Parent reviews for Mr. Robot

Computer-hacking antihero navigates anarchy, social anxiety.

Adult Written bydrcarpediem February 9, 2019

Excellent show, but does contain sensitive content

This show is excellent, well-written and extremely thought-provoking. I would definitely recommend this show to any adult who is looking for a accurate hacker drama. This show could been seen by VERY mature teens who understand sensitive topics of mental health, drug abuse, rape, and flexible lines between right and wrong. The morality of this show is very gray as the main character and most of the protagonists do illegal things all the time (hacking, stealing, drugs, etc ...). I will say that the instances involving illegal things always show the consequences in a reasonable way. All instances involving drugs don't paint them in a positive light in the end. In addition, all of the instances of sex that they graphically show serves a purpose to the plot. For instance, one of the male characters have sex with another man in order to get information on his phone. All in all, this show has some of the best writing and acting I have ever seen and can raise a lot of good questions for critically thinking individuals. The show can also encourage older teens the importance of learning how to code in a society that depends on technology as much as we do. This show also demonstrates how insecure all of our "secure" information is online and can help make people aware of vulnerabilities in our information security.

Adult Written bygjfx July 11, 2015

This could be such a cool show

The short version is that this is way too inappropriate for any kids (even teens). This should be an R rated, TV-MA show. There are many uncomfortable phrases, sexual acts, drug references, and very little redeeming quality.

Sadly, this could be such a cool show. Other shows on USA (take White Collar, for example) were still not something I'd put in front of young kids, but I'd be pretty darn embarrassed just sitting next to many adults I know with Mr. Robot. I love the hacker culture, and for once, a big TV network "gets" the hacking thing. But it's so riddled with other horrible things, that I can't recommend it. I honestly feel as though I've compromised by watching the first three shows. I hope that USA tones this one down a bit.. it's just way too unrestricted, morally and otherwise.

Adult Written byJav February 25, 2019

Mr. Robot Review

Very entertaining thriller! That puzzles us with so many questions and hungry for more.

Adult Written byiliescu July 31, 2018

Adult Written byamiga500 November 1, 2019

Good show, but has some very disturbing violence, and a few sex scenes

I would not want my children to see this. Some episodes are fairly mild. But even the recaps at the start can show the handful of awful scenes scattered randomly throughout the show. There's been sex scenes, including male-male and female-female. There's drug use, including people being injected by force. There's been all kinds of cold-blooded, gory and violent murders. Someone being hacked with an axe. People being shot. People committing suicide. All right there in your face. Not the sort of thing to give young children (or anyone) sweet dreams! I put my hand in front of my face sometimes whilst watching! I think the stories would work just as well with less of the blood. But people would probably say the show needs to darkness, the sinister side, for it to work... I keep watching because I want to know how it ends.

Adult Written bybifflical2757 November 25, 2018

Very inappropriate here and there

I think this is an absolutely amazing show which leaves you feeling great suspense and shock. The characters are portrayed brilliantly and I think Rami Malek did a great job of playing the main character Elliot by making you have a better understanding of his illnesses (Depression, social anxiety and paranoia) It can be a great show for anyone with any interest in that type of stuff or hacking and technology. I think there is a lot of drug use but I feel it's necessary to get across the point of how much Elliot is struggling to cope. I have to say that there is an unnecessary amount of sexual scenes but they aren't too graphic. This show definitely isn't suitable for people under 15 because of some of the scenes but although 15 is quite young for the type of show, it's only as bad as you make it and if you have a sensible and mature head then you'll be fine watching it and just see it as the amazing show it really is.

Parent of a 13, 15, and 17-year-old Written bybdumais July 15, 2016

Adults Only

The site review was much too kind. I should've spent more time reading the user reviews. This show is loaded with drug use (snorting, smoking pot and crack)- all kinds of sex including nudity and implied violent rape- and that's just the first two episodes. Could've been a great story, but USA had to gutterize it and try to play Starz. No way its remotely appropriate for kids.

Parent Written byJacob N. September 30, 2015

Journey into arm pit of society

This show takes the viewer places that are the darkest parts of the internet. If you've seen Fight Club, it feels a lot like it. There is a really graphic male gay sex scene, naked butts, and a lot A LOT of drugs. There are no redeeming people in the show- it makes you feel really hopeless watching it.

Adult Written bymimie February 4, 2020

I think this show has some bad things in it but so does a lot of shows. I enjoyed the show and would recommend to all my friends

Parent of a 9, 11, 15, and 18+-year-old Written byHadi S December 3, 2016

Thought - provoking and philosophical

Mr Robot is undoubtedly one of the greater television series of the fantastic produced in the last decade. It mixes mental illness, politics, drama, and computer science to concoct an entertaining forty minutes per week. However, like most dark dramas, this one has its shady moments. The glorifications of drug use in the series makes me feel obligated to accent this troubling factor foremostly. The main protagonist is a morphine addict and is throughout the series seen snorting and gasping. He is also an avid smoker, joining in with most of the other characters. There are explicit scenes of drug use and effects of LSD in some episodes, the most disturbing taking place in a drug house where several seedy - looking folks seem to be under the influence and injecting needles into their arms. According to other sources, though, the most troubling factor in this series is the sexual content. There IS nudity in Mr Robot, however never depicting anything worse than bare buttocks. There is strong and graphic sexual talk, and scenes where couples are clearly having sexual intercourse, the most explicit being arguably one where a man performs anal sex on another while they both groan and gasp. In a later episode, a couple participate in some quite graphic BDSM. These scenes make it absolutely not for anyone that is of preteen age or younger. The graphic violence is limited to rare episodes, but it gets significantly more evident in the second season. The show does not stop there, however. There is a liberal sprinkling of swear words throughout, including the expletives "f--k", motherf--ker", "s--t", "dick", "asshole", "bitch", "nigger" and "nigga". But don't stop these factors from watching the show, though. The show is remarkably intelligent and includes great philosophical pondering and computer science. However, it obviously should be shown exclusively to mature audiences.

Adult Written byjdocomeon March 18, 2020

Incredible, original, psychedelic hacker drama is not for kids

Incredible original writing and top tier acting combine to make one of the greatest tv shows of the modern era. However the content is not for everyone.

Adult Written byDijovini415 December 8, 2019

Excellent show on a culture that is not well known

This is for mature teens and adults. The hatred from people’s reviews is unwarranted. My god where have you been for the past few decades? The Xenophobia is disturbing and sad and these parents are saying that they don’t want their kids to be like the characters, but rather racist, homophobic hate mongers? Why not try to view with your older children and if they have any problems with the content you can turn it off. My god it’s not that bad with regard to all the sex and drugs they’ve claimed that it shows. Wtfu people it’s almost 2020. There are straight people, lgbt, black, yellow and green people in this world. How do you expect to be able to make sure that you have educated and prepared ur child for the real world...where they will probably at one point have a gay, green manager?! Are they going to do the same thing as you’ve shown them to do? Likely yes. So wise up. Hate is overrated. Vote
Adult Written byMANZI A. June 1, 2018

Great and cool with some mature content

So far I've only watched season 1 and a few episodes of season 2. season 1 is definitely 14+ due to not-so-many drug use, sex scenes and some with violence. However, season 2 seems different. Those scenes said above increased and some of 'em aren't suitable for neither 14 nor 15, and I hardly agree on 16. Some of the episodes can be 16+ but most of them are good for 17+. The language is also not a problem for 16.
Adult Written byrainbowyoship January 26, 2018
It's got a bit of violence and everything, but I think it'll be fine, considering what kids see on the internet.

Adult Written byCan K. November 1, 2017

Boring Dark Series is for 14 and up

This show has sexual content and drug use
Adult Written byabram r. July 28, 2017

Too violent and obscene

i will NOT let my kids watch this until they are 17 years old. Good show but not for kids.

Parent of a 16, 18+, and 18+-year-old Written byjanmac July 15, 2017

Really, Common Sense Media?

If this is a 4 for sex & drugs, what's a 5?

Adult Written by_____________ October 13, 2016
Adult Written bycharsima September 17, 2015

Fantastic!

This is an amazing show. I think there's a reason why it has 9 / 10 stars at imdb. I think 13 year olds can watch this, especially with their parents. Yes there are drugs involved, but they just show you why you shouldn't take them. There are a few scenes that are a bit graphical, but it really depends how mature your child is
Adult Written byantoinen August 29, 2015

Great

It's one of the best tv shows , it will be dumb to miss it