All parent member reviews for Sesame Street

Parent Written byrandomguy222 June 9, 2015

Best educational show for little kids

SUNNY DAYS SINCE THE 60s,that's right if you've never seen sesame street at least once then you should.I don't watch it anymore since I'm now grown up but I still see it with my little members of my family and its very educational for little kids.(I like big bird more than Elmo as a main character) it deals with a lot of stuff like money,hurricanes,finance,business,DEATH(mr.Hoppers death),even an unaired episode about divorce.(old sesame street though touched more life subjects than the new one).It's way better than Barney that teaches kids that life is rainbows and too much junk food is good.or cailou which teaches that to get stuff in life you have to be a jerk and whine.let your kids watch sesame street,nothing inappropriate. The number of the day is 87. The letter of the day is F. Have a good baloney and kids free day.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 19, 2015

A Favourite

When Noggin showed this series at late-afternoon time slots, I couldn't keep away from watching it with my kids! The older episodes (shown as part of Noggin's Sesame Street Unpaved) were great with Ernie and his roommate, a cranky Muppet named Bert. However, these older episodes lack the educational value of shows like "Oobi" simply because the standards have changed over time. Ernie's pessimistic friend Bert has a few lines that wouldn't be allowed in today's shows, such as "You found some poor dingaling, someone so dumb...someone so stupid...that he's going to let you cut his hair?" (from the sketch "Ernie's Barber Shop") and occasional outbursts. The later episodes (showcased in Noggin's 123 Sesame Street) tone down this kind of stuff by including less of Ernie's roommate. Nowadays, since Noggin shut down, I can never watch it as it is only given a degrading timeslot of 4:30 AM on a poor-quality network called "PBS Kids Sprout." Not to mention that the network only airs episodes from seasons 25-present, this is not suitable for such a high-quality programme. I suggest Sesame Workshop restart Noggin or a similar work!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydroleo November 8, 2010

The Street Has Changed

What happened to this show? We rented some of the older episodes from the 1970s to watch with our 2-year-old. They were sweet, peaceful, funny and educational. So we thought we'd tune into the new ones and...wow, things have changed. The show is a lot more hyperactive and abrasive. There's a lot less focus on teaching letters and numbers, and a lot on teaching science and conservation, which seemed a bit beyond the show's younger demographic. Tons of celebrity cameos. Yesterdays bits with Ray Charles and classical musicians and jazz legends has given way to the kind of processed pop music you find all over the radio. I thought Sesame Street was supposed to be an alternative to mainstream commercial children's entertainment, but it seems like nowadays it just wants in the game.
Adult Written byJanH April 9, 2008

Lessons for all ages

The best part of Sesame Street is that it cares about kids of all ages and circumstances. It helps everyone deal with each other and shows the best way to interact with peers and all other ages. It helps children get rid of inhibitions and shows them that it GREAT to be different. You can't find such great content on any commercial network.
Educator Written bysamwise January 16, 2012

Fun for All

Great lessons. Good message. Lovable (maybe sometimes annoying for adults) characters. Great for starting family discussions and activities. Let it spark your family, not become a baby-sitter. Our family loves to watch this together. The musical guests are sometimes very entertaining.
Parent of a 2, 10, 14, and 17 year old Written bySystemOfANintendo December 21, 2010

A wonderful, clever show that not just little kids will love.

Me and my kids all grew up with Sesame Street. When I retire, I hope Sesame Street's still on, so I can watch it daily. It's not just for little kids either. There are plenty of funny jokes for adults. A must-see for any toddler who gets PBS.
Adult Written bybenbarbsmommy April 9, 2008

Classic

This show is a classic and it is a timeless show. The reason it works for me as a parent. It's diversity, educational value, and it does teach while the child is having fun. My son learned most of his speech from this show and it something he looks forward to watch everyday. My daughter is 21 months and she is just as glued to it as my older child. I think it should be required t.v watching for childern in there preschool years. :)
Adult Written byKel77 April 9, 2008

Engaging and educational

I have two children, a 2 year old and a 5 year old. They both love the program. It teaches letters, numbers, social lessons and spanish. I couldn't be more pleased with it's content.
Adult Written byLowe's man December 31, 2013

still teaches a lot

Over the last 45 years SESAME STREET has taught much. Kids have learned a lot while being entertained- and vice versa. If you ask people what they learned from SESAME STREET, you'll get a variety of different answers. As for what I learned, aside from letters, numbers and the beginnings of reading, I'd say that where I gained the most is with attention to detail, as the show put a lot of emphasis on same and different. Maybe that's why I did such an excellent job at the inventory job I had at Lowe's for 6 1/2 years. Management and others said that I was one of the best they'd ever seen at that job. Indeed my audits were almost always A's. As for what else I learned from this show, I learned that a job is a job. In other words, Gordon, a teacher, isn't at the top, and Luis and Maria, who run a repair shop, aren't at the bottom. On Sesame Street, everyone is equal, and all jobs are equal. Since I have Asperger's Syndrome, that means a lot to me. I owe a lot to this show. As for the recent changes, the show isn't what it used to be. But it's still good and has not strayed from its original goal of teaching and entertaining. Elmo is a bit annoying, though. Still, it's very much worth watching. It does and will both teach and entertain. 10/31/15 Now I feel a need to add to my review. It's a shame that the 1 hour version of SESAME STREET will soon no longer air on PBS. Still, 1/2 hour is better than nothing. One segment that I very much hope they keep going forward is Abby's Flying Fairy School. The teacher in this segment, Mrs. Sparklenose, is a great teacher. She's available to Abby and her 2 classmates when they need her, but she wants and expects them to solve as many problems by themselves as possible. A lot of deep, reflective thought here on how to solve the problems and get out of the dilemmas that they're in. (Twinkle-thinking, as it's called there.) This will help kids when they get to school, and throughout life. Abby's Flying Fairy School is the best part of the show. Another good part is SuperGrover 2.0. It teaches kids science and related concepts. For example, in one such episode a squirrel needed something to hold together a shelf for his prized acorn. When SuperGrover saw a screw he didn't know what it was, but the squirrel did. He saw that it could go into the tree and hold the shelf! Now kids will know what a screw is and have an idea of what it's used for. Now for our part. Let us write to Sesame Workshop (aka Children's Television Workshop) and ask that SESAME STREET get restored to its full hour. (I just wrote my letter today. I sent it certified.) There's so much to teach children and so little time to teach it. While 1/2 hour is passable, an hour is better.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 23, 2012

Todays review is brought to you by the letter "A" for AMAZING!

Sesame Street brings back lots of memories! It is very educational,it has positive messages,and there are so many positive role models!
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 January 21, 2012

great for your children!

When i was a child i grew up on this show and i loved it. im happy Pbs still has it on for the newer generation of younger children. espically Big Bird he was the best!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good show

The characters are fun and my kids love the show.
Parent of a 1, 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bycharmsmatuts August 15, 2011

Great for all ages!!!! So Cute!!!!!!

This is a very cute show! This is all puppets talking and teaching little kids early learning skills. Most puppet shows are creepy like Mr. Meaty. This show is not creepy at all. Cute. My daughter can talk now since she is 1 and I ask her questions on what she remembers from Sesame street, like if they would say something like "What is 4+3"? and my son will say 7. And he will answer most questions characters like Elmo would teach my son. Just because this show does stuff that little kids or babies will enjoy doesn't always mean it's only for little kids or babies, I mean, I used to watch this all the time when I was a kid, tween and teen, Well I didn't watch it too much because there were lots of shows I loved, even right now. There are some funny parts like When the cookie monster goes totally crazy over the cookies, Sometimes it would make kids think cookies were healthy which is not true. So they turned him into the Veggie monsters so they can teach kids how important it is to eat healthy foods. That is like one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I mean, Kids would get grossed out sometimes when they have to eat it but I have never laughed harder than this when I have seen somebody going insane over Veggies. When My kids go to school and hang out with their friends, They will always remember how to be a good friend which is what they learned from this show even though my kids 9-14 are too old for some things they already learned at different times instead of watching Sesame Street. It's 50% TV-Y and 50% TV-G. TV-G means this show is for anybody no matter what age. I LOVE IT!!!
Adult Written bytrajedy April 9, 2008

I've loved Sesame Street for years

I watched Sesame Street as a child, and while there are new people and new puppets, the fun and positive messages are still there.
Adult Written byJillsmom April 9, 2008

Great for 2 to 22!

This program continues to be quality television! While my five year old has out-grown Elmo, he continues to be engaged by the rest of the program. Really good stuff!
Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

Great

thoght this does contain some iffy humor and mild comedy violence and some bad attitude its a great show for younger preschoolers. They could be smarter then average when the enter kindergarted. even older kids like this show!
Parent Written bySeamstressMomma May 17, 2016

Still the best!

This was the best kid's show when I was a kid and it's still the best! Even though my two year old doesn't watch it much, she's riveted when it's on. She can say the name of all the characters and it's created her love of the number "eighteen" :)
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015

And the winner is.....

Sesame Street!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMelissaBestMom April 6, 2014

Favourite cartoon

My children adore this cartoon! They can spend lots of time watching it, unfortunately I can`t say the same about study. So I hope that if their favourite heroes speak to them from the screen it will be an excellent combination of entertainment and study. Of course it cannot replace written exercise (check written papers here check this writing service ) Eventually such approach is motivating and suitable in our digital age. I usually try to find some interesting and educating cartoons as it is impossible to avoid watching TV so let`s do it useful too.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 17, 2013

Who cares if parents like it!!!! Teaches my kids sooooo much