Parent reviews for Project Runway

Check this one out before sharing with fashion-crazed teens.

Adult Written bylifeisminty April 9, 2008
This program is extremely addictive and very entertaining. I suppose commercialism and unprofessionalism by the contestants are the only issues here, but those can be excellent springboards for dialogue with younger viewers (the show does have an avid fanbase with young teens, you know.) However, creativity and hard work are also reinforced as important traits, which I feel is a good message to put across. I think the whole family should watch together.
Adult Written bypattycake April 9, 2008

Creativity Rules

My football playing son and I enjoy the show very much. He really loves the models but comments on the outfits as well. We like the challenges. We are reality show junkies and rate this show right up there with "Survivor" and "Amazing Race". We alsio like "Desogn Star" This show is all about creativity.
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byaveryt_m April 9, 2008

The social themes make this great

We are all major fans of Project Runway - watching it is a family event. We have our favorites and Dad (never even thought about the world of fashion) is the biggest fan. We always find something to talk about - creativity, mentoring, fashion as art vs. just clothes, technical aspects of making clothes, choices, sexual orientation, competition, and of course we have our favorites! The models are shown as real people who have preferences and concerns too. We talk about the motivation and desire of the designers, the fairness (or not) of the judging, the different aspects of the fashion industry represented in the judging, and how you have to have little sense of personal space to be a model. It's fascinating and these people have real talent.
Adult Written byKcamshaw February 15, 2020

Dildos and Nipples

As a parent, I think you should base your decision on when it’s appropriate for your child to watch designers use fabrics that include dildos and nipples on them. And in which they talk endlessly about dildos and nipples. I’ve been watching PR with my 10 year old for over a year and been okay with the bleeped out language and some more adult themes that could require a discussion, like homosexuality. But this was a little over the edge for me to watch with my elementary-age child. So, do with this info as you will.

Adult Written byLilacWines December 8, 2018

Great for inspiring creativity

This is great for creative kids. For a reality tv show, they mostly keep the drama pretty low keep and focus more on fashion and artistic talent.
Adult Written byTrevorsHeartburn September 22, 2015

Was Better With Michael Kors

Zac Posen makes me want to eradicate an entire endangered species using solely a Macy's mannequin hand

Parent Written byninakv September 2, 2015

Good for kids interested in fashion who have an adult to watch/talk with

This is a fun show for kids who like fashion, and who like to watch people make clothes. Mild bad language. Some competitors are good sports and some are bad. Starts lots of conversations about what it means to talk behind other's backs, how to criticize the art and not the artist. Lots of commercial placements, some of them so tenuously related to fashion, it's funny. Tim Gunn is a great role model. Contestants are from all over, all ages and backgrounds, and all different styles of work. I saw that the main review of this calls out the models being undressed: they aren't gratuitously undressed, they're doing a job which requires putting on clothes.

Adult Written bymr.TR May 7, 2011

The Show Needs to Keep It's Language and Content Clean and Safe for All Audiences.

On 5/7/2011, Project Runway was shown on a U.S. TV station. In one episode, a woman contestant points her open scissors at the camera, and says something like: "In the next competition, I'm gonna cut his little_____ off." The subject that she is pretending to destroy is an area of another contestant's body.
Her language and subject matter, is language that is not appropriate for kids under 17. The censors of this show should not have allowed kind of language on the show. Language like that is only appropriate for: people over 17, or for shows that have a rating of: adult, 17+, or R or not rated/X rated/rated Mature.
I like the show, it is a show that is good at showing people in the fashion industry. The show also has fun competitions, but I feel that we need to keep [TV language and TV content appropriate], on TV shows that are rated and designed for all audiences, and TV shows that are rated for kids who are 16 and under.

Parent of a 3, 6, and 8-year-old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009
Adult Written byprojectrunwayfan April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymomof3! April 9, 2008

Great show for 10 and up!

This show is great, and I watch it all the time with my daughter, Addison. She is 12 years old. It has some rough language, but it's okay if you teach your child not to talk like that.
Adult Written bymodelmom8925 April 9, 2008

Its excellent!

My daughters and family have been in the fashion industry for many years including myself.It's a great show that shows kids how to be creative with everyday materials.It's a brilliant show!