Parent reviews for Some Assembly Required

Some Assembly Required Poster Image

Just a goofy, lighthearted show.

No, it’s not exactly educational, and it doesn’t have a moral, but it’s a fun, goofy show to have in the background. All of the characters are purposefully unrealistic, and the scenarios are wacky and dramatic. There is a lot of dry humor, but that is just part of the show’s charm. Overall, it is just lighthearted and silly, and fun to play for background noise.

Don’t do it!

This show is so painfully bad. The acting is horrendous and the awful stereotypes abound...dumb jock, ditsy blonde. There is no redeeming value to think of.

Harmful Drivel

For some reason this is on the "Everyone's Watching" list on Netflix, and my son turned it on this morning. We made it 11 minutes into the first episode before we turned it off and I opened an account here to write a review. This show is full of offensive stereotypes that I would never expect to see in a show written this side of 1990. There's the hot dumb blonde girl, the gibberish speaking, bumbling "foreign" cleaning lady (hired because she was "the cutest one"), the effeminate boy into fashion, the nerd, and the big, dumb surfer type. The blonde girl is reading a fashion magazine called "Bimbo", and shrieks "eww!" and throws it when she finds out it's actually a business magazine. All the boys encourage her to wear shorter skirts. And that was literally only in the first 10 minutes. I guess the only positive is that this show spurred a conversation about stereotyping with my 6 year old this morning. Netflix should be ashamed of pushing this backwards, ignorant drivel on our kids.

Funny.

Why such bad reviews?

Creepy images

From what I’ve seen of the show, it’s generally pretty bad, but I’m specifically writing to warn of some very creepy imagery (of a melting Jack-in-the-box toy, followed by a dream about a character with a melting face), in season 1, episode 9, “Snack-In-The-Box”. My kids (5 & 7) were absolutely terrified by it.

We have chosen to not allow this show in our house. Too often, we have heard soft sexual comments.

Poor role models

In a world where children are watching role models on tv, this is a horrible show that contains glorification of sexism and exaggeration of stereotypes, especially for females. Also portrays teens as dumb and shallow. Not the kind of interactions I want my child thinking are normal and good.

It’s a kids show

It’s a really good show it’s about toys so it’s a kids show. And piper is a good role model for the most part being that she is a feminist and thinks women should not be used for their bodies. P Everett Knick knack is also a good role model because he shows kids to follow his dreams like he did with his company

this show is very disappointing to me I thought it would actually be funny and have some sense..but no