Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Sesame Street

Classic show endures changes, but learning content remains.

Adult Written byMikestrong September 10, 2017

Don't brainwash your child with some else's opinion.

Too opinionated.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byStephan H. December 29, 2017

If we are talking about the new sesame street than....... but the older one is a 5 star.

I grew up watching this show ... Most the people have been replaced with characters. They do not focus on numbers and letters like they used to... Its very dissapointing in my opinion. The older sesame street is FANTASTIC teaching toddlers numbers letters and the basics of life being a 2-4 year old. If you have the option (KODI or streaming source or go to library and rent) I suggest getting some of the older ones with the classic characters and real live children interacting with them. It is much much better.

Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byDiana C. February 20, 2017

Very disappointed

I was very upset when I was watching sesame Street today and " orange is the new snack " came on.. I Cosby understand why a children's show would relate to a show life that, that has to do with sex, violence, drugs. It is beyond me that a show that my boys have watched for so long with do this. At the same time they had one of the characters talking about her boyfriend I just am furious that they would tie such a show with a children's show, definitely have to watch what your children are watching even if it's a children's show that has been around for years.. Not happy at all with the writers of this episode.
Adult Written byRecessGymClass August 28, 2016

I haven't watched it in a long time, but...

OK, so Sesame Street has been on the air for almost 47 years now, it came out in 1969. It needs to be cancelled. I grew up watching Sesame Street, it had fun lesson, funny moments, cute characters, everything you want in a children's show. Obviously PBS Kids' flagship show. In 2005, the show went downhill. It is now annoying, boring, and the opposite of how it was back then. The early Elmo's World episodes were good. Ever since 2005, it is just annoying and hard to enjoy. Truly painful to watch. I HATE Abby. She is so annoying. I hate those awful Abby Cadabby's Flying School (or something that) segments. They are so boring. Back then, Sesame Street had COOL cartoon segments, now they have boring cartoon segments, with bad songs. They used to have cute guest starring children on the show. Now these new kids have no talent and should NOT be on TV, at ALL. Bert and Ernie used to be so funny. They were one of my favorite parts of Sesame Street, now they are annoying, and the segments with them are boring. Not nostalgic like the old ones were at all. The only good thing about modern Sesame Street is Cookie Monster. He was my favorite character on the show when I was young, and he still is today. He didn't change a bit. Other than that, modern Sesame Street is a ghost of it's former self. I miss the classics.
Adult Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

ok

it's not that good

Adult Written byrpcvmom April 9, 2008

A few bad examples checker a generally good product.

While the real characters an big bird are sympathetic some of the others are unkind in the name of being funny. Very young kids are succeptible to these bad examples of behavior. Oscar the grouch is mean to people and laughs at their misfortune. Ernie is soumetimes tricking others and laughing about it. Cookie monster (beloved) is focused entirely on cookies. I know the show has done a lot of good, but I think they innclude some humor that's more appropriate for 10 year olds than 2-4 year olds. I'd rather have my daughter watch something else and learn to read with me. Between the lions is a much more appealing show for beginning readers.
Parent Written byTony B. May 19, 2017

A Brilliant, timeless classic

While the show lost much of its old school charm and some of its classic muppets, it's still the best show for children. It teaches them abcs, 123s, how to be kind, sharing, friendship, how to express themselves - everything you could ever want your child to learn and more. My son is 2 & 1/2 and the count is his favorite. He laughs like him, he counts with him,and even dances during "number of the day" it's a show many of us grew up on and it continues to be the one show you can safely leave the room with it on and not worry your child will be exposed to something nasty. I recommend this show to all parents.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byAmber D. March 4, 2017

Amazing

They have letters of the day which is great! Each day is new. The singers are amazing and sing about letters or shapes or anything about that lesson. We are watching it right now lol. Characters are cute, funny, and educational and also entertaining. I think it's a great show for kids

Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015

And the winner is.....

Sesame Street!

Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 19, 2015

A Favourite

When Noggin showed this series at late-afternoon time slots, I couldn't keep away from watching it with my kids! The older episodes (shown as part of Noggin's Sesame Street Unpaved) were great with Ernie and his roommate, a cranky Muppet named Bert. However, these older episodes lack the educational value of shows like "Oobi" simply because the standards have changed over time. Ernie's pessimistic friend Bert has a few lines that wouldn't be allowed in today's shows, such as "You found some poor dingaling, someone so dumb...someone so stupid...that he's going to let you cut his hair?" (from the sketch "Ernie's Barber Shop") and occasional outbursts. The later episodes (showcased in Noggin's 123 Sesame Street) tone down this kind of stuff by including less of Ernie's roommate. Nowadays, since Noggin shut down, I can never watch it as it is only given a degrading timeslot of 4:30 AM on a poor-quality network called "PBS Kids Sprout." Not to mention that the network only airs episodes from seasons 25-present, this is not suitable for such a high-quality programme. I suggest Sesame Workshop restart Noggin or a similar work!

Adult Written byJeffBorgar May 13, 2019

Say No to Elmo

Cookie Monster is an addict and now my daughter always mutters his evil catchphrase “coookie ... coookie” I can’t handle it and I fear for my life.
Adult Written byBuilderman R. May 29, 2017

LOL

LOL

Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 11, and 18+ year old Written byAdrianna R. August 13, 2016

Sesame Street...

With recent episodes talking about austim and tough topics, I am really enjoying letting my 4yo watch this show. I watched this as a kid, and my two older daughters watched this when they were little. When my second daughter was little, she refused to learn numbers and letters. This was a sneaky way to teach her them. I wish I could give it a 14 months and up rating!
Adult Written bymommy02 June 8, 2016

he still loved dancing to it at age 5

Music family. Military family. He mostly watched it in the car traveling from home to Home age 1.5 to 3. At home, the music made him "move" :) and this show gave us one of our most amazing memories, caught on video. Watching the show with him now at age 5.5 for the first time in two+ years, and he is still "moving" to it with me. He did tell me it's boring when we're not dancing. Our almost 1.5 year old "moves" to it too. I'll be sure to get an amazing video of it. Great show!

Adult Written bygoodgirl December 22, 2015

One of my favorite child hood shows.

as a child I loved Sesame Street. Its perfect for the children.

Adult Written bybarneyhater November 30, 2014

good

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Sesame Street

My 2 yr. old daughter loves this show! Not only is it entertaining, but it is VERY educational. Five stars! :)

Educational Value
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytarapayton1 October 20, 2010
Parent of a 12, 14, and 15 year old Written bycashed12 August 18, 2010
Educational fun with the Sesame Street Muppets.,Good choice for ages two and up

Educational Value
Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byesams June 5, 2010

worst seasosesame street through the years

1969-test show and first episode 1970-grover comes 1972-oscar turns green 1978-sesame street christmas 1981-first repeat 1982-tenth aniversary 1986-time for the 2000's 1989-elmos song is created 1992-time for 3000's 1993- 25th anniversary specail 1997-29th season premire 1998-new theme song 2002-new theme song 2002- time for 4000,s 2004- 35th episode specail 2006- abby comes to sesame street 2007-new theme song 2007-murray comes to sesame street u know from 1972 2009-the 40th anniversary