All parent member reviews for PAW Patrol

Educator and Parent Written byunderscorex June 1, 2014

Carefully engineered to appeal to little-boy interests.

Very toy-centric cartoon about a little boy and his team of dogs that drive city service vehicles (fire truck, police car, etc). Everyone over the age of 10 is totally incompetent, nobody is capable of speaking in a tone of voice other than "excited hollering", the girl dog flies a pink helicopter because of course she does (girls should remain above the action and only engage from a distance, you know). It's produced by a toy company to sell toys, and is generally lowest-common-denominator kid vid. It doesn't have anything explicitly troubling - no violence, sexual content, or even anything resembling real danger, but it's also loud, obnoxious, and not very good. Also, expect the usual subtle messages about girls (not as active as boys) grown ups (not as smart as kids), etc.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written bySalviati September 14, 2013

Mindless Mass Consumer Garbage for Preschoolers

As far as I can tell this show has practically no educational value. It appears to be a construction out of the mind of a market researcher. You can imagine a market survey asking parents what their child's favorite things are. The results of the survey are as follows: 1) puppies 2) toys 3) rescue services ( fire, police, etc..). 'Perfect lets go make some money....'
Parent Written byPuppehmama August 25, 2013

Great role models!

The cute dogs and love able characters drew my son in immediately. He watches it repeatedly or demands we sing the song for him which can get old for parents but when he started telling me "good job!" Or says to the dog, "whoops excuse me!" we decided it was definitely worthwhile.
Parent Written byLetKidsBeKidsPlease August 27, 2015

It's a Fun Show!

I have a really bright, ahead of the curve soon-to-be 6-year-old daughter who adores this show. I am one of those parents who didn't allow my kid to watch T.V. until after her 4th birthday, so I can't attest to the ideal age range, but my daughter loves it. I, for one, am glad that there are shows like this that appeal to girls that aren't princess-oriented. She loves any and everything to do with animals, and I love the fact that this show gives props to critical public service personnel, while teaching kids about teamwork and helping others. That focus on social service is VERY educational IMHO, and any show that shines a light on careers (other than slapping on a princess gown and waiting for Prince Charming) are AOK in my book.
Parent Written byVRCrowe March 29, 2015

Mindless toy fodder.

It's so well animated, I wish it was any good. Lessons are iffy at best, and episodes appear to be 90% transforming montages and weird catch phrases.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byvtgeek May 8, 2015

Cute and problematic

My 3 year-old adores this show. It hits all his favorite buttons for dogs, awesome vehicles, catchy theme song, and saving the day. It is not educational, but Ryder and his pups are great helpers in their community, and we like to use the catch phrase "no job is too big, no pup is too small!" to encourage my 3 year-old to do "hard" or distasteful jobs. However, my goodness, how on earth did a show get out of development that suffers from the Smurfette Principle on a major children's network in 2013?? For a while, there was only one female pup: Skye. Now, she is pretty awesome. She can fly! She's my 3 year-old boy's favorite character. But in terms of gender equity, this show is stuck firmly in 1952. If you're a boy, you can be anything you want, but if you're a girl, you have to be the "pink one". We know a lot of preschool girls who love this show too, and there is no reason on earth that any of the other pups couldn't have been a girl. They added another girl pup in a later season, but she is a snow dog in what seems to be a southern California setting. I'm sure she's really super useful and all, but come on. Couldn't she at least have been a paramedic pup, which the crew is obviously missing? No doubt they will add another boy pup to do that job... Ugh.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byhmaymyers May 9, 2015

Theme of other pups teasing another

I thought this was a relatively harmless show for my 4-1/2 yr old...although I agree with the other reviewers that this show has very little educational quality...it's just not clever at all, compared to something like the Octonauts... However, as I watch several episodes with my son, I realize there is a theme of all of the puppies teasing and playing tricks on Marshall (one of the pups). It seems like he may be the target in each episode? Not sure haven't seen them all...? If so, that's worrisome. I know it seems like harmless fun, but it could send a message that its ok to bully.
Parent Written byAandJ February 10, 2016

Good for kids, one drawback.

Generally this is a great show for the little ones. The puppies do fun things, help people, go on adventures, use teamwork, overcome fear, all sorts of good stuff. Some episodes are even fun to watch, which I don't usually say about kids shows. That said, as my child gets older (he's 4 and a half now) I like this show less because of one major drawback. While the real heroes are the dogs, their leader is Ryder, a young kid. Not sure how old but clearly not a teenager. There are plenty of adult characters in the show but they are ALWAYS portrayed as bumbling idiots. The mayor of this town would probably be in jail if she were real, the scientist couldn't even figure out that the "ghost" on his ship was actually one of his favorite sea creatures, I could go on and on. My four year old pointed out to me one time that Ryder lives by himself and all those grown ups don't realize that he is a kid. The show is really cute, but people should at least be aware that this age/responsibility dynamic is ongoing through every episode of every season. The adults are always the ones in trouble, and the kid is always the one directing the help.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byhomelessdog July 7, 2015

Entertaining show for young kids, with a few scary moments

The show instills some positive values in children, but is mostly just entertainment and almost no learning. Ryder and his gang are good role models and always lend a hand to help when they can. The show shows the power of teamwork and problem solving. But I really only wanted to post a review because I think I would add at least one star to the "scariness" factor because there are multiple episodes about ghosts or aliens with spooky music and suspenseful scenes. The ghosts always turn out to be just dogs wearing sheets and are shown not to be scary, but in the moment they can scare a young child.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAlex Kirsh November 21, 2013

Paw Patrol!

The actors who play the dogs do an amazing job to bring their characters to life! The show is funny and cute and I think the show is for kids 3 and up! The boy Owen who plays Ryder does an amazing job showing how a youn man can be such a role model in a community. Owen and the other actors are all very talented!
Parent Written byGowMomma October 23, 2013

My kids love this show

My kids love this show and I do too. So cute, and positive and they love the puppies!! Would LOVE to find toys for them (Characters from the show), does anyone know if they have them anywhere?
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykthompson@chapi... May 23, 2016

Paw Patrol

My son is a huge fan of Paw Patrol and it is perfect for his age and ability. I love that it has adventure story lines, and is always about the positive. Characters are diverse and there is are a lot of social messages he can relate to. Great production by Nick JR.
Parent Written bywatchdog_mama October 9, 2015

Nice, light entertainment for young kids

My kids both love this show -- hooray! My three-year-old daughter and five-year-old son watch this show together and have fun coming up with their own pup adventures. There are no lessons here about phonics, math, culture, etc., but my kids do pick up positive messages about bravery, teamwork, and community roles. I know they think of the pups in certain situations when they need to work hard, try new things, or find courage. I often hear them humming the theme song under their breaths when they're riding their bikes. :o) I love that this show includes a character (Skye!) who is both "girly" and highly adventurous. My young daughter would love to watch princesses all day long, but Skye is a character she can love who inspires my daughter to get out and do things! I just wish there were more female characters on this show. They added Everest recently, but still, two out of seven is not a great percentage. My son is in kindergarten and considers himself too cool for things he loved in preschool, but Paw Patrol is an exception. It's a hot franchise in his kindergarten classroom! I love this. While Paw Patrol isn't the most educational show on the air, it's gentle, nonviolent, sweet, and yet still very appealing even to "big kids" like my son. Now that I think of it, I love this show in part because it distracts my daughter from princesses and my son from Star Wars/superheroes! This is a show that lets little kids be little, entertaining them and providing great inspiration for imaginative, cooperative play. We have two of the little Paw Patrol toys, but I haven't taken my kids to see all the available stuff at the toy store -- be wary, there's a lot of merchandise out there.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymamaduck2012 June 22, 2015

very cute

So many people forget about their community, and this show demonstrates great community value. This is educational in the sense that it teaches values that we are not always able to demonstrate daily. Team work is another big part of this show. I personally recommended this for toddlers and pre-school aged children.
Parent Written byAbcdefg16 January 2, 2016

My son loves it

My 2 yr old loves this show, although i cant stand marshall. Marshall is the Dalmatian so clumsy falling all the time not watching where he's going he is So irritating.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byRyan H. September 17, 2016

Toy-delivery platform disguised as entertainment...

This "show" is basically a half hour infomercial for the Paw Patrol toy line. Check out all the pups! And their transforming doghouse vehicles! And the flying versions of their vehicles! And the big vehicle they all ride around in together! And their super-special pup base! Already own everything? Don't worry, every season they'll add a new pup to the mix! With its own doghouse vehicle! And... Etc. etc. etc. All this might be tolerable if the shows included some form of educational value... Or at least an attempt at such a thing. Heck, even "Blaze and the Monster Machines" taught my 4 y.o. the meaning of the word, "trajectory"... But no, they don't even bother to try... At least we were able to turn this into a "teaching moment": 4YO: Daddy, why don't you like Paw Patrol? ME: Because it's trying to trick me into buying things. 4YO: Trying to trick you? That's not great. ME: No, it's not. 4YO: Can I watch "Bubble Guppies"? ME: Yes. Yes you can. (Minor victory)
Adult Written byMom O. September 8, 2016

Cute but needs parental guidance

Paw patrol is a cute little show with a little kid that seems smarter than all of the adults in his life. I haven't seen his parents. He apparently lives alone with his pups. All of the adults in this show are really dumb and if they were real people would all be in a Home together somewhere because they wouldn't be able to function on their own in society. Sarcasm is used a lot in this show. Having said all of this, the characters are cute. The jokes are funny, and my 5 year old daughter loves it. I just make sure to remind her that adults normally aren't that silly, and Ryder doesn't need to be such a smart alec. Oh yeah and Ryder usually plays video games if he isn't busy rescuing his friends from ridiculous situations.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byAntwonesha Curry C. August 29, 2016

Sexist

Where are more episodes with the girl pups. All boys..then on one they giv all the boys the only thing sky can do..fly..they never play everst and now another boy dog. My kid lov it but its all about guys..she will no longer be watching..and they make it hell to legitly complain..hell jus take it off already..
Adult Written byFizzle7033 July 4, 2016

I want to like this show...

I really, really do. It is cute, the dogs are cute. But for some reason my child turns into the spawn of Satan every time he watches it. He won't sleep, he yells at me, he is mean. I don't know if it is overestimating, if it is because the child is in control, I have no idea, but it happens.
Parent Written bykarlad1 October 30, 2015

My son likes it

I dont think its educational. but does it really matter as long as your child enjoys it, my son is 5 in january and loves watching paw patrol.