Parent reviews for Shimmer and Shine

Shimmer and Shine Poster Image

A new level of stupidity

I cannot express how much I hate this show. It caters to the lowest common denominator of intelligence, cultural awareness, and gender stereotypes not to mention the obvious colonialism and appropriation of Arab and Indian cultures. It makes me bitter and resentful towards nickelodeon for having produced such a piece of garbage. Think of all the beautifully written stories and characters available and they pick up on this? OK so what do I not like? For starters the characters as I’ve already mentioned. The music and sound effects are more of that American in your face no chance to breathe or blink constant stream of information to process. It’s too much. I’ve had to manipulate my desktop browser to block the show from noggin so that it doesn’t appear. And here I thought Dora was annoying.

2 people found this helpful.

Where do I begin

As a brown dude with ties to where this is functionally set I'm appalled at cultural appreciation, the stereotypical mannerisms but mostly the carefree mash of Indian and Persian influences on. genies. The songs and the continuous runs on every song are such a mind numbing stereotype. Let's talk about the best friends.... So she summons them when she needs them, they do her biding (or try to and fail) then when the job is done they are promptly sent back to their bottle? Stinks like slavery. 3 wishes a day? Let's excuse the move from the traditional story around wishes and address what kind of message we are sending kids. Just wish your problems away aye? This show is offensive to say the least.
1 person found this helpful.

Cheap

I’ve only seen a few episodes, but here’s how I feel. The good: The genies make mistakes and fix them in every episode. They sing a little song about how mistakes are okay. The idea would be perfect for my already-perfectionist 3.5 year old. Characters are nice and helpful. The bad: Very flashy, not much substance. I feel like they could have done better. Cute, useless Lisa Frank animal sidekicks are the cherry on top of the flash vs substance point. The boy next door is dumber than a rock and they constantly lie to him. Some reviews are upset about “cultural appropriation” I really don’t feel that way because IMO -they’re genies, pop-fantasy. They’re like the Nokk and the trolls in Frozen I & II. It’s a creative take on a mystical, mythical being. They don't claim to be from any particular country (as far as I know) and we re-imagine legendary beings all the time for tv. I don’t think this show is ruining anybody’s kid, it’s just not good quality. I let my kid watch it once in a while, but if we’re having tv time I try to offer (& push) better programs: blues clues, sesame street, Elena of Avalor is a favorite right now!
1 person found this helpful.

Shimmer and Shine? How 'bout Shudder and Whine?

There are apparently 80-some episodes of this regrettable franchise-masquerading-as-an-acceptable-children's-TV-Show. Therefore, I could find 80-some reasons for banning it from our household. However, it's not worth my time; more importantly, it's not worth your child's time, either. It's mindless fluff, and badly written at that. I'm sure I could find one or two redeeming qualities, but that would make the overall bad-to-good quality score 80-something to 2... Whatever those 2 qualities are, I implore you to have your kid absorb them from an excellent show, of which there are dozens. But... Our 6-year-old and 4-year-old want to watch vapid genies buzz about, inside a spool of cotton candy, no doubt in search of a recognizable, three-dimensional story, created by writers and animators who strive for excellence, and not corporate "success." Harsh? Yes, but it takes so very, very little to raise the creative bar, and not make a paycheck by falling to the bottom of the animated merch heap, apparently with as little effort as possible. Which is what the franchise creators did. We'll let our kids watch it when they have a babysitter, or are at their grandparents. But that's it. Life is too short to waste time on junk. [Note: I picked 12 and up, because I really don't think little kids should be watching this show more than a few times a year...]

some of these reviews are terrible!

“Shimmer and Shine is inspired by the Middle East, because obviously I am Middle Eastern, and as a creator, you always put a lot of yourself in what you do,” said the Iranian-American Charmatz.Jan 21, 2018 Is it even possible to appropriate your own culture? You people seriously need to look up the creator before accusing cultural appropriation. Such a nasty and honestly racist accusation. It’s a great show me and my 3 year old love it! It’s cute, kind of annoying, imaginative, fun, teaches about friendships, kindness, and being selfless. I really don’t understand why people hate this show so much and I wish it was never canceled! The creator is only 33! She is amazing!

Cute and colorful but has drawbacks

So this show is really colorful and has cutesy animals and stuff. My almost 4 year old seems to like it. However other than that there isn’t much to be learned from this show. In fact there is an episode that sort of bothers me where a boy genie named Kaz takes a ziffalon or whatever the griffon-like creature is called because he wants one as a pet. It’s the equivalent of teaching kids that to take a wild animal and keep it as a pet. My child actually knocked down a bird’s nest wanting the babies as a pet because of watching that episode (all the babies died after being knocked down and the mother bird was upset). I try to teach my child to respect nature and this show caused a bit of a back track. Might sound hypocritical of me to complain about this show when I let my child watch Pokémon but in the Shimmer and Shine episode it’s clear that the creature didn’t like being in a strange place. And at least with Pokémon there are plenty of episodes and movies that address the issues of poaching, deforestation, and knowing when to let a Pokémon go so nature can take its course (Bye Bye Butterfree and the Pokémon 4Ever movie comes to mind). Other than the episode where they take the ziffalon out of its habitat to keep it as a pet the show was clearly made to sell glittery stuff. Not too impressed by the show. I haven’t seen season 1 at all so I don’t know if it’s any better like how season 1 of Paw Patrol actually tried to teach kids in the past and didn’t used to have the evil mayor and his kitties. So I can’t speak for the earlier seasons but I will say I’m disappointed with this show. Especially after that animal stunt. Try explaining to your child why the baby birds that they wanted to keep as pets like Kaz did are dead without making them cry because they realized that they killed the babies... She still loves this show but it’s more trouble than it’s worth at least with the one episode...

Calm down

Is this cultural appropriation? Yes. The genies literally dance Bollywood in the intro credits, and when Leah is with them in Zahramay Falls she wears a bindi with her genie costume, etc. It's like Aladdin, only it's worse because this isn't set in India or the Middle East - it's set in America and they just use the fashion/music/stereotypes to create this caricatures of the Indian culture and then call them genies. But outside of that, I don't understand these comments. What "sexy" stuff is happening here?? You're all imagining things. The language is completely appropriate for my 3 year old, there is nothing scary or violent, no "bad" moral lessons. Of course, there aren't really any positive messages or role models either. Its weird that Leah's parents basically don't exist, but it's a cartoon. This show has no educational value. At all. But it's a fine little cartoon. I prefer that my daughter watch Bubble Guppies, Octonauts or Daniel Tiger as they have more substance and are at least somewhat educational. This and Paw Patrol fall into the same category to me - mindless but harmless.

We love this in our house

My daughter has enjoyed watching this programme since she was about 12 months old, now 2 and half. She loves the music and songs, she loves the fun antics they get up to, she loves the different characters and bright scenery. I'm not at all on board with everyone being offended over the 'culture' or lack of cultural education. Nobody in this program speaks with an offensive accent imitating other cultures, there is no mention what so ever of where this may be based on as in country or culture. This is a fictional program about a girl and her 2 best friends who just happen to be genies. There is lots to love about this program and i can absolutely assure you my 2 year old doesnt watch and thing oh they must be imitating indian culture but theyre not doing a great job. She laughs and sings along and dances. Theyre 2 not 22. Parents who have banned this...Well I'm sorry that's just laughable.

dont watch this crap