All parent member reviews for SciGirls

Adult Written bycourtwork September 12, 2013

Love the content and girl characters, boys not portrayed well

I think this show rocks, but has one minor flaw. My daughter is 7 and loves it. She wishes the show were on more often. The characters are so refreshing; they are just normal, comfortable in their skin, fun-loving girls. It is a welcome contrast to female characters on television and in movies today, portrayed as some combination of: stereo-typically attractive, highly sexualized, one dimensional, bitchy, trying to get a man and/or compete with a woman. These girls have lives, and they are curious about the world. They are not catty to each other (like girls in most of the programs - even in shows like the newer Scooby Doos, Sophia the First and Avatar). They work together and dress and behave like real nice, normal, people, WOW! The topics of the shows are very interesting to my kids (and me). I love to watch this one with them. I have only one complaint about the show, which is in the cartoon part; the boy is portrayed as a complete idiot. Why do the producers have to make the boy an idiot? To me, that demeans the show. The girls in this show shine all on their own, there is no reason to elevate them by degrading the boy character. Lots of little boys like to watch SciGirls too (including my 10 year old boy). This feels like some throw back feminist cheap shot to me - totally unnecessary. We don't need to put the other gender down to elevate our own. Both genders are amazing in their own ways and deserve respect and admiration from the other, in my opinion. Haven't we learned that? Except for this feature, the show is great. I just plainly point out to my kids that they're trying to make the boy dumb, and that no boys I know are really like that, and they agree. I recommend this show and hope they will change the boy character.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykperk February 19, 2013

Inspiring, motivating to tween girls

My eight year-old loves this show and so do her dad and I. We have no problems allowing our 4 year-old to be in the room when it is on, but it doesn't hold her attention, and I doubt it would for kids younger than 7-8 years. The format and filming of the show is similar to a reality show. It follows a group of three or four early-teen girls (different girls in each episode) engaged in a project with a scientific background, from conception to completion. It isn't all labwork or science experiments; the projects center around topics that interest the girls, such as the fashion, the environment, cooking, etc. Each episode features a female adult expert who consults with and mentors the team of girls. There is no narrator. The girls' interactions and progress is filmed and they speak directly into the camera individually, providing their reactions, motivations, etc. I really appreciate the editing and whoever writes and conducts the interviews. The show brings out and only reveals the *best* in the girls and the group. So although the format is like a reality show, it is wonderfully not like reality TV. Each episode features short break-out videos with background on each of the girls. Each girl is able to showcase her room, a bit about herself, her family, etc. This show is inspiring and motivating to my almost nine-year old daughter. She loves all things science, but is just reaching the age when other, more steretypically "girl" interests are popular amongst girls at school and she is searching for what is right for her. She can look up to the older girls in this program and see that she is not alone in her scientific interest.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBoulder Parent March 31, 2013

A Great Show for 7 year old Girl

Finally, a show I can feel go about my 7-8 year old daughter watching!! It is not available on Net Flix, but you can watch whole episodes on the internet. Promotes critical thinking and scientific method, so I am a fan!!! More importantly, my daughter enjoyed it, too.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bystuhlly May 18, 2010

Educator and Parent Written bybmhiltz May 31, 2015
Parent Written byjackie059 May 7, 2015

Pleasantly surprised

My daughter is 7 years old and really suck on animated cartoons that is too young for her. I've been searching for awhile for quality shows I can introduce her to and finally I came across Scigirls and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised that my daughter enjoyed the show considering there's very little animation. Although she does like Wild Kratts, which is another good educational show, which mixes animation with live action, but more animation than Scigirls. But I think that helped her enjoy Scigirls. I'm not too sure if the program is still on air, but thank goodness for Netflix, my daughter is able to watch it and this morning I saw that see watched it on her own, which let me know she truly enjoyed it.