All teen and kid member reviews for Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Teen, 15 years old Written byvioletflames November 13, 2012

Deconstruction of a classic anime genre

First off, I am surprised to see this on here haha! As a huge anime fan, I have sifted through many a harem show of a show that promises to be such a great, new thing, and seen many disappointments. I have to say that Madoka Magica is not one of them :) It is an extraordinary magical girl show, that fools you into thinking that it will be like all the rest, then hits you hard with what it really is! This is NOT for anyone under 13, as Studio SHAFT (The creators) have a very stylistic way of animating things (some scenes can be creepy to younger kids, especially the labyrinths) and they are not afraid to let characters die terrible deaths. I have heard that there is some language in the dub, but there is none in the sub. This show has positive messages, especially about standing up for yourself and protecting the ones you love. I thoroughly recommend this to any anime fan!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 19, 2014

It Won't Let You Look At The Magical Girl Genre The Same Way Again

I definitely didn't expect to see this show getting reviewed by CSM, mainly because it's rather unknown outside the anime universe. As much as it might seem like another of those cheesy fantasy girl shows that you see all of the time on channels like 4Kids. Deep down to the core, it really is a psychological thriller and a darn good one at that. With the constant twists and turns presented in beautiful and extremely inventive animation, it is definitely worth renting out 12 episodes. However, this isn't one I would recommend to your fairy loving 5 year old as it is quite violent and it can get pretty dark. This anime is also one of the rare cases in which the language is a lot milder in the original Japanese sub than what it is in the English version (just something that I would watch out for since most people not familiar with anime usually go for the dub.) This is a certainly a show that is worth checking out no matter how much you like magical girls or not, but it's one that's definitely meant to be left for teens, although it's worth trying out with older preteens as well, if they're mature enough. ON: 13+ IFFY: 10-12 OFF: 9 and under
Teen, 14 years old Written byVanillaSalt January 25, 2013

Puella Magi Madoka Magica!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was the diamond in the rough for me when it came to anime. There are so many anime out there with great potential, yet it never seems to build itself up to what it could be. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT this and was a breath of fresh air. The story follows Madoka Kaname, a naive and sweet girl who leads a seemingly normal life with a few close friends and a loving family. This all changes when she crosses paths with Kyubey, an extraterrestrial being that offers to grant her one wish in return for her service as a Puella Magi. While the show seems very innocent when you begin watching it, there is more than what meets the eye as it takes a sharp, dark turn several episodes in to the anime. However, the anime itself is thought provoking and makes for an excellent discussion topic as there is so much to think about and draw meanings from. The positive messages are strong with this anime, and the character's personalities are true to life and human. -Concerns- This anime tends to be violent in certain scenes (examples of this include a pity-kill that is silhouetted, two decapitations that are silhouetted/ off screen, and several deaths. There is not much blood or gore (only a few cuts and scrapes here or there, nothing that would be sickening to watch.) Language is not particularly strong (I watch the subtitled version) with just a few curse words dropped here and there, but there is one scene in the anime that drops a few insults towards females (However, the behavior of the people doing the insulting is looked down upon by a lead character, who is quick to correct their behavior.) (For those who have seen this anime already and are questioning what I mean by this, it is the train scene with Sayaka.) Alcohol is scene very briefly in the anime, but the characters that consume the alcohol are adults and are not portrayed as drunks. I really can't say bad things about this anime as it is just simply wonderful. This is one series that cannot be passed up; it's just that good!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySuper Fangirl November 13, 2014

Really is NOT as bad as some people are saying... But still for semi-mature audiences.

This show is NOT for young kids, I know that, especially seeing as the show is rated a 15, people should'nt be too surprised about that. I personally LOVED this show, so did my Mum, and also my Friend who watched it after I did. The show is about a 14 year old girl called Madoka and her Friend Sayaka who meet a creature called Kyubey who asks them to make a contract and become a magical girls in exchange for one wish. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Just like sailor moon right? Wrong. The girls don't agree right away, they think long and hard about if they should do it or not and what their wishes would be, while the new girl Homura is trying to stop them from making the contract (She knows the truth). Sayaka eventually makes the contract to heal the boy she loves (I won't go over the whole thing now), they meet mami who is all friendly and really good at fighting witches but.... well..... She gets her head bitten of. It is NOT gruesome though, but if you are worried you may want to look this scene up on youtube (Its from episode 3). This is where the series takes a dark turn and introduces itself as a kind of weird and serious anime about friendship, descisions, morals, and saving the world. This series is somewhat psychological, and often questions the morals of the magical girls and motives of the Kyubey. It can get quite sad and emotional, with the girls often between a rock and a hard place. This show contains some swearing, but it doesn't go as far as to say the F word (Although in the english dub they begin the word but do not finish it in one scene. NOTE: This series has subtitles and a dub so you can choose) There is also action, blood and sad scenes. Well, I seem to have made this anime look realy bad... When in fact it is AMAZING! \(^o^)/ Like sad and interesting anime? This is the one for you! This anime is not really appropriate for anybody under 12, but it really depends on how mature said individual is. I would say it is a 13 plus as two out of 3 discs of this anime are 12s (the third is a 15), again, watch some clips if you are really not sure, they have clips of the witch fights on youtube, so have a look :) Thank you for reading this reveiw, I am sorry I listed a lot of the bad things, it's just that I wanted to make it clear that this is NOTHING like the other magical girl anime. Do not get angry with me for my opinions, as they are just my veiws.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 December 8, 2015

Excellent anime

This anime is great and definitely in my top 10. But as everyone has pointed out this show is actually very dark and not aimed at young kids. At the very least I'd say it's an iffy for 12. As for content it doesn't ever reach "R- Rated" levels in content, it's content is actually tamer than a lot of PG-13 films in some areas and I would be more comfortable showing a 12/13 year old this than a lot of what's out now. It's tone, however, might make some parents say no to this, the first 2 episodes are lighter, but by the end of episode 3 you'll realize the true nature of the show. This is not a "cool action show" nor is it a "cute girl show". It's genre is actually classified as being a dark fantasy/magical girl/horror. The TV-14 rating should have already been a warning, if you show this to a young kid, really the faults on you. Anyways on to content. Violence isn't graphic but it obviously is a major factor in what gives this show a TV-14 rating in the first place. There are several fights in the show with some having briefly disturbing moments. Such as one girl repeatedly slashing a monster (witch) with some blood shown. Blood isn't seen very often, but it still sometimes shows up. A girl get's her head bitten off, this however takes place OFF SCREEN. That's about the extent of it. As for sexual content, there's really nothing noteworthy here, there is no fan service crap that is common in a lot of anime, nor are there any sex scenes. The girls transformation sequences show them naked, however no sensitive parts are shown since their bodies are glowing and they don't feature realistic anatomy. It isn't meant to be sexual so I really wouldn't worry about that. The main characters also wear short skirts, that's really as bad as it gets. As for language, it isn't very frequent but we some hear things on such as "damn" or "what the hell?", there are no f-bombs in the entire show. There is one sceneI would take some caution with. In episode 8, two misogynist talking men are shown having a conversation about their girlfriends and they use the words "b!tch", "s**t", and one "motherfu-" (he's interrupted before he says it). This seen lasts less than a minute, If this makes you feel uneasy I would recommend muting your TV until you see the girl enter their conversation. All in all this is a great show and you should definitely check it out, I give it a 4.5 out of 5
Teen, 13 years old Written byUxie Trixie Usa... January 16, 2013

Puella Magi Tenebrae Magica

I consider myself pretty mature, but given the violence and overall tone, I believe it might not be the best for children, but a teenager could handle it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 July 5, 2013

Pretty Good

This is acutally pretty good for a magical girl anime(I love anime). I would recommend this for anyone 12 or older.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGiygas June 29, 2013

Magical Girls, with a twist

Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2015

Okay with a touch of darkness

This show for me was perfectly OKAY! The violence isn't that hard to handle, there is hardly any blood. There was a part where she was decapitated but it's really the only Violent thing you'll see. And the opening you guys are worried about....Is perfectly OKAY if you find it bad them SKIP IT. This show to me is brilliant I loved how they put in a dark twist onto a magical girl anime. I think kids 12-13 are okay maybe even 11 it's all up to you.
Kid, 10 years old July 16, 2015

Awesome!

Madoka Magica is a really good anime. The first two episodes are not so bad, but the darkness begins from the third episode and beyond. There is some violence and blood.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFairyWars9 March 22, 2013

The Movies are NOT FOR TODDLERS!

OK first off, I am NOT reviewing the anime, I'm reviewing the movies (Part 1 and 2) and I didn't see the movie myself, my friend did. So all the stuff I am saying comes from him. Ok? Well here goes. My friend went to see Part 1 in theaters since it's rare for an Anime movie to appear in Canada in theaters. But when he went to sit in his seat, he was shocked to find that little kids and toddlers were watching the movie (and this is a PG movie with guns, swords, some cussing, but crap isn't a cuss to me) and a couple minutes into the film, there is a scene with a big boom or explosion that freaked the entire audience of toddlers out. He even saw tons of people come in and out with their kids. So parents, here is my message to you...PG IS NOT THE SAME AS G!!! I saw the EXACT same thing went I went to see the first SpongeBob movie in theaters in 2004 or so (I was 6 then) the movie was PG, yet there was tons of toddlers that got scared by Dennis. I don't have any complaints about the movie itself, though. It's pretty cute!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMizzie09 February 6, 2016

Balance

The anime is about that happiness can also bring about sadness , and that friends are important.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAccurateTeenageAmine December 24, 2015

It's like 'Yuki Yuna is a hero' meets Watchmen

This show may start out looking cute, innocent, and very kid-friendly. This is false. Although it is a very good show with great characters and an in-depth plot, it gets very dark. I will be going into some spoilers in this review to make sure you are warned, if you plan on watching this show, do it. Stop reading this and watch it this will ruin it. In the first 3 episodes the show is very lighthearted and cute, but at the end of the 3rd episode Mami Tomoe, a role-model type magical girl, gets decapitated. It only gets worse, in a later episode Sayaka, main character Madoka's best friend, kind of goes crazy and murders two guys who did actually deserve it, they were badmouthing their girlfriends on a train and Sayaka hearing them got pissed and the show implies without directly stating that she kills them. Farther into the show it goes into a Butterfly Effect stage when a character is revealed to be able to control time. It then spends an entire episode going through multiple timelines showing her transformation from regular innocent girl to hardened cold badass. Along the way I actually cried because it showed several characters losing it when a certain truth is revealed causing Mami, who in this timeline is alive, to kill fellow magical girl Kyouko and almost kill Homura until Madoka kills her first and Homura is forced to go back in time. These are all major spoilers that would ruin the show so I will just warn you of this, there is a lot of creepy parts, many depressing parts, and only in the beginning will you actually think it is funny. Regardless you should really watch this show it is worth it, although you will probably cry at times. There is a bit of swearing and quite a lot of violence, some very adult themes and also in-depth themes and ideas such as entropy and depression. All in all watch this show and try to get your friends to watch it to see their reaction. It will be hilarious.
Teen, 14 years old Written bychiester45 November 14, 2015

Outstanding deconstruction

Do not be fooled by its cartoon-style and childish plot--Puella Magi Madoka Magica is actually a dark television series with many (adult!) themes. It actively deconstructs the popular "magical girl" genre, seen in such shows like "Sailor Moon" or "Cardcaptor Sakura". It reverses typical tropes and shows what consequences can come by spinning a choice on whether or not to spend your life fighting monsters. Advanced topics such as entropy do appear, so even if your child may withstand the dark themes, he or she might not understand other topics. Either way, this is a brilliant anime with good role models (Madoka Kaname, and Mami Tomoe, and, to a lesser extent, Homura Akemi). However, please be wary of the dark themes and minor yet plot-central violence that does appear. 9.5/10
Teen, 15 years old Written byGravitynaut November 12, 2015

Exceptional yet Horrific

It appears that my review is the highest age rating of the reviews here. What I'm here to warn you about is that it appears that while most of the reviews here will warn you about the dark turn the show takes, none of them really give you a grasp on just HOW dark it is. Know that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT a show for children nor is it a show for the easily disturbed, shaken, or depressed. Only incredibly mature teenagers should apply, and even then, with caution, as it has the capability of being nothing short of soul-crushing. Without going into specifics and depending on the person, Madoka Magica borderlines on pure psychological horror, and often deals with themes like depression, death, dispair, humanity, evil, and does not hold back when it comes to showcasing said death, depression, dispair, decapitation, torture, and WORSE, all envoked upon children of 12-15 years of age. It intentionally leads one to believe it is innocent in nature, and then strips everything away, revealing the true nature of the show. Not only are it's characters all too relatable, but their deaths and the way they are handled remains all too realistic and downright horrifying at times. The show's true nature is that of enough psychological torment and dread to make even the most toughened crowds shake. This may seem like I am overselling this, but Madoka Magica (as well as it's sequel movie, "Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebillion") has a way of getting under your skin with hardcore psychological horror, adult fear, all-too relatable and likable characters (and their horrific demises, all of which are again, children), and themes and concepts FAR too mature in nature for younger teenagers, children, and ESPECIALLY the easily shaken or depressed. Save this one for when you are absolutely positive your child can take that amount of weight. But, when they are, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of the smartest, beautiful, and downright brilliant shows I've ever seen. Ultimately, these things are what make the show so incredible, and it's defiance of genre tropes and great characters make for some very original and and emotional viewing. It's unflinchingly dark, for sure, but for those old enough, it's all the better for it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byluna2211 September 10, 2015

Not your typical Magical Girl show (spoilers)

Well, I watched this show after watching a review for the show. So I actually knew what kind of show it was. It is scary and the witches are pretty freaky, and can cause some mental scarring. There are also plenty of character deaths, including my personal favorite character (RIP Kyouko :() And the characters are actually developed quite well and the plot reveals itself well and it is well paced and interesting. You want to see what happens next, you want to see what happens to the characters and if they'll survive long enough to fight the main villain, or survive that fight. The main message of the show is that nothing is ever free, and you may have to make sacrifices if you want something good to happen to you or to your friends and family. I cried multiple times during this movie because you really do CARE about them. You even care about the side characters, like Kyouske, who was a violinist who was in an accident that damaged his hands so he couldn't play anymore. You want him to get better and be happy, mostly because the (sometimes) secondary protagonist Sayaka is in love with him. Speaking of protagonists, the protagonist for the first 8-9 episodes is Madoka, and then the show seems to suddenly switch protagonists to Homura for an episode or two and then just switches back to Madoka, and that can be rather jarring/confusing. Overall, this show is interesting, dark, and violent (which is a good thing). It's also touching, and it gets you attached to the characters. And, OMG the opening is AMAZING!!! The song is called Connect by ClariS, so go buy it RIGHT NOW!!
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2015

Fantastic Anime, Though not for Kids Under 10

Right off the bat, I'll say that this was a fantastic, well thought out and emotional anime. You can really compare to any character at least through personality. We follow the adventures of Madoka Kaname, who with the help of her friend Sayaka Miki, save a magical creature named Kyubey. After this they meet many new friends. Before this, we meet the new, seemingly perfect student, Homura Akemi. Later, we meet Mami Tomoe, a kind soul who loves to help others, and Kyoko Sakura, who picks fights and swears a lot more than any other character. really any swearing you here comes from Kyoko. Now, the first 2 episodes introduce you to the magical girl world. "Hey, I can grant any wish. In return, you must fight witches." That's vague, isn't it? Well, we see the beauty of it in the first 2 episodes, which may come as boring and light. But later, we learn the dark secrets behind being a magical girl. With violence, the witches try and beat the girls to a pulp. One girl is hung upside down for a few seconds and is clearly in agony, but keeps her cool. A witch even decapitates one girl, but its all shown from a distance and its silhouetted. There's really no gore or major appearances of blood either. Also, there is a scene in which two magical girls fight each other. As for positive messages and role models, Madoka gives positive messages. She's a kind-hearted girl who cares deeply for everyone and everything. She hates when girls fight, and is forced to watch as Sayaka is nearly killed by Kyoko. Not much swearing, consumerism or drinking, though Madoka's mother is shown drinking in scenes. This anime is not at all for young kids. PG is different from G. Someone who saw the trailer and jumped right in with a toddler should be warned: It is not for children under 10-11.
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2015

Awesome!

(I'm sorry but spoilers ahead on the fates of the characters and important info on the story) I really liked the whole darker twist on the magical girl genre! I'll start with the intro. The theme song sounds lighthearted and innocent, but the translations of the lyrics talk about fear and anxiety. In the theme song, two Madokas are seen naked but there is a glow around them so it's barely visible. It is revealed that this is Madoka's goddess form. The first two episodes were absolute tricks. It led the watchers to believe it was a happy giggly magical girl anime like Sailor Moon. However, Mami, who had just been introduced in the first ep, dies. Decapitation, what a terrible way to die. The entire thing happens off-screen and we only see a silhouette of Mami's body fall. This is a highly disturbing scene to be honest. There is a considerate amount of violence but can be handled by ages 10(me) and up. There are some swears but happen very very rarely and frequently are only minced oaths (heck, darn) magical girls are briefly without clothes during transformation scenes but you can only see it if you pause the video so not at all obvious. Madoka's mother Junko has a drink once in a while but not obviously. Hitomi, Sayaka, and Madoka talk about romance once. The characters die a lot and most are alive in a new, rebuilt timeline while Madoka has ascended to a higher plane of existence and normal Madoka erased from existence, with only Homura and Tatsuya to an extent remembering her. My favourites are Sayaka and Kyoko, they're very good and developed characters! The character designs are great, the characters are not one-sided and predictable, but have depth and great designs. Over all with this, I'd recommend 10+ only. Perhaps 9+ with parental supervision.
Teen, 14 years old Written byi am so kawaii July 21, 2015

It seems cute but actually very dark

This anime is a "Magical Girls" series. This one, gives it a twist. Lots of violence, but not as gory. Very sad,too. Characters meet tragic deaths. This anime is pretty much about "what you would sacrifice to be a magical girl".there is some nudity. But it barely shows anything at all. A cat-like creature, kyubey, is blown up and shot, but always comes back alive. Oh, and since he has about a million clones of himself, he will EAT his old body. Recommended for teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRikaTanaka May 25, 2015

Really great anime, very dark

Madoka Magica is a wonderful anime. It has a beautiful story line. I'd say it's almost like Sailor Moon - if it wasn't so depressing. The anime begins to be very cheery and depicts being a Magical Girl to be a fun job, but as the series progresses, it begins to show that it's actually very frightening and dangerous. The characters are almost always afraid, and if they become too depressed, they will turn into witches. Though it's very dark and depressing, it also shows you that no matter what happens, you have to keep moving on, no matter how hard life gets, and you must accept fate as it is.