarneyhater November 30, 2014

IMPRESSIVE

so much good messegagesand rolemodels

Adult Written byWesley D. June 10, 2018

death is the first major thing young kids have to deal with

Mister Roger was talking about a dead fish at first I was like, WHAAAT!?!? this should be on creepypasta its so- he was smiling??? what?? he talked about his dog Mitsy (midsy, mittcey??) and how she died when he was very young. His uncle and aunt bought him a toy dog. he made it go on its side(the death) and pop it back up(the resserection) Fred Rogers is the second coming of christ.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byElizabeth H. August 29, 2018
Adult Written byKaayKaay June 20, 2018

a great show

i love the show when i first seen it he was a nice guy on his own show and i thought it has no violence, it's educational, it's a show parentz, can watch with their kids.

Parent of an infant year old Written byDemi G. May 25, 2018

Great show for kids

Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood displays a tremendous example of what a kid's television show ought to be. Mr. Rogers effectively meets the needs of his young child audience by spending individual weeks discussing the ins and outs of various topics of life. He does not shy away from any of the harsh realities of life (death and divorce are not avoided). He straight forwardly, yet sensitively, explaining how to appropriately respond to life's biggest difficulties. One of the biggest differences that Mr. Rogers brings to kids television is that he moves at a noticeably slow pace in his actions and speech so as to tame the tendency of children to resort to a short attention span. Values such as patience, honesty, and forgiveness are presented through make-belief, fun scenarios that help engage children. Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood is a great choice for any parent to show their children. Christian families will find that the values shown in the program fall in line with the way their children are already being raised. As a result, the child's entertainment (time with the TV) is also a continuation of instilling values. Mr. Rogers brings integrity to his show, not letting the fantasy of "The Neighborhood of Make-belief" take away from the real world values being taught. He shows how all people have value, as one of his catch phrases is "I like you just the way you are". His show, coupled with proper family life, really helps build a child to be a caring individual, ready to be an empathetic, well-rounded member of society as an adult.