Parent reviews for Nature Cat

House cat's adventures inspire kids to get out and play.

Adult Written byJessiL December 9, 2015

So bad...

Who thought this was a good idea? PBS already has Wild Kratts, Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train to get them outside and teach them about nature, so why would they need another show? It reminds me of those bad old Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon shows that were definitely NOT for kids. I don't see anything that it is actually teaching you.
Adult Written byMamiMom March 22, 2016

Characters with annoying, screaming, whining voices

Disappointing PBS series. The characters' voices are downright annoying and they basically scream at each other for the entire episode, each trying to be louder than the other. The animation is fast-paced and characters frequently look angry or scary. Some violence.
Sample quotes:
"Man oh man"
"That rocks"
"Awww yeah that's right"
"Tally hoooooooo"
Parent of a 2 and 6-year-old Written byChavismicheala January 19, 2016

Not for my kids

My kids don't enjoy this show much pbs has great shows but nature cat isn't one of them
Adult Written byJ J. January 15, 2018

Cringy though not the worst show there

The scene with the characters singing about Mr Chewoski was so cringy it's not even funny.
It does teach about nature, which is good, but the phrases the characters use are cringy as heck.
Parent Written byinIndiana August 8, 2016

Wow...How Annoying

Took five minutes of one show to decide we would never watch again. The character voices are incredibly annoying...loud, whiny, exaggerated. Awful. Wild Kratts is 10000x better...not even in the same league.
Adult Written bySeamstressMomma May 17, 2016

Still trying to figure it out

Maybe it's just me, but the characters are annoying (and loud) and the usual lesson included in these shows is hard to find. It seems like the message is to explore nature, but my toddler doesn't need a show to tell her that. She has no interest in the show and I find it hard to get through.
Adult Written bygina978 January 18, 2016

Does more harm than good

This show is aweful. So disappointed in PBS. it looks and sounds a lot like more "mature" cartoons like Sponge Bob or even Ren and Ttimpy without the gore. The characters speak (yell) in loud, exaggerated voices that, in even a short time, impact my kids. I feel stressed and exhausted after watching it, and my children are more aggressive and speak unkindly.
Physical "humor" such as bonks and crashes, in my opinion, is a form of violence.
Kids absorb these scenes like a sponge and accept violence (or pain, falling, crashing, yelling) as something quite normal and common. Children who view shows in which violence is very realistic, frequently repeated are more likely to imitate what they see. Experts from the American Academy of Paediatrics (AAP) say that kids who watch cartoons full of violence tend to be nervous, aggressive and disobedient. Moreover, these children are impatient. There are three main effects of cartoons that concern violence on children: they become insensitive to others’ pains and sorrow;
children do not feel empathy from any elements of pain around them in real life;
children are prone to aggressive reactions and violent behavior.
Not only is the show just too intense, it has no educational value. There is too much going on and too quickly to retain any 'lesson' about getting outside and exploring.
I have noticed a negative impact on my preschool- aged children after watching only 2 shows here on our local Iowa Pubic Television channel, and I will be sure to avoid it in the future.
Adult Written byhadasf January 17, 2016

IT'S LIKE WATCHING A SHOW ALL IN CAPS LOCK!!!

I love many of the new generation of PBS Kids shows -- Odd Squad, Peg + Cat, Wild Kratts -- but this show reminds me far too much of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network's, both in style and [lack of] content.

The character voices are waaay overdone and it sounds like EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SHOUTING! Stop yelling at me -- I'm paying attention! My kids were glued to the screen, but I was aurally exhausted after a while. Not every show should be as mellow as Mr. Rogers [or Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, for today's kids], but this was just over the top.

The animation is also very Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network and dare I say it, ugly? Again, between the frenetic action and over-the-top voices, it felt like the show was afraid that if they let up the energy for a second, we'd change the channel. Chill, PBS Kids. My kids still have an attention span longer than 2 seconds -- don't be the ones to change that.

After watching that first episode, I was looking the show up online and saw that many of the voice actors are SNL cast members. I wasn't surprised after what I'd experienced, but somehow, I was kind of disappointed? The whole show just feels gimmicky and desperate to me.

Lastly, the educational component of this is pretty lacking. This is simply "go outside and you might find cool stuff!". The Nature Cat episodes I saw encouraged kids to plant flowers to see butterflies and to use things found in nature (sticks, shells, rocks) to make music. Those are things that really should be EXPERIENCED, and are simple enough that kids hopefully would experience something like that at school, in a park or their own backyard. It just doesn't seem necessary as a tv show concept. Unlike Dinosaur Train or Wild Kratts or Plum Landing, which, even when showing the science of your own backyard, give a lot more actual scientific information and vocabulary and context.

I wanted to like it, but now I'm afraid of the future for PBS Kids.
Adult Written byKap3 December 14, 2015

Looks and sounds like sponge bob

It's as hokey as I worried it would be. Cheesy action sounds, silly music, lots of shouting. Overwhelming for young kids and just annoying. Illustrations look like sponge bob. Disappointed PBS picked this versus quality programming like Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street.
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byJammi October 24, 2018

Awful

This show is absolutely awful! It teaches your children to scream and whine. Hal, the dog, is such an idiot. Seriously, every single time something happens, he says something idiotic. The rabbit, daisy, omg she is just as bad. I cannot stand this show. All they do is whine and complain, and act like morons. I hate this show so much! Also, I’m trying to teach my child that cats are to stay inside, not go out “exploring”. Pathetic excuse for programming.
Adult Written byMatthew 1 February 5, 2016

Eh

My son likes it but it's pretty worthless. I like George or SS a lot better but I'm not watching it for me. Wish it had more education in it.

Adult Written bycheetah7 January 16, 2016

Well........

ok first the characters
Nature cat: well, he is a pretty straightforward character, that's all
The dog: ya, he is an incredibly stupid character (I understand he is supposed to be the character who asks the questions) appearing to look the oldest, he acts the stupidest of all.
The mouse: my favorite character so far, she is pretty cute, but she is also kind of a girly girl at some times
The bunny: again, it is my favorite character too. So she is pretty much the nerd of the group
Music: after one episode, there is a short break with music. So far I've seen two, the swamp and going outside. The lyrics are supposed to teach about nature too, but the goin outside one is pretty cringey
The whole show: it is very disappointing and straightforward. I reccommend wild kratts it is more unique with more adventure
Adult Written byThe Louisianaese December 2, 2019
Parent of a 6-year-old Written byMykola S. April 18, 2019

Some episodes are sad.

I did not like it because some episodes are very sad that I cry. One episode was about a tree that broke and really did not like it.

Adult Written byRegnmorgengry July 8, 2016

Ugh

Most of the PBS Kids shows invite co-viewing. They teach kids useful information in a fun, engaging way, with unique characters and fun storylines. Nature Cat on the other hand, provides vague nature related tidbits through ugly animations and voices that grate on the nerves. When a character goes bouncing around uncontrollably for the better part of 45 seconds while yelling, "WAAAaaaAAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAGH!" all the way, it's time to turn off the TV and go outside. Hmm... I guess this show did get us outside, just not in the way that was intended. Also, I don't ever remember a new show on PBS being this heavily advertised. During every break between shows lately, there are not just one, but two or three back-to-back ads for this show. I used to enjoy PBS Kids for my children because we could avoid this kind of show. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.
Adult Written byjackie444 February 6, 2016

My kids love it

My 8 year old daughter and 3 year old son watch this together. They love this show and bring up things they've learned from the show later on. It's entertaining and my youngest loves saying "tally ho" now! Neither is violent or unkind after watching this show which is also not violent.

Adult Written byStephanie C. April 5, 2018

Great for Getting Toddlers Excited to Learn About Nature

I feel like I need to defend this show from the other reviews! It's a high-energy, fast-paced show but my almost-3 year old is riveted from beginning to end and usually asks to watch another episode. It encourages kids to explore nature and be good stewards of the environment, with a focus on the natural world in general -animals, plants, changing seasons, weather and the atmosphere, ocean health, etc.- rather than just on learning about animals. Some episodes are lighter on the education and place more emphasis on experiencing nature (planting a garden to attract butterflies, for example) but other episodes are more heavily educational. Learning about caves - the animals that live in them, the difference between stalagtites and stalagmites, etc; learning about sand dunes and why they're important for a healthy seaside ecosystem, etc. is not something I expected my 2.5 yr old to be interested in but he definitely was. And any adult who watches SNL or other comedy shows will recognize the voices pretty much right away. It's a good show and worth watching, just remember the target audience is 2-6 year olds, not teens or grown ups. ;)

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byJessica M. July 14, 2017

Nature, silliness and low conflict.

My 3 year old recently started watching Nature Cat. I find it low conflict (as far as relationship between characters) and educational. It's not a slow paced show, but they teach many subtle nature themed things. My son will sit happily and watch it, lots of giggles too!

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byJamieLatz January 28, 2016

Great Show!

My son and I absolutely love this show! Our family likes to be out in nature & explore and this show only reaffirms that. It has cute adult humor (like Michael Bluejay) , and I personally love that a lot of the voices are from the cast of SNL. All around awesome show - thumbs up from us!!
Adult Written byjm88825 December 28, 2015

nature cat- daughter loves

This show is fine. Nature cat teaches confidence!