Parent reviews for Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion Poster Image

Great show for teens and adults alike

I am baffled by the people saying this show is 18+. This series is about the fear of growing up, the stress of being a teenager with responsibilities, and the loneliness experienced by all people at some point in their life. It is absolutely a must-watch for both teenagers and adults alike. Yes, it deals with heavy topics such as depression, the nature of humanity, and individuality, but it handles these topics masterfully and does a great job of showing what it's like to struggle with depression and wanting to run away from your responsibilities, something many teens deal with. This is a show that makes you think, whether you want to or not, about God, your purpose on Earth, and belonging to a community/family. In the end, the main message that Evangelion teaches to our teens is that every one of us is worthy of the love of others because we are capable of loving them. It teaches them to love themselves and that they can trust others and be open with them without worrying about being hurt. I would recommend this show to anyone capable of understanding complex themes and who is mature enough to handle violence and mild sexual content. 14 and up seems like a perfectly fine age to me, and I would maybe even say a mature 13-year-old would be OK watching it.

Brilliant series!

This series is straight heat, but there's a considerable amount of violence and gore. (All monster gore though, the human characters pretty much stay unharmed until the end). There's a number of times when sex is either referenced or insinuated to be occurring offscreen. One of the main characters is openly and alcoholic, and can often be seen ignoring trauma through sex and alcohol. There's absolutely no drugs nor swearing in the series, so there's a plus in regards to family friendliness. Overall, it's a pretty typical seinen anime, I think a lot of the questionable actions done by the characters are important to the series and its general message.

Beautiful.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a beautiful series with an incredible story, one which will leave you in silence by the end. The rebuilds are also incredible. There isn’t anything that I find too hard for people to handle. Each character is different and says impactful things. I appreciate how all of their personalities and stories are explored.

1 person found this helpful.
There are just a few nude-ish shots… most of which are all in light humor. When you get toward the end of the show, you see a bit more of those off camera sex scenes. There’s quite a bit of suggestive material… nothing a teenager wouldn’t be familiar with though. I wouldn’t consider the violence in this show to be a problem whatsoever. It’s not bad, just a bunch of mech fights, (which I absolutely love). If you want to start getting into The End of Evangelion movie… that’s a whole other story. I don’t recommend letting younger teens watch it. It includes a LOT more nudity and dark themes. For parents… if you’d like a quick example of what I’m talking about… just watch the first minute or two and you’ll understand. Overall, for older teens/adults that want to get into this show… I recommend a thousand times over. I really enjoyed all the fights and everything in between. Even the conflict had me riled up. The ending left me confused almost… until I took a step back to realize what had just happened. It might’ve been rushed, just in the slightest, but… it made so much sense when you look back to everything that had been acted out from the start.

Good anime

This anime has violence that is shallow and the depth to it is so little that it doesn’t deserve a teen rating. Partial nudity on the main characters butt is not sexual and is for laughs.

Good show

This show is amazing. I think saying it’s 15+ is too much, 11 year olds nowadays can handle stuff. The reason I think people put such a high age rating on it is because of its violence so here’s my opinion Great messages/ role models: The main character Shinji is kind of introverted, sometimes refuses to do what he’s asked to do or selfishly runs away. But he almost always realises what he’s done wrong and tries to fix it Violence and scariness: The show often shows violence and blood but nothing scary Nudity: Although the show does contain nudity it’s not sexual at all. Almost all nudity shown is for a laugh and even then private parts are covered or not present. Drinking: One of the main characters (Misato) is shown drinking beer a whole lot. Swearing: Only words as “crap, damn,hell” but occasionally “bitch,shit” You might want to wait with the final movie (End of Evangelion) until your kid is 13. The movie has way darker themes. I have yet to watch the rebuild movies so I can’t give any opinion on them.

Greatest Anime of All Time

Simple as that.

Amazing 10/10

Shows animation is a decade before its time and the storyboard is like noting I’ve seen before, all of the characters have Amazin personalities and the show has a great representation of mental ailments
1 person found this helpful.
This show is good for 18 and up.

Devastating, existential experience about human connection and self hatred. ADULTS ONLY.

If you think anyone under the age of 18 can watch this, I’m praying you haven’t finished the series as a total (which includes the movies). Neon Genesis starts as a generally run of the mill 90s mecha anime. However, around episode 20 is where it makes itself apparent that this is not an average viewing experience. I have met grown adults who have had complete mental breakdowns upon finishing this show. It should definitely not be given to teenagers who are still mentally undeveloped, and I wouldn’t even give this to any stable adult if they had depression. Neon Genesis contains on screen depictions of decapitation, disembowelment, suicide, and more. And that is the main series. The tie in movie and canonical ending, The End of Evangelion, (spoilers below) is what makes it so devastating. Spoilers. Everybody dies. Complete genocide of the human race. Except for two of the main characters. It ends with them laying on a beach, as one attempts to choke the other out. He fails and lays next to her, sobbing, and it ends with her calling him disgusting. That’s it. Everyone is dead. This show takes on the topics of suicide and self loathing, religion, human extinction, and more. Please listen to me. Do not hand this to your kids. It is devastating emotionally. It left me in a three month existential crisis before I gave into the deep depression and acknowledged that life is meaningless.