Parent reviews for One Day at a Time

One Day at a Time Poster Image

Hearfelt and funny! I highly recommend even for kids 12 and up!

7th and 8th graders should have already had "the talk" at home and in school and should be able to handle and understand the topics. A lot of my students have already dealt with parents with addiction and this show openly discusses the subject and the struggles involved which makes them understand the issue even more. So there's a few swears; so what? That's how some people talk and worse. I personally don't and neither do my kids but they heard plenty of swears growing up. For young teens, this show will make them laugh, cry and perhaps become better; more understanding of others, more empathetic. They will learn about Cuba's culture and how festive, religious, and controlling a Hispanic abuela is! And everybody should know that Rita Moreno who portrays the abuela is an iconic legend from Puerto Rico. I highly suggest reading her bio online - a fascinating life! One of her biggest accomplishments is that she became the first (and only?) Hispanic to have won an Emmy, a Golden Globe, an Oscar and a Tony. Rita Moreno IS the show and she is hilarious. I highly recommend it!

1 person found this helpful.

Why just why

Was very excited about this show. Looked forward to the more modern issues addressed and the representation. End of pilot and the mom casually mentions [email protected]* it was super jarring. If you have already had this convo with your child, this may not be an issue for you. While we have had "the talk" years ago my sweet innocent 11 year does not have this in her lexicon. Wont be taking a risk on future episodes.

single mother

im a single mother who can relate to the mom in the show with the crazy over hovering mother of my own and two boys. I love it tells it how it is. the to the point how real to real life it is, i am amazed.

For ages 12 and up

Yet it does have a few words that may not be suitable for children, most tween already say the words and have heard them everywhere. It talks a little bit about sex, but not so much that it gets too inappropriate. I think that people 12 or 13+ can watch the show.

Wrong rating!

I was surprised that this was PG and believe it needs to changed to PG13. It is an entertaining show with great acting and in depth characters, but not appropriate for kids under 13 to watch without a parent, and parents should know the many topics they will be discussing while watching with their children. 1. Separation and divorce 2. The soon to be ex-husband is a drunk and drug addict because of his PTSD from war 3. Sex 4. Sexuality - the daughter thinks she is a lesbian and the mom goes to a gay bar to have “lots of drinks “ 5. Discussion and bragging about Online dating and one night stands 6. Racism and views on immigration. Lots of worthy topics to discuss and it’s great to see diversity in shows, but parents should be prepared.

AMAZING

it us amazing, tackilng racism, homophobia, sexism, and many other hard topics, I am sad that season 4 was taken off of netflix but seasons 1,2 and 3 are on there. EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH IT honestly its amazing. Isabella gomez is now my daughter's role model, she plays elena. Syd and their pronouns also brought another great aspect to the show. as I said before everyone should watch it

CRUDE

If a historian in the future looks back to compare this new version of one day at a time with the original version one thing she will find this new version is much cruder. For example a girl talks about having her first period in the first period of school and a guy pointed to his 'junk'.

Funny, meaningful look at today's issues!

Classic Norman Lear!!! (Who brought us All in the Family, etc.) So funny, and then turns on a dime to get to the heart of dating, mother-daughter relationships, personal, cultural and family identity. I am not Cuban or Hispanic even, but I swear someone overheard conversations between my mother, myself and my daughter! So relatable!!! The cast is wonderful!!! Rita Moreno (the Anita in the original film of "West Side Story") is perfection and the woman who plays Penelope explores the full range of what is to be a mom, a daughter, a veteran and so much more. A real treat!! My daughter loves it (and she can sense a "message" from a mile a way.) In addition to pure entertainment it has introduced topics in a meaningful way that might be otherwise hard to bring up. We are now finishing the third season. Netflix was crazy to let this one go!!

Good show

There is some sexual content it's not to bad you can always skip it if it really bothers you that much or of you dont think your kids are mature enough. It's a very positive show that talks about very important issues in today's day in age. I loved the show and rewatch episodes all the time.