Parent reviews for Songland

Positive music competition features fresh writing talent.

Parent of a 11 and 15-year-old Written byAFishFam July 15, 2019

Artistic, educational, fun and hip

This is a reality tv show competition for song-writers. Several song-writers pitch a song to a current music star. They have some big names on from different genres such as Will I Am, Kelsea Ballerini and Meghan Trainor. After the artist has narrowed it down to a few choices, then three experienced music producers work with each of the songwriters to further develop their songs into a final product. This process is so fascinating and honestly amazing to watch as they spin new lyrics and discuss musical rewrites. For aspiring musicians or just music lovers, this adds a new layer to the magic that is music.

What's fantastic is that unlike a lot of musical competitions where you fall in love with an artist and then never hear from them again after the competition or you don't get to hear their music for another year or two, this show offers immediate gratification. At the the end of the episode when the artist has selected the song that they will record, the song is immediately available to download in its final form and you can watch the videos on YouTube (which my daughters did with much zeal).

I rated this for 10 and up only because I am not sure it would hold the attention of younger kids. In my opinion, there's nothing inappropriate for younger viewers. If your younger child is mature enough to be interested, then I would say go for it.

Adult Written byArchy123 July 4, 2019

Its a start

Music needs the public to celebrate the massively difficult process of songwriting and this only starts that process. The 2 step approach is good. First the song than a critique and these coaches have good suggestions. BUT the songs are all too poppy with the same tired grooves and cliche's. Where's the brilliant slow song? Where's anything in 3/4 or 6/8 or celebrating the long history of country or blues or jazz . The producers are playing it way too safe. It's in the same rut as the "Disco" period. None of this simple minded pablum will make it to greatness and the show will die out in it's sameness. Experiment take some chances and you may have a long hit.