All parent member reviews for Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!

Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

My kid loves Scooby Doo!

My only real problem (and it isn't enough to make my son stop watching) is a fairly high level of sexism in the shows. For example, Fred is constantly giving Daphne grief for being "danger-prone Daphne" whenever she falls into some trap. But he falls into traps as often as she does, and no one says a word to him about it. I know this is pretty much a reflection of the general attitude from the 70's, but if you watch more modern shows, there are more strong and stronger female parts. Even the more recent Scooby shows have less verbal sexism and Daphne and Velma stronger. Otherwise, we love the show. My kid likes more involved plots and he loves spooky stuff, but I refuse to let him watch most of the stuff he would prefer because of violence or bad social situations like drunkenness or smoking. Scooby fits the bill perfectly.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bymamawannaknow April 9, 2010

I just, like, wish Shaggy, like, didn't have to, like, say, "like" all the time... Because now my 5 year old is, like, saying that all the time. Definitely too much for my 3 year old though he tries to convince me otherwise! I do think it provides positive examples of facing one's fears and challenging authority in useful ways.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySuperadult8181 September 16, 2009

Very scary, even for my 12 year old (some episodes). we only watch them during the day, but it is good fun and we love watching classics
Adult Written byRedXJT May 21, 2012

Boring and repetitive

... Sick of this show, I really am. It's always the same story line. Find a mystery where you're hoping there isn't one. Then, accuse the wrong people just because they look evil. Get the right guy after a failed trap in using Scooby and Shaggy as bait, then, use Velma to say who did it and why, BUT ONLY AFTER UNMASKING THEM. ..Please take this show off the air, or cut down on how many scooby doo episodes there ARE.
Parent Written byTallduck August 14, 2015

New Scooby Doo, Sexism of the 50's=Ru-roh, no go.

I used to watch Scooby-Doo as a kid, so I thought it was harmless. Until now. It's changed. Daphne is now love-sick and constantly disappointed in Fred's lack of attention to her. She's more interested in gaining Fred's romantic focus than using her brain, and solving a mystery. Velma is now apparently in love with Scrappy, and rarely uses her smarts. Meanwhile Shaggy is a reluctant boyfriend as he's constantly hiding their relationship, and blows her off at every turn. Finally, today we were watching the beginning of a show where some random female character was describing water as "fatty fat water", and talked about her perfect figure. Really harmful messages to girls who are already bombarded with negative body image standards. That combined with the newly dumbed down female characters made me turn it off permanently.
Adult Written byLowe's man January 31, 2015

appeals to all ages on different levels

While younger children may not understand the mysteries, they'll love the action. Some younger children may initially be scared, but those fears will quickly dissipate since they'll see that the villains are fake, thereby teaching children that ghosts, monsters, etc., don't exist. Older children (and adults) will like and appreciate the mystery. Teamwork and persistence are valued and encouraged. The only problem is the mild sexism with the way Daphne is portrayed. But again Velma makes up for that. We must also remember that the portrayal of Daphne is a reflection of when this series was made (1969-1971). This problem with Daphne's portrayal got corrected in the 1980s. From that point onward she was less trouble-prone, more assertive and more able to make decisions for herself.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 6, 2014

I Love It

I grew up watching this show when they still showed it on cable, it of course has the platform, the Scooby Gang go somewhere, there's a ghost or monster haunting the place, they make a plan to catch who is doing this. It's really good because kids can keep track of it and it does teach some valuable lessons, but it is a great show to grow up on.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byBonkersfan1995 March 21, 2013

Scooby-Doo Is A Must-See Classic

I love Scooby-Doo so much! It is my favorite mystery-solving cartoon! It's awesome!
Parent Written byRoznar July 27, 2012

Part of the childhood

It's a great cartoon show for KIDS, really. Don't miss it! It's a part of your kid's childhood, and your childhood too!
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 27, 2012

Another goody from my youth!

I love this show! I've loved it sinched I was 5! The animation and theme song were pretty good.SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr. Weird September 11, 2010

Raggy.

Good fun. Great Shaggy.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylalindal November 13, 2009

Good show, but some young kids may need you to watch, too

My son loves Scooby Doo and we enjoy being able to share one of the shows we enjoyed as kids with him. It can be a little scary for young kids, so you may want to watch it with them. And for those who are interested in strong female characters, I think Velma offers that. Daphne, not so much. Also, I think that kids like the fact that young people outsmart the adults. Overall, it's good clean fun.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bykaloren November 12, 2009

Great way to have a laugh and relax after the stress of a day at school

Although it may be too scary for some kids, my kids are loving watching an old childhood favorite. I love that there is no sexual content and it still seems grown up to my 8-year-old. Plus, I think she is figuring out how to battle her own nightmare monsters after just afew episodes.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMommy Cris June 25, 2009