Parent reviews for MythBusters

Witty team puts urban legends to the scientific test.

Parent Written byT.O. Parent December 20, 2010

Great to introduce (but not teach) science concepts

A fun show that is a great springboard to talking about science. While the Mythbusters themselves are more pseudo-scientists, it is a great way to introduce science concepts in a fun (and explosive!) way.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMHMcQ January 30, 2013

Perfect Show for the Whole Family

MythBusters is a favorite in our house. It brings fun, excitement and humor to learning. It encourages kids (and adults) to understand how things work and to question assumptions. It's entertaining for all of us because they don't dumb it down. It's the perfect show for the whole family!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byLiamsMominSF October 5, 2012

Sexual innuendo

From the couple of episodes I've seen, I think there's quite a bit of sexual innuendo thrown around, akin to guy's guy teen humor. I think it would be more appropriate for 8 year-olds without it.

Adult Written by710studio August 11, 2013

Mythbusters Is Scientific Fun With an Emphasis On Safety

"Mythbusters" promotes a healthy sense of curiosity and uses the scientific method to either prove (confirm), disprove (bust), or show that the myth or idiom they put to their tests is plausible. The Mythbusters, consisting of Jamie Hyneman, Adam Savage, Kari Byron, Tory Belleci, and Grant Imahara, practice their experiments using good safety sense. Overall, the formula of scientific curiosity and safety, used by the Mythbusters, takes the potentially overwhelming subject of science and makes it interesting, even entertaining. While "Mythbusters" episodes contain their fair share of guns, explosions, thermite, and other means of fire power, it is rare that humans sustain injuries. Injuries that are sustained are minor, such as cuts and mild burns. The unofficial 6th Mythbuster - a crash test dummy named Buster - is often the brunt of most of the violence. Sometimes, other human analogs are used, such as ballistics gel. Watching Buster sustain explosions, drops from high places, and fire, or watching human-shaped ballistics gel reduced to a gelatinous goo as a result of an explosion might prove intense for extremely young or sensitive viewers, but most of these instances are counteracted by laughter and celebrations by the Mythbuster crew (because most of the time, these explosions are the exact result they were trying for). Language is often mild, with the more severe language bleeped out. One episode revolved around whether swearing helped increase pain thresholds (it seemed to, according to the test results!). Drinking is also the focus of some myths, including mythical ways to beat breathalyzer tests, or if texting and driving is as dangerous as driving while buzzed. The drinking episodes usually tend to be the most humorous ones, as the already funny cast become even more so while inebriated. All things considered, I can recommend "Mythbusters" as a tool to make science more appealing to children and teens. The show does a great job demonstrating that science is a lot more fun than a lecture in a classroom.

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byDad1000 May 27, 2016

Fun innocent show

Nothing wrong with this one.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 9 year old Written byAuntieMom December 28, 2010
Definitely a family favorite, my children absolutely love watching the show.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byklabick April 18, 2010

Lots of fun and very educational

My 5, 7 and 9 year olds love this show and watch almost every day. It has really inspired them to build inventions of their own and to be open to learning about science. My 9 year old is begging me to say the show is "AMAZING!"

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCalypso98 August 27, 2009

Mythbusters - Great for 8+ y.o. boys who love a good explosion!

We love MythBusters! They take popular urban ledgends and myths and set out to prove whether or not they can be done. The two hosts of the show are both hilarious, but our family just loves Adam. We really like the way the show goes about proving/disproving the myths. The show is just a bit over the top sometimes, but that makes it great for watching with a 9 year old boy who loves to see big explosions!

Adult Written byJRCrews20 June 21, 2012

Good science based show

Real educational show. The creators did good, when they made a science based show that's also fun to watch.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byheather.parker January 2, 2011
I think this show is generally OK, but the episode my kids watched last night was about the effects of alcohol, which is all right for my 12 year-old, but not my 9 year-olds.

Parent of a 2, 6, 9, 10, 10, and 15 year old Written byanduitbubble December 29, 2009
Mythbusters has a variety of funny stuff, some might be a little inappropriate, a try not a home, kind of thing because they do shouting gunpowder out of a bamboo cannon. I reccommend it for kids that are like about 10+, would be a perfect age cause some moms and dads will think that it is not good messages but all parents out there, if your kids know not to do all the stuff they do like making rats pee on soda cans, stick hands in water, make a candle out of earwax, shoot stuff out of cannons, etc. All those kids, watch it because it is not that inappropriate! By Elli Gret
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

Mythbusters

Very entertaining show! There are so many myths i've had questions about, and this show has answer at least 85% of them already.

Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byFademere November 18, 2009

Parent of a 11 year old Written bygoblue November 12, 2009
Our family loves it great combo of scientific method and fun wonderful folks who are willing to work hard as a team to solve a question

Parent of a 2, 11, and 14 year old Written byBaldwin October 8, 2009
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byKelly_P September 11, 2009

Mythbusters is cool for our family

We like Mythbusters because the entire family can watch it together. We really get a kick out of some of the experiments like the one with the giant boulder of legos. The team was busting a viral video from youtube that claimed that a million legos in the form of a boulder could roll down the streets of San Francisco and crash into a car without doing damage. The youtube video turned out to be fake, of course.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byBonna July 15, 2013

Family Hit

Our children have been watching this show for years and they never grow tired of watching it. It's educational and entertaining.

Adult Written bytsmith35 March 1, 2013
Adult Written byMafatu32 January 4, 2011

Fun time show.

A lot to learn with big booms. Ha.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byDC70 September 19, 2010

Good for everyone who knows what "Do not try this at home" means.

Good depemding on the episode