Parent reviews for Riverdale

Dark, dramatic take on Archie comics is campy fun.

Adult Written byMaria R. February 16, 2017

It isn't as inappropriate as people say it is

I have watched Riverdale myself and I have to say 13 and over is definitely the right age group. My daughter and her friends love the show. I have asked my daughter on many occasions if she was frightened by anything in it (she is easily frightened and a big worrier) but she replied 'its not scary at all. this 'body' looks so fake and is not scary at all' . i watched the show to see for myself and she was right, it isn't bad at all. In conclusion, i think the show is suitable for 13+ and really isn't as scary or inappropriate as it is made out to be!
Adult Written byMaximina R. October 8, 2017

Care for Some Statutory Rape Anyone?

I don't consider myself to be uptight or conservative, but I'm surprised that the statutory rape storyline doesn't bother more people? I have an 11-year old and that story line and how it is somewhat normalizes and empathizes with an adult teacher having a relationship with a 15-year old leaves me feeling uncomfortable. If it were a male teacher with a female student, I think this would have caused an uproar, but palatable the other way around?

Parent of a 9 and 16-year-old Written byJules J. September 2, 2017

Negative messages to kids and young teens

This show is VERY sexualized and depicts inappropriate sexual scenes between a Highschool student and teacher. As a healthcare professional who works with teens I found that the show sends very negative messages to teens that they need to display sexual behavior to be accepted, such as the cheerleaders. I recommend parents watch first and decide for themselves whether these are good role models for the future generation...

Adult Written byMoira H. February 16, 2017

Definitely one for pre-teens or young teenagers

I think that this show is perfect for pre-teens and teenagers. 15+? No way. It is not scary as such, as the 'bodies' are unrealistic and obviously fake. This would be a problem on an adult programme but as a show aimed at young teenagers, it makes it more innocent. There is little to no swearing and overall , I would be more than happy to show this to my 13 year old daughter.

Parent Written byJessica S. February 13, 2017

My kids love it

I have three kids one is 10 and I have twins and the ages are six. I let them watch it it is a great show. When they want to watch it I let them watch it under my supervision so they can close their eyes when I tell them to. Overall you should let them watch it. It is a great show

Parent Written byCaro B. December 10, 2017

Watch it with your kids - highly inappropriate scenes for younger viewers

I really recommend parents watch ALL of this with kids younger than age 15. I've just watched a scene where one of the characters is handing out drugs at a party. Everyone present (including Archie) and with the exception of one girl, took the drugs. Afterwards they're seen dancing and having a good time. We NEVER see any negative consequences for the drug taking. I'm absolutely astounded that any parent would let their teen kid watch this. Even to encourage 16 year-olds seems outrageous, frankly. I'm no prude and definitely not conservative. I can only imagine that parents who let their young kids watch this haven't actually watched it themselves, or they really don't care what their kids see.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bysavannah C. July 24, 2017

Not as bad as people make it!

Riverdale, as you probabaly already know, is a Netflix show all teens are obsessing over. Riverdale is the talk these days. I'm 13, and my mom would not let me watch 13 reasons why simply because of the whole reason of the series, suicide. But she did let me watch riverdale. Riverdale is not as bad as everyone seems to make it. Yes, there are 2 sex scenes.. if thats even what you would call it, but it's nothing major. The first one is in the 1st episode in the beggining, where it shows Archie and Mrs. grundy.. in the backseat of her car. It's maybe for 2 seconds and nothing is showed.. just them kissing with no clothes on. The second one is in the last episode towards the end. It shows Betty and Jugghead and Archie and Val, but flips back and forth between the two. Again, nothing shows just them kissing execpt Val and Betty do take there shirts off the reveal there bra, but that's it. Other than that, there is some language, but no worse than the b word. Over all the whole reason is a group of kids trying to solve a murder. I would say if your kid is dying it watch it.. let them and if your hesitate watch it with them and cover there eyes on the parts you don't want them watching.

Written byAnonymous February 10, 2017

NOOOOO! NOT ARCHIE! :'( :'(

This is what happens when you try to make fun Archie stories R rated. Do your eyes and brain a HUGE favor; read the (preferably old) Archie comics or watch the old Archie cartoons.

Adult Written bySadman August 20, 2017

Better than expected but sexual dialogue is an issue

As a big fan of the original Twin Peaks I didn't expect to get a similar vibe from a show based on Archie, but Riverdale delivers. It's a much better show than I expected, with characters that are actually closer to their comic originals than you might think. That said, this isn't for kids as it is a sexy show and some of the scenes and dialogue might make some parents and even teens uncomfortable seeing as it all involves high schoolers. In particular there is an unexpected subplot involving a character - a student - in a sexual relationship with a teacher. Topical? Definitely. And it certainly doesn't treat it with approval. But it could be triggering to people who are concerned about such issues. I've only watched the first few episodes and except for a very quick-edit sex scene (which is mild and certainly nothing to compare with, say, one of the Rhimes series on ABC), and some occasional close-ups of both male and female bodies in skimpy outfits, there shouldn't be too much of concern in that area. Except for the fact that the sex scene is related to the teacher-student relationship spoken about before. There is also a same-sex kiss performed with the intent of titillation (rather than romance), but it's done as a joke. The only area where I feel Riverdale goes over the top and into potentially offensive territory is sexual dialogue. Perhaps to make up for the fact they aren't allowed nudity or explicit sex (I can imagine this show would easily fall into the excesses of cable or streaming were it made for Starz or Netflix), several characters seem to relish in spouting very explicit dialogue. There are no four-letter-words (this is network TV after all) but the first two episodes has an openly gay character speak about the size of a fellow student's "equipment", and there are other references. So from a dialogue standpoint I'd be concerned and perhaps even prepared to answer some awkward questions if young ones are watching. Riverdale probably would be a stronger show if it reigned that aspect in a bit, but that aside, I'm quite surprised at how good it is and I certainly do recommend it for older teen viewers as the story is interesting, the characters are interesting (and several fall into the "great role model" category, though several - including, I have to say, Archie himself - do not). UPDATE: Season 2 has taken a darker turn, but the series remains fascinating and the Twin Peaks comparisons remain apt. In terms of content that might be of concern, however, the season has introduced a drugs angle with a fictional analogue of pot/ecstasy called "jingle-jangle" that most of the main characters partake in at some point; it's not treated in a positive manner or glamorized and there are several scenes of clear peer pressure, and the use by several characters is symbolic of their turning to darkness (just as abstaining is symbolic of trying to stay positive), but just be aware.

Adult Written byBrenda L. April 8, 2017

NOT BAD AT ALL

The show is not bad at all. The "shirtless sex scene in the car" is only on for about one second and no other part of the show is bad at all very little swears and only about three kisses in the whole show. I am very strict about what my 12 and 13-year-old daughters watch and I let them watch this show. Trust me, it is very appropriate.

Adult Written bySparkleLick May 29, 2019

Not suitable for young teens

How could you people think a show that promotes underage drinking, sex with teachers, drug use, murder, lying, and buying illegal guns is ok for young teens? This is why they’re so effed up in the head, shows like this. I think the show is great, but I’m a grown woman who isn’t easily influenced by this kind of material!

Adult Written byAshley J. December 30, 2017

Amazing show but watch with caution

This show definitely talks about sex a lot but most of your children already know about even though you may think that they are innocent souls. Many kids know quite a bit about sex even once they reach 4th grade. It’s a sad but true fact but this show should not be hidden from them because you want them to stay innocent. It’s an amazing show but they do have drugs, slight cussing and some sexual references.
Adult Written byRuby T. November 25, 2017

Recipe for Riverdale

In a large bowl pour a half dozen white, privileged, beautiful teenagers.
Add 1/4 cup each: designer clothes, impeccable hair, and flawless make-up. Pour in 10 lbs. of sensationalized plot. Add 1/8 teaspoon of substance. Mix well and set aside. In a blender combine: 1/4 cup superficiality; 1/2 cup arrogance; 2/3 cup materialism; 2 cups of malice; and 3 cups of anything sexual. Whip at high speed until frothy.
WARNING: Do NOT add wisdom as this will spoil the entire recipe!
Combine the two mixtures and fold in poor adult role models. Pour into a deep, dark, heavy pan. Spread evenly and cast people of color in roles of authority to make the dish more palatable.
Bake for 1 hour in a 475 degree oven.
Cut into thick slices, sprinkle with redemptive moments, and serve to young people whose parents fail to recognize that this dish not only lacks nutritional value, but is bad for young people's hearts.
Adult Written byAlisa_33 December 29, 2018

Very good

This show is awesome I am a pretty mature 12 year old and I have watched things that are worse this show is not very sexualized and is just mostly about a mystery! I Tottaly recommend for people 12 and older!

Parent Written byCatoon K. February 13, 2017

Great for kids

I think it is a bit dark but you can't argue it is Archie. My child is nine and I let him watch it. I saw an episode it was not so mature. The show is great if you like Archie even though it is different

Adult Written byGlenica Smith May 19, 2020

Why are the high schoolers played by adults?!

I'm very confused by this show. I expected to see normal high schoolers doing normal things, but instead I see immature adults having sex and doing drugs. This show is confusing and I don't understand it at all. My Glenica would never!!

Adult Written byKaitlyn B. April 16, 2018

Great Show

Good for preteens and teens. Parents! Let your kids watch this.

Parent Written byJessica S. November 26, 2017

Good Show, Appropriate for most kids.

I have three kids aged between 9 - 14, I let my two oldest watch by themselves, whenever they watch and my youngest is welcome to join in whenever my husband or I are with him. I've seen some reviews say 18+ and I honestly don't see any issues with it. I believe it is appropriate for almost all kids 10+ and maybe a bit younger if you believe they are mature enough and you can watch with them.

Adult Written byLilea rermeg May 11, 2020

Appropriate for mature tweens

I realize there is content in riverdale that isn’t very appropriate, including a teacher-student affair. But I do believe it is appropriate for 13 year olds. If your teen is mature, then there should be no problem.

Adult Written byDoubleCheck May 14, 2019

Nostalgia + teen bait in the 21st century

*The writing: mostly for Adults (pop-culture/literary references from the every decade in the 20th century)
*The acting: so so but improves each season
*The visuals: Interesting mix of old and new

**Concerns: Violence, Murder, Suicide, Occult, Sexual Content, Drugs