All parent member reviews for Pretty Little Liars

Parent of a 12 year old Written byBs Mom July 27, 2010

The kids may be watching it but that does not make it Good.

There is not a lot redeeming about this show. The subject matter is too adult. I had to check it out because all of my 12 year old daughter's friends are watching it and she wanted to too. I was not impressed. The language, the sexual innuendo, the drug use, teachers kissing students, suicide, boyfriend stealing and these are supposed to be 15/16 year olds acting this way. God help us if this is the way our kids are really acting. This is nothing more than a soap opera aimed at kids. I cannot believe the young kids reviewing it on here saying it's great; I hope there is someone around to discuss the very adult subject matter that they have been subjected to. Even the show's creators say it's for 14 & up, but frankly I think it's pretty rough for a 14 year old much less a 10 or 11 year old. Makes me wonder if parents are just assuming it's fine because it's on ABC Family. It is not and my opinion of ABC Family has been reduced because of this Ultra-Trashy show.
Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11 year old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010

Not appropriate for teens even.

I would not let my child watch this show until she was at least 16. My biggest issue is one of the girls is 16 and having an affair with her teacher who is in his early 20's. They make it seem totally okay and very exciting. This is in no way appropriate for a 14 year-old! Another character keeps sleeping with her older sisters boyfriends who are also in their 20's and she is like 16. Do people not understand that is illegal? So why would it be ok for a young teen to watch? There is also murder, drugs, alcohol and lying. It has no messages in it I would want my kids to learn.
Parent of a 4, 11, and 13 year old Written byjburnett711 March 31, 2011

Depends on the child and the parent!

I watch the show with 11 and 13 year old girls. They are both very mature, and this show is as scandelous as their media exposure gets. There is kissing in every episode, and once or twice a season sexual relationships are implied, but there are no make-out scenes longer then 5 or so seconds. I talk to them about boys and relationships, and try to provide healthy relationship and moral examples for them to follow. We spend more time together doing activities and talking then watching TV, but 40 minutes a week on Pretty Little Liars simply gives us something to talk about, and the topics are things that need to be addressed whether seeing them on TV or not. The characters are constantly faced with blackmail and bullying, and remain loyal to each other throughout the show. If there is a sexually themed episode, it is usually results in serious consequences involved. The student-teacher relationship is a non-sexual relationship between a 17 year old and a freshly graduated teacher who is very young, and they started dating before either of them knew he would be her teacher. Although I feel the age difference is inappropriate, the details of their relationship are moreso innocent then scandelous- meaning if he WEREN'T her teacher, it would be completely harmless. The most exciting part of the show is byfar the mystery! About the gay/lesbian relationship, I don't agree with it, but it is reality. Not to mention, this is a very small part of this show, and the parent can simply talk to their kids about it if it makes them uncomfortable. The only thing I do not like about the show, is that the main characters are very prone to lie to their parents which sets a bad example. However, this presents and opportunity for my to talk to them about this practice by using this negative example as "what NOT to do". Other then that there are several good ethical examples on the show- for instance, self-esteem and exceptance, high amounts of athletic activities, such as sports, and time outdoors, loyalty to each other, etc. I think the show honestly makes the kids appreciate the simplicity of their life more then they want to have the kinds of lives on this show.
Parent Written byFabMamaOf3 August 23, 2011

Pretty Little Liars: A-okay!

As a parent, who also has a degree in psychology, I just thought I would put my opinion on here. I am a younger mother (27) and I have 3 children, 2 of which are daughters. At this point my children are too young to watch or even grasp the show; however, if my children were older, 14+ I would not have an issue with them watching this. Yes, I would not want them cussing, no parent does, however this show is ultimately harmless when it comes to the sexual innuendos, kissing scenes are extremely short, the 'sex scenes' really dont show anything. I actually enjoy this show, myself. There are so many parents on here saying, 'God I hope our children don't behave like this', but the reality of it is, most teenagers do behave like this. Most of us did when we were in high school (okay, didn't have a relationship with a teacher, but still), most of us did have sex, drink, say curse words, and bicker with our friends and frenemies. Overall I think it is an okay show for kids to watch. If you have issues with it, then you need to be talking to your child. Do not just sit around and expect tv to teach them what to do. I remember learning about sex, in explicit ways, from my friends, because I, like many of the women that I know, had parents who were not open and honest about sex, and made it uncomfortable for you to talk to them. Bottom line, YOU are the parent, not the TV. YOU set the rules, and it is YOUR responsibility to teach your child right from wrong. If you have a good relationship with your child a tv show isn't going to change that. There is no point in blaming ABC Family, for what you are not talking to your children about. Because trust me, if they dont learn it from you they WILL learn about it from someone. Better step up and talk to your child now, and quit blaming the media!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byclaire123 January 15, 2011

11 year olds can handle it!

i think this is a good show and kids over 11 can handle everything in it, my daughter is in 5th grade and can handle the storyline. she has read all of the books and asked to watch the show. 11 year olds are capable of this show!
Parent Written byMatka March 28, 2013

Throw your morals in the trash.

This is what you NEVER want your daughters to be like so why would you want them watching this. The role models in this are very negative. Children under 18 are not mature enough to understand that this is brainwashing kids into thinking this stuff is acceptable but it's demoralizing.
Adult Written bySpartyon May 26, 2011

I really like Pretty Little Liars ages 11 & up

Pretty Little Liars is a pretty good show I really like it a lot. It has a positive message that being a bully isn't cool and it has good role models. I think 11 & up can handle this show and if they know from right to wrong parents shouldn't have a problem with this show.
Parent Written byGaga Fan March 26, 2011

Whether to watch this show depends on your child. I read the books as has my 14 year old and we watch in with our 10 year old. My 14 year old daughter is not impressed by the mean girls and thinks the relationship between Aria and Ezra is inappropriate. My 10 year old is male and just enjoys it for the mystery storyline and and shuts his eyes during the kissing. I don't have a problem with the lesbian storyline, but I can see where others might. It depends on your family and their values. It's definitely milder than Gossip Girl and Skins. My kids are not adversely effected and don't emulate the behavior of the characters. If your kids would admire these girls and want to make similar choices, I would not watch this show!
Parent Written byAndrew Jefferson July 11, 2013

PLL beautifies dying young.

This show is simply designed to make death at a young age appealing to teenagers. Just after watching the first season I have noticed many reoccurring suggestions about how tragically glamorous a young women's death can be. This can play with young, not fully mature, women's minds. The reason I am even writing this is because a high school girl who my wife was very close to committed suicide over a break up a few months ago. This girl was extremely popular and never showed any previous signs of depression. Just last week my wife suggested we start watching Pretty Little Liars because it was also this same girl's favorite show. After just completing the first season it has made me seriously consider if this show could have possibly had any influence in this girls choice in death. I am not saying the show is completely to blame, but, what I am saying is that it does have many little seeds that could very well be planted in young women's minds in regards to making suicide seem appealing. Just in the first episode during Ali's funeral one of the girls says something along the lines " I wish Ali could be here for this, she would have loved it. She is even more popular in death than in life." In episode 8 Ali is also shown romanticizing about dying young and describes how leaving behind a beautiful corps is true immortality. Dying old is less glamorous and few are around to morn your passing. Remember, film motifs can have very powerful effects on the conscious and subconscious mind. Especially on the adolescent.
Adult Written byJiMiF October 24, 2012

Caution Parents: The PLL Characters Live/Dress Like 20-Somethings, NOT Teens

I enjoy this show as an adult, but I know I would not have been allowed to watch it as a teen. All four girls are sexually active, and the love scenes are racy. The character Hanna was in a rush to lose her virginity, and when the character, Aria, who is in a relationship with her former teacher finally did the deed with him, she was met with approval and cheering from her friends. It depends on the values you're trying to instill, but these girls live a 20-something lifestyle, rather than that of a teen with even their access to big spending. When they show flashbacks of the girl who was murdered (who the show's plot centers on), I'm always surprised and find myself hoping no teens are watching and being negatively influenced. There's almost always alcohol and skimpy clothes in those scenes, and that character was supposed to be a new high schooler! It's such a fun show for grown ups, but I think it could lead teens astray from the values of home, especially if you have a conservative home or want your children to (and want to) preserve their virginity.
Adult Written byBerrybones July 5, 2011

Pretty Little Reservations!

I decided to watch an entire show first so I could decide whether I would let my teen (13) watch it. In the last minute, they showed a teen dead on the ground with a gun next to his body. He had just shot himself in the head. Not entertaining. I think I'll hold off on that decision for a while.
Parent of a 2, 14, and 14 year old Written byprettylittlelia... March 3, 2011

tweens and teens are okay

I love this show because it teaches children what life is like starting at about high school. They will know what kind of behavior to watch out for and stuff like that.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byelizabeth mc August 3, 2010

I saw the commercials for this show and thought it might be fun for my daughters to watch. They are 11 and 13. I also saw that a lot of their friends were watching the show, and so I didn't do my homework. I have learned a huge lesson, and strongly oppose any child being exposed this show or these books. Everything about this show is meant to shock and to normalize bad behaviors. ABC Family definitely needs to take the family out of its name with this type of programming. They are really targeting young viewers. It amazes me how inappropriate most "teen" books are and that middle school aged children are reading them. I watched the last episode where two best friends casually kiss. I really could not believe this was on TV. It was a very provocative scene that didn't seem to have anything to do with being gay, but more of one girl being seduced by one of her "best friends" who was just out to hurt people. It really trivializes what a gay teen might be going through. I am at a loss. Not to mention the teacher student relationship and the cheating parents and so on and so on. Just terrible role models all around for kids. The mystery part can be scary for kids, too. Sure kids may "know" about some of this stuff, but to show it on a "family" television station and make it seem okay and normal is very irresponsible. Guess that is the world we live in.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bylive4tea@msn.com August 21, 2010

fine for someone else's kids

I told my 13 yr old if it was so important to watch it, she needed to read the books first, then tell me if she felt is was appropriate. So far, no books...Maybe she IS the only 13 year old not watching it, but I didn't say she couldn't, just put some conditions on it.
Adult Written by90210fan February 2, 2011

for tweens and teens

Love it read all the books parents this show isn't as bad as gossip girl if u let ur kids watch teen shows let them wat ch it
Parent Written byPinkladykari September 2, 2011

Watch with your child!

The show itself is very good. I look forward to watching every week. Answers are revealed, but new questions arise. I watch it with my 11 yr old daughter. She really loves it - the twists and turns. We talk about the 'fictional' relationships and any inappropriateness and try to just enjoy the story.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byams101 January 15, 2011

This show is the best!
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bymadisonmom August 8, 2010

Normalizes sex and drugs as just another day in a teen's life

This series normalizes teen sex and drug use. A student aggressively pursues dating a teacher. No negative consequences to these behaviors are shown. The message is that this is just another typical day in the life.
Educator and Parent of a 14, 17, and 18 year old Written byBethDiane January 17, 2011

Entertaining but ... (unfortunately, for kids, it's educational too)

Given that teens naturally look to the outside world as they define a sense-of-self and a sense of normal, this program is not a smart choice. It is very entertaining, but unfortunately for the teens who haven't been taught to stop and think while watching, it's very educational. Parents may want to watch the program first. Then, if you think it is acceptable for your child, watch it with her. Be prepared to share your views about lying, back-stabbing, stereotyping, body image and promiscuity, versus... honesty, character, loyalty, real beauty, & inner gifts. Good conversations to have, but so many topics at once could be a challenge. Unless you are sure that you can wade through all of these typical entertainment gimmicks while keeping your parent-child relationship in tact, you might want to just change the channel. Wait, your child will hear all about it at school anyway . . . better have the conversations!
Adult Written byjcq October 12, 2013

Television for an intellectually-inclined child

Undoubtedly, your child has already been exposed to all the themes in this show, especially in the 21st century (though this did not happen as frequently in the 20th century). I would say to watch the show with your child because it is a mystery which makes it so addictive, and through that, you can truly engage your child in taking a critical approach, delving deeper into the questions the storyline poses, solving the issues and inconsistencies. Furthermore, issues of morality ("What is moral? What is not?") are raised. The show does not answer these questions but there is a subtle suggestion of answering them for yourself. The four main characters are faced with this question in nearly every episode. I say this particularly in relation the deceased character, Alison, who represents the good and bad that simultaneously exists within every person. There are also several literary and cinematic references throughout the entirety of the series, ranging from Hitchcock films to famous pieces of literature that your teenager will likely read in school, i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, Hamlet, and many more. What a great way to use pop culture to influence your child academically! On that note, I'd say that this show is appropriate for more intelligent, inquisitive teenagers that have more developed cognitive abilities. If your child is more of mindless absorber that is likely to jump off the bridge with the others, this show can likely have a negative influence on him or her. However, please remember television deprivation will not retroactively aid your child when he or she is in his or her late teens.