All parent member reviews for Poppy Cat

Educator and Parent Written byJAMC October 25, 2013

Poppy Cat is a sweet, charming, friendly little show

Poppy Cat is a sweet little show with 12-minute episodes featuring a few animal friends who go on imaginative adventures. There's a general theme of helping friends and strangers alike, being polite, being adventurous and conquering fears/trying new things. The characters are generally sweet (the antagonist, Egbert, is irritating but harmless) with just occasional somewhat-under-the-radar sarcasm and eye-rolling from Owl and no name-calling. The animation is refreshingly sweet and almost has an "a child drew this" aesthetic, with clunky, whimsical and colorful backdrops. As a mom of two girls, I'm also interested in how children's shows depict gender roles, how often the female characters are princesses, etc. What I like about Poppy Cat is that it's largely gender neutral-- while one of the two female characters (Alma) is fairly "girly," the other (Poppy) is fairly gender-neutral. I mean that in a "everyone goes deep-sea diving and Alma has a pink helmet but Poppy has a yellow one like all of the male characters" kind of way. For what it's worth, that sort of thing is presented in Poppy Cat in a subtle way, where other shows tend to make "girly" concessions for their female characters. Of course, I could be over-analyzing :) Overall, Poppy Cat is a charming little show and my girls have been mesmerized by it long enough for me to get lunch put together since they were 11 months old. It's a staple for us! EDITED TO ADD: I noted that CSM has given Poppy Cat a one-star "Consumerism" rating. There is a book series from which this show originated; however, I'd like to add that the series is of UK origin and in the US it's hard to find much by way of Poppy Cat merchandise. I considered a Poppy Cat themed second birthday party for my twins and couldn't find anything at all, and even a stuffed Poppy Cat would have to be shipped (for quite a bit of money) from the UK. I wish there was a bit more offered on this side of the pond, but the show has only been on-air even in the UK for a bit over a year now.