Parent reviews for Outlander

Haunting romantic drama has graphic sex and violence.

Adult Written bythinkcarefully April 20, 2016

Sexual dysfunction and physical torture

I am not familiar with the Outlander books, but saw so many promotional pieces and interviews, and read so many positive reviews that I was very interested to see it. I watched the first 2 episodes then many weeks later 2 more, and binge watched 6 on and off in one day. The filming and location were beautiful, almost dreamlike. The music mesmerizing and the costumes extremely detailed and intricate. Definitely, a carefully thought out production to the minutest detail. The actors peformed exceptionally in the dramatic scenes, conveying the strongest emotions and excitement. But even with all these attributes, I cannot justify watching it, and will not go any further in the series. Art is intertwined in life, but there are boundaries when it no longer resembles art, but becomes dark and gratuitous. When writers and directors graphically depict the most heinous crimes and sexual details, proclaiming it necessary for the story, they are really feeding their desires to be outrageous and contretemps. They have tremendous talent, but reduce it to rubbish, using profanity, vulgarity, and torture in their scripts, painstakingly convincing themselves that it is art. I am sorry for them, for the actors, and for the fans who have bought into this deception. The professed success of a book or tv series, measured by the writers, producers, directors, actors, and fans involved is a biased opinion. The Outlander tv series had all the elements to be amazing, but added in so much disturbing, irreverent, graphic material, it destroyed itself. There is more than enough violence and sexual dysfunction in the world, now and throughout history. Presenting it as artistic form does not change the reality of what it is. It always must be rejected in reality and fiction, and overcome with virtue and industry, in real life and art.

Adult Written bySadman February 11, 2016

Prime example of oversexualization of TV

I really wanted to be enthusiastic about this show. The time-displaced romance, the characters, the history. But it's spoiled with today's preoccupation over needing to show the most explicit sex possible in order to tell a story. If you'll pardon the expression, it was a real turn off for me. My 4-star rating is for the quality of the production, but in the future when sex scenes become standard even in family shows, it'll be in part on to shows like Outlander that we'll have to lay the blame. Ditto the violence. Sometimes I think the extra violence is put in there so they can guilt-trip viewers into accepting the sex because otherwise they get frowned upon for being OK with the violence. How about showing some restraint with both for once?

Adult Written byThurzday Next August 3, 2014

Definitely adult-only material.

The Outlander series produced by the Starz network is based on a book series by Diana Gabaldon, who has written 8 of them, so far (as of August, 2014). They are not romance novels, but are, rather, dramatic sagas that occur in relation to the main characters, Claire Beauchamp (Beecham) and Jamie Fraser. The books span continents and timelines, and give rather fascinating accounts of the wards occurring in each time span. Claire travels through the stones at Craigh na Dun, Scotland, to a time when Bonny Prince Charles is staking his claim, and the Scottish Highlands are teeming with English dragoons (soldiers). In these books, you get historical fiction, a variety of Scottish phrases, and both heartwarming and heartbreaking stories. All are peppered with themes involving family, loyalty, and honor. This series is not to be missed by the reader who wants to be absorbed in a good story.
Adult Written byLadyRedLoneStar June 4, 2015

Good series - NOT appropriate for teens

This is a good series, but I disagree with other reviews from teens saying it is acceptable for their age. The sex scenes are very graphic and there is full frontal nudity (male and female), oral sex, rape, etc. Not a great thing for immature teens to be watching. As for adults, the characters are complex, the history riveting, the romance is strong, and the action scenes heart-pounding, so it's a thumbs up for anyone over 18 to me.
Parent Written byjoanrenault June 20, 2015

A must-watch for most adults; a must-not-watch for kids

This series is so good! Like the books, there is action, romance, suspense, heartbreak and comedy. There is also a lot of exploration of human nature in the context of turbulent historical times, and it is done with excellently developed characters. But, there is enough violence and sex (and violent sex) that I couldn't recommend it for everyone and especially not for kids - even mature teens.
Parent Written bybjdouglas June 20, 2015

Adults only

Most of the episodes have violence and sex. There are a couple episodes (last episode of season 1) that are definitely adult only. That being said, I read the book series and love the story. I think they are doing a fabulous job in staying true to the books. I am looking forward to season 2!
Adult Written byJaylie W. May 6, 2018

Adult Written byCan K. October 31, 2017

Terrible show is okay for 12+

There is violence and sexual content in the show but it's really ok for a 12 year old but you should still stay out because it's really bad