All parent member reviews for Monk

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMom to Tween January 23, 2011

Not too difficult for tween to understand

I couldn't disagree more with the assessment that kids won't get the humor. That was my 10-year-old's favorite part of the show. This is a great series that will keep both mom and tween engaged with plenty to talk about and laugh over -- together. Once this series became well-known and acclaimed, in the later seasons, we have some wonderful guest actors that make it really fun. Monk is endearing and in no way over a tween's head.
Adult Written byGracesbigsis July 14, 2010

Great show, may be too much for little kids but fine for tweens

Monk is one of my favorite shows. It's not gory or graphic. The actors are some of the best I've ever seen. The writing is extremely clever and witty. Other than a few innuendos or "sex-affiar," as Monk would call it, related crimes, there really is no strong sexual content. The main characters show each other respect and demonstrate what it is to be a true friend. Monk has a lot of issues to work through and each episode will likely have a moment in which you're laughing at some of his antics, or at some of the reactions to his antics, and then grabbing a hanky for a touching ending scene. I would recommend this show to anyone over 11. The only real issues are that some of the bodies, while tastefully filmed so that they're not graphic, may be just a little more bloody than you might want them to be. The murders can be very creepy so I advise parents not to let young children watch this. The language is very mild but it's nothing most tweens haven't heard from other TV shows they've likely seen. I don't understand some of Monk's bad reception, personally. There are a LOT more violent crime shows out there and this one is full of heart, charm, and wit. It isn't about the murder mysteries. It's about a man who is trying to cope with his many psychological issues and it's about the people in his life who are willing to help him, no matter how difficult it gets. I think that's a very positive message.
Adult Written byJennie Whitcomb April 9, 2008

Quirky characters who care for each other

While the opening "set up" scene often involves a violent crime, the heart of this show is the affection and empathy the characters have for one another. The characters accept one another's foibles and truly care for one another. These values trump the opener and occasional "swears." Plus, the dialogue is witty and the plot lines keep us all interested. This is one show that my entire family (kids 8 to 15) enjoys watching together. We all laugh out loud several times in each episode.
Adult Written bydharvell April 9, 2008

This Show Has Potential

The characters are very well written, as is the plot line. The only real thing holding me back from whole-heartedly recommending this show is the graphic violence. This includes a scene where a woman is dismembered in a garage, blood splashing all over the windows. At that point, the show went off our TV for good. If they could find a way to portray the murders in a less graphic way, this show would be awesome.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian December 31, 2012

Solve the Case--But Do Your Detective Work First

I give this crime show five stars because it's probably the only one on TV a Christian woman (and other discerning families) can watch for longer than 10 minutes without flinching. Monk is by turns endearing and annoying, and may be considered a positive influence on disability in the media. His way of solving cases will also hook anybody with the slightest "geek streak." The guy is delightfully human; who else stops a summation of a quadruple homicide to chastise a subway urinator? :) Being centered on murder, violence is a concern, although the camera is generally quite discreet for the genre. Capt. Stottlemeyer likes to indulge in profanity (SOB is about as rough as it gets, but still, it's there). Monk's assistant Sharona is fond of showing a little cleavage, and it's lightly implied she's had a promiscuous past. Murder victims are sometimes seen in bikinis, and affairs are often murder motives. Young kids shouldn't watch for these reasons, and because, as one reviewer noted, the show's premise is probably way over their heads. If you're a mature teen or adult, and either one of you is in need of something clean, yet intriguing, go for it.
Adult Written byrigreen77 April 9, 2008

Very Good show!

Me and my wife love Monk, it's one of the cleanist shows on!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder June 30, 2013

My review.

A very good show! My husband got me into this. There are small "son of a b*tch" and "d*mn you"'s in it. My 8 year old son enjoys this. I recommend this for 8+. Also some of this time when a character is murdered blood is shown. And some cases involve affairs. Oh, I forgot to mention that there is "What the h*ll" in it sometimes. However the newer ones are more children appropriate. I love every night seeing a new monk on netflix. If you like this I recommend "Psych" by the way.
Parent Written byjjjfffttt February 21, 2013

Love Monk. Can anyone recommend similar shows ???

My 10-year-old and I love it. Can anyone recommend other shows of similar quality for a smart 10-year-old??? I tried Columbo, but it's a bit slow (but still great tv)
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byclcfh August 25, 2012

Some episodes seem fine for a younger audience, with parental guidance

I'm usually pretty cautious about television, and sometimes prefer to wait beyond the ages recommended here, but I'm often OK with letting my almost 10 year old watch pre-screened episodes of Monk with me. Monk is an imperfect hero, which gives us plenty to talk about. We've also looked for the clues, learned new vocabulary, and discussed dated pop culture references. There are plenty of episodes without dating, realistic violence, or other questionable or worrisome topics. That said, there are also episodes where the issues are more serious, children are victims, sexual topics are featured, and the language is a bit less tame. Definitely one for parental guidance with younger viewers, but not off limits in my opinion.
Adult Written bystargategeek April 29, 2010

Adult Written byKitsune87 December 20, 2009

The best show that was on TV.
Parent of an infant, infant, 3, and 5 year old Written byMississippiQueen January 7, 2009

Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008

A Great show for older preteens.

Great show. There's not a lot of violence, or language or sex or drugs but there's just enough to make it TV PG. If your kids older than 10 know what, homicide, premeditated, affair and forensics mean this would be a good show for them.