All teen and kid member reviews for Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 19, 2014

It Won't Let You Look At The Magical Girl Genre The Same Way Again

I definitely didn't expect to see this show getting reviewed by CSM, mainly because it's rather unknown outside the anime universe. As much as it might seem like another of those cheesy fantasy girl shows that you see all of the time on channels like 4Kids. Deep down to the core, it really is a psychological thriller and a darn good one at that. With the constant twists and turns presented in beautiful and extremely inventive animation, it is definitely worth renting out 12 episodes. However, this isn't one I would recommend to your fairy loving 5 year old as it is quite violent and it can get pretty dark. This anime is also one of the rare cases in which the language is a lot milder in the original Japanese sub than what it is in the English version (just something that I would watch out for since most people not familiar with anime usually go for the dub.) This is a certainly a show that is worth checking out no matter how much you like magical girls or not, but it's one that's definitely meant to be left for teens, although it's worth trying out with older preteens as well, if they're mature enough. ON: 13+ IFFY: 10-12 OFF: 9 and under
Teen, 15 years old Written byvioletflames November 13, 2012

Deconstruction of a classic anime genre

First off, I am surprised to see this on here haha! As a huge anime fan, I have sifted through many a harem show of a show that promises to be such a great, new thing, and seen many disappointments. I have to say that Madoka Magica is not one of them :) It is an extraordinary magical girl show, that fools you into thinking that it will be like all the rest, then hits you hard with what it really is! This is NOT for anyone under 13, as Studio SHAFT (The creators) have a very stylistic way of animating things (some scenes can be creepy to younger kids, especially the labyrinths) and they are not afraid to let characters die terrible deaths. I have heard that there is some language in the dub, but there is none in the sub. This show has positive messages, especially about standing up for yourself and protecting the ones you love. I thoroughly recommend this to any anime fan!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 December 8, 2015

Excellent anime

This anime is great and definitely in my top 10. But as everyone has pointed out this show is actually very dark and not aimed at young kids. At the very least I'd say it's an iffy for 12. As for content it doesn't ever reach "R- Rated" levels in content, it's content is actually tamer than a lot of PG-13 films in some areas and I would be more comfortable showing a 12/13 year old this than a lot of what's out now. It's tone, however, might make some parents say no to this, the first 2 episodes are lighter, but by the end of episode 3 you'll realize the true nature of the show. This is not a "cool action show" nor is it a "cute girl show". It's genre is actually classified as being a dark fantasy/magical girl/horror. The TV-14 rating should have already been a warning, if you show this to a young kid, really the faults on you. Anyways on to content. Violence isn't graphic but it obviously is a major factor in what gives this show a TV-14 rating in the first place. There are several fights in the show with some having briefly disturbing moments. Such as one girl repeatedly slashing a monster (witch) with some blood shown. Blood isn't seen very often, but it still sometimes shows up. A girl get's her head bitten off, this however takes place OFF SCREEN. That's about the extent of it. As for sexual content, there's really nothing noteworthy here, there is no fan service crap that is common in a lot of anime, nor are there any sex scenes. The girls transformation sequences show them naked, however no sensitive parts are shown since their bodies are glowing and they don't feature realistic anatomy. It isn't meant to be sexual so I really wouldn't worry about that. The main characters also wear short skirts, that's really as bad as it gets. As for language, it isn't very frequent but we some hear things on such as "damn" or "what the hell?", there are no f-bombs in the entire show. There is one sceneI would take some caution with. In episode 8, two misogynist talking men are shown having a conversation about their girlfriends and they use the words "b!tch", "s**t", and one "motherfu-" (he's interrupted before he says it). This seen lasts less than a minute, If this makes you feel uneasy I would recommend muting your TV until you see the girl enter their conversation. All in all this is a great show and you should definitely check it out, I give it a 4.5 out of 5
Teen, 13 years old Written bySuper Fangirl November 13, 2014

Really is NOT as bad as some people are saying... But still for semi-mature audiences.

This show is NOT for young kids, I know that, especially seeing as the show is rated a 15, people should'nt be too surprised about that. I personally LOVED this show, so did my Mum, and also my Friend who watched it after I did. The show is about a 14 year old girl called Madoka and her Friend Sayaka who meet a creature called Kyubey who asks them to make a contract and become a magical girls in exchange for one wish. Sounds pretty straight forward, right? Just like sailor moon right? Wrong. The girls don't agree right away, they think long and hard about if they should do it or not and what their wishes would be, while the new girl Homura is trying to stop them from making the contract (She knows the truth). Sayaka eventually makes the contract to heal the boy she loves (I won't go over the whole thing now), they meet mami who is all friendly and really good at fighting witches but.... well..... She gets her head bitten of. It is NOT gruesome though, but if you are worried you may want to look this scene up on youtube (Its from episode 3). This is where the series takes a dark turn and introduces itself as a kind of weird and serious anime about friendship, descisions, morals, and saving the world. This series is somewhat psychological, and often questions the morals of the magical girls and motives of the Kyubey. It can get quite sad and emotional, with the girls often between a rock and a hard place. This show contains some swearing, but it doesn't go as far as to say the F word (Although in the english dub they begin the word but do not finish it in one scene. NOTE: This series has subtitles and a dub so you can choose) There is also action, blood and sad scenes. Well, I seem to have made this anime look realy bad... When in fact it is AMAZING! \(^o^)/ Like sad and interesting anime? This is the one for you! This anime is not really appropriate for anybody under 12, but it really depends on how mature said individual is. I would say it is a 13 plus as two out of 3 discs of this anime are 12s (the third is a 15), again, watch some clips if you are really not sure, they have clips of the witch fights on youtube, so have a look :) Thank you for reading this reveiw, I am sorry I listed a lot of the bad things, it's just that I wanted to make it clear that this is NOTHING like the other magical girl anime. Do not get angry with me for my opinions, as they are just my veiws.
Teen, 14 years old Written byVanillaSalt January 25, 2013

Puella Magi Madoka Magica!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica was the diamond in the rough for me when it came to anime. There are so many anime out there with great potential, yet it never seems to build itself up to what it could be. Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT this and was a breath of fresh air. The story follows Madoka Kaname, a naive and sweet girl who leads a seemingly normal life with a few close friends and a loving family. This all changes when she crosses paths with Kyubey, an extraterrestrial being that offers to grant her one wish in return for her service as a Puella Magi. While the show seems very innocent when you begin watching it, there is more than what meets the eye as it takes a sharp, dark turn several episodes in to the anime. However, the anime itself is thought provoking and makes for an excellent discussion topic as there is so much to think about and draw meanings from. The positive messages are strong with this anime, and the character's personalities are true to life and human. -Concerns- This anime tends to be violent in certain scenes (examples of this include a pity-kill that is silhouetted, two decapitations that are silhouetted/ off screen, and several deaths. There is not much blood or gore (only a few cuts and scrapes here or there, nothing that would be sickening to watch.) Language is not particularly strong (I watch the subtitled version) with just a few curse words dropped here and there, but there is one scene in the anime that drops a few insults towards females (However, the behavior of the people doing the insulting is looked down upon by a lead character, who is quick to correct their behavior.) (For those who have seen this anime already and are questioning what I mean by this, it is the train scene with Sayaka.) Alcohol is scene very briefly in the anime, but the characters that consume the alcohol are adults and are not portrayed as drunks. I really can't say bad things about this anime as it is just simply wonderful. This is one series that cannot be passed up; it's just that good!
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2015

Awesome!

(I'm sorry but spoilers ahead on the fates of the characters and important info on the story) I really liked the whole darker twist on the magical girl genre! I'll start with the intro. The theme song sounds lighthearted and innocent, but the translations of the lyrics talk about fear and anxiety. In the theme song, two Madokas are seen naked but there is a glow around them so it's barely visible. It is revealed that this is Madoka's goddess form. The first two episodes were absolute tricks. It led the watchers to believe it was a happy giggly magical girl anime like Sailor Moon. However, Mami, who had just been introduced in the first ep, dies. Decapitation, what a terrible way to die. The entire thing happens off-screen and we only see a silhouette of Mami's body fall. This is a highly disturbing scene to be honest. There is a considerate amount of violence but can be handled by ages 10(me) and up. There are some swears but happen very very rarely and frequently are only minced oaths (heck, darn) magical girls are briefly without clothes during transformation scenes but you can only see it if you pause the video so not at all obvious. Madoka's mother Junko has a drink once in a while but not obviously. Hitomi, Sayaka, and Madoka talk about romance once. The characters die a lot and most are alive in a new, rebuilt timeline while Madoka has ascended to a higher plane of existence and normal Madoka erased from existence, with only Homura and Tatsuya to an extent remembering her. My favourites are Sayaka and Kyoko, they're very good and developed characters! The character designs are great, the characters are not one-sided and predictable, but have depth and great designs. Over all with this, I'd recommend 10+ only. Perhaps 9+ with parental supervision.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUxie Trixie Usa... January 16, 2013

Puella Magi Tenebrae Magica

I consider myself pretty mature, but given the violence and overall tone, I believe it might not be the best for children, but a teenager could handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGravitynaut November 12, 2015

Exceptional yet Horrific

It appears that my review is the highest age rating of the reviews here. What I'm here to warn you about is that it appears that while most of the reviews here will warn you about the dark turn the show takes, none of them really give you a grasp on just HOW dark it is. Know that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is NOT a show for children nor is it a show for the easily disturbed, shaken, or depressed. Only incredibly mature teenagers should apply, and even then, with caution, as it has the capability of being nothing short of soul-crushing. Without going into specifics and depending on the person, Madoka Magica borderlines on pure psychological horror, and often deals with themes like depression, death, dispair, humanity, evil, and does not hold back when it comes to showcasing said death, depression, dispair, decapitation, torture, and WORSE, all envoked upon children of 12-15 years of age. It intentionally leads one to believe it is innocent in nature, and then strips everything away, revealing the true nature of the show. Not only are it's characters all too relatable, but their deaths and the way they are handled remains all too realistic and downright horrifying at times. The show's true nature is that of enough psychological torment and dread to make even the most toughened crowds shake. This may seem like I am overselling this, but Madoka Magica (as well as it's sequel movie, "Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebillion") has a way of getting under your skin with hardcore psychological horror, adult fear, all-too relatable and likable characters (and their horrific demises, all of which are again, children), and themes and concepts FAR too mature in nature for younger teenagers, children, and ESPECIALLY the easily shaken or depressed. Save this one for when you are absolutely positive your child can take that amount of weight. But, when they are, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of the smartest, beautiful, and downright brilliant shows I've ever seen. Ultimately, these things are what make the show so incredible, and it's defiance of genre tropes and great characters make for some very original and and emotional viewing. It's unflinchingly dark, for sure, but for those old enough, it's all the better for it.
Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2015

Okay with a touch of darkness

This show for me was perfectly OKAY! The violence isn't that hard to handle, there is hardly any blood. There was a part where she was decapitated but it's really the only Violent thing you'll see. And the opening you guys are worried about....Is perfectly OKAY if you find it bad them SKIP IT. This show to me is brilliant I loved how they put in a dark twist onto a magical girl anime. I think kids 12-13 are okay maybe even 11 it's all up to you.
Teen, 14 years old Written byluna2211 September 10, 2015

Not your typical Magical Girl show (spoilers)

Well, I watched this show after watching a review for the show. So I actually knew what kind of show it was. It is scary and the witches are pretty freaky, and can cause some mental scarring. There are also plenty of character deaths, including my personal favorite character (RIP Kyouko :() And the characters are actually developed quite well and the plot reveals itself well and it is well paced and interesting. You want to see what happens next, you want to see what happens to the characters and if they'll survive long enough to fight the main villain, or survive that fight. The main message of the show is that nothing is ever free, and you may have to make sacrifices if you want something good to happen to you or to your friends and family. I cried multiple times during this movie because you really do CARE about them. You even care about the side characters, like Kyouske, who was a violinist who was in an accident that damaged his hands so he couldn't play anymore. You want him to get better and be happy, mostly because the (sometimes) secondary protagonist Sayaka is in love with him. Speaking of protagonists, the protagonist for the first 8-9 episodes is Madoka, and then the show seems to suddenly switch protagonists to Homura for an episode or two and then just switches back to Madoka, and that can be rather jarring/confusing. Overall, this show is interesting, dark, and violent (which is a good thing). It's also touching, and it gets you attached to the characters. And, OMG the opening is AMAZING!!! The song is called Connect by ClariS, so go buy it RIGHT NOW!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheChocolateQueen May 3, 2015

Oh my glob!

At first it seem like a cute girly show whit the like ''girly violence'' If you know what I mean. But then there are the witches that are NOT cute and a bit scary. And as the story flows it gets more and more scary and dark . A bit like the movie: ''Coraline''. I had some fun watching it but I will not watch it again.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4NeverEcho April 22, 2015

LOVED IT

I think it would be appropriate for whoever can handle violence and total tragedies. Sure, there is cussing- I watched subbed. My friend and I found this when we were 11 and watched it when we were 12. I didn't cry, but she did. It's sad for people who love anime and get connected to the characters, but it has positive messages. You should be thankful for who you are and what you have. I told my mom about it, and she was shocked when I told her about Hitomi mixing chlorine bleach with other chemicals. I guess if you can stand stuff like this, like me, then anyone can watch it 11 and above. It's only twelve episodes, but one of my favorite manga and anime series of all time!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 10, 2014

I think the description is spot on / just a beautiful show

If a cute little furry creature came to you and asked "If there was something in this world that you wanted to wish for what would it be, I could make anything possible". Wow, it would be hard right? This show is beautiful in art and spirit but be warned the cuteness may just be a mask. I suggest daughters watch this with mothers or close girlfriends because it is a handful to take in. The story is fascinating and great but dark and conflicting. It was not hard for me to choose what I would wish for, all I will say is Homura Akemi. I really want to rate it 5 stars but it's kinda my policy to not do so because there will never be a movie or show to be given 5 stars, but that's just me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNear01 May 18, 2014

Best Magical Girl Anime Ever.

This anime starts off as a cutesy, sweet girly anime, but by episode 3 it cruelly turns the sweetness off. After the episode 3, it becomes more horror based. However, I watched this when I was 11, and I was totally fine, even though it had very brief moments of gore and death. All in all, you SHOULD watch this, it's going to be considered a classic from now on..
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

:) a really good anime!

This anime really good! I haven't watched ALL of it, but its interesting and cool. It says in the review "there's girls with short skirts" GIRLS IN SHORT SKIRTS?! Are you kidding me?! There's no underwear showing! Sailor moon has a short skirt too!! The series is great, anyways, but it takes a while for madoka to actually become a magical girl. It can make it a bit boring if you're waiting for that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 July 5, 2013

Pretty Good

This is acutally pretty good for a magical girl anime(I love anime). I would recommend this for anyone 12 or older.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGiygas June 29, 2013

Magical Girls, with a twist

Teen, 13 years old Written byKiyokichan December 31, 2012

[SPOILERS] From Kiyokichan

Alright. This is my first review, and it's from a thirteen year old girl. I'm not the most naive of people, and I am a bit more mature. I have the push to type correctly, and to talk seriously in class. With that, I handled this anime fine. Lastly, this review will contain SPOILERS. Read at your own risk. I would recommend a friend or a parent read this and then decide on your own if a child should watch it, so it doesn't ruin the story for them. AGE RATING I rated this for kids twelve and up. Personally I think in today's age, a preteen could watch this with the right mindset. POSITIVE MESSAGE This could be mixed depending on how you look at it. Like the page review, it is true it shows off that a regular life might be better than a supernatural one, by showing death and often tears, trauma, and pain. It, despite it's appearance, is a dark anime. However, at the end, Puella Magi Madoka Magica shows it's true lesson... "Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone." And that is something to hope for, especially in the darkest of times. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS While this anime does have some positive role models, such as Madoka, who tries to never lie and be kind to everyone, and Mami, who tries to save everyone she can, there are also negative role models, such as Homura. Yes, I know she was trying to protect her only friend the whole time, however it's an unhealthy way to handle death, no matter how tragic. Kyoko, the red-headed girl, eats a lot and steals from people. She almost always had a negative mindset till the end. However in the show, while these characters are doing these things the "main role-model," Madoka, is often telling them that they are doing something wrong. VIOLENCE This is probably the biggest thing. If your child cannot handle violence, they should not watch this. Heck, in one of the episodes, a girl is decapitated and then eaten. It's silhouetted, but if you thought about it it would be quite scary. Guns, bombs, time magic, and many other things are used. The biggest problem is where and what they are fighting. In Labyrinths, there is often random cropped photographs moving around, making laughing or strange sounds. It's almost kind of creepy. The witches look quite scary most of the time. Even the happiest one can scare you off. There is also minor blood, and some other dark moments and scary scenes. SEX Alright, this actually isn't a big issue. While girls do have short skirts in this anime, I think the only red flags would be in the ending and in the opening. In one part of the opening, it shows two Madoka's naked (but not graphic, just skin) and being slightly suggestive. Then a Magical Girl costume appears on Madoka, and the other one kisses her on the forehead as if giving her power or a good luck, then that scene ends. Also, in the ending of the story, Homura and Madoka are both naked and floating around somewhere in the middle of space and thought, or something like that. It's not really suggestive, but they are close and Madoka is trying to comfort a crying Homura. Nothing really happens, but still, they are nude, although not graphically. CONSUMERISM I honestly can't think of any consumerism issues here. There isn't much time for these girls to go shopping anyways, and none of the adults seem to obsessed with money or wasting it away. DRINKING, DRUGS, AND SMOKING There are some minor references to drinking... But nothing too bad. That's about it. THE VERDICT Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a great show, although dark, that weaves the character and the storyline into something that really sets it apart from the rest of its genre. While it might be suited for older kids, a kid as young as twelve with the right mindset could watch this show. I definitely recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2016

Don't Be Fooled By The Cutesy Art

I love this show. It was one of my first anime. But I was fooled for a moment…the first two episodes will make you think that this is just like any other magical girl anime, but when the dreadful episode 3 comes around…you know you have been fooled. And even the theme song will fool you. It sounds all cute and happy…until you realize that it is talking about anxiety and fear. Yikes. One other aspect I really like about this show is all the twists and turns. You think the show is about Madoka, but SPOILER ALERT it's actually about Homura and her struggle to protect Madoka. It's not really the violence that makes it different. It's the darkness of the show. This show is very dark, as it mentions Faust a lot. It has its similarities to Faust as well, but with moe anime magical girls. In conclusion, it's a great anime. Just don't be fooled by its seemingly "cute" nature.
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2015

Fantastic Anime, Though not for Kids Under 10

Right off the bat, I'll say that this was a fantastic, well thought out and emotional anime. You can really compare to any character at least through personality. We follow the adventures of Madoka Kaname, who with the help of her friend Sayaka Miki, save a magical creature named Kyubey. After this they meet many new friends. Before this, we meet the new, seemingly perfect student, Homura Akemi. Later, we meet Mami Tomoe, a kind soul who loves to help others, and Kyoko Sakura, who picks fights and swears a lot more than any other character. really any swearing you here comes from Kyoko. Now, the first 2 episodes introduce you to the magical girl world. "Hey, I can grant any wish. In return, you must fight witches." That's vague, isn't it? Well, we see the beauty of it in the first 2 episodes, which may come as boring and light. But later, we learn the dark secrets behind being a magical girl. With violence, the witches try and beat the girls to a pulp. One girl is hung upside down for a few seconds and is clearly in agony, but keeps her cool. A witch even decapitates one girl, but its all shown from a distance and its silhouetted. There's really no gore or major appearances of blood either. Also, there is a scene in which two magical girls fight each other. As for positive messages and role models, Madoka gives positive messages. She's a kind-hearted girl who cares deeply for everyone and everything. She hates when girls fight, and is forced to watch as Sayaka is nearly killed by Kyoko. Not much swearing, consumerism or drinking, though Madoka's mother is shown drinking in scenes. This anime is not at all for young kids. PG is different from G. Someone who saw the trailer and jumped right in with a toddler should be warned: It is not for children under 10-11.