Parent reviews for South Park

Outrageous, shocking humor carries a message.

Adult Written byarealhumanwithabrain September 7, 2013

This is an adult cartoon.

So south park has everything bad and awful it does have messages, but this show is rated 18 plus for a reason, now in all honestly when i was 9-10 i did watch south park behind my moms back and when she found out she wasn't really mad. I didn't do drugs, have sex under age, swear at my mother or anything bad, but i think it takes a certain kind of kid to watch this kind of a shocking and sexual show and just keep it a show and not bring it into their life. Remember the ginger kid thing? From south park? All the kids going around attacking orange haired people and kids. I watched that laughed and moved on, you can't take a joke and make it real. When the joke was more on cartman than the gingers.

Anyway again, you have to have a very stable child for this.

Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... July 6, 2009

Spot on humor, and suprisingly (some) good messages about our Society.

Its what every parent dreads hearing. Their kids begging, on their knees, saying "Can we watch South Park?". I remember asking this many times over, but now that I have my own access to the shows, and have seen some with my friends, I'm always coming back for more. Yes parents, I know how violent and sexually suggestive it can be, but some of the episodes really show how stupid or idiotic our own society can be at times, and make us drop-dead laughing about it. As far as I feel, if your child is over the age of 12, and he is sure that he has the maturity to, go ahead and let him watch some episodes. He probably will find a way around you anyway just like I did. I do admit the blood and gore is very intense in some episodes, but it's involving cartoons, and I've seen some stuff on kids show's like Spongebob that nearly have the same level of violence as South Park (I've seen an episode where Squidward looses his entire toe nail in a painful way, leaving a bloody mess as it rips off, Spongebob gets sharp cleats stuck in someone's eyes, and he pokes squidward's heart and makes it squirt blood as he preforms "surgery").

Parent of a 6, 9, and 15-year-old Written byUSMCSergeant December 3, 2013

A Masterful Moral Abyss - Not Teen-Friendly Despite the Reviews Here

I am positively stunned that anyone who is concerned about children's exposure to inappropriate media might suggest that South Park could possibly be watchable for any children other than the most mature late teens. (I think we have a lot of kids posing as adults on this site.) It is true that South Park is positively brilliant at times. The satire and wit is often extremely clever, and the show's rebellious undercurrent is fertile ground for the development of critical thinking skills. However, the show takes pride in its unparalleled ability to shock, disgust, and offend. The sexual content, language, and violence in this series are nearly in a class of their own. If you are attempting to raise children in a Christian household, you should also know that Christianity (along with virtually every other major religion) will be mocked and derided at times by the show.

I am not convinced that any non-adult should watch South Park, though I suppose one might make the case that an extremely mature 16 or 17 year old could handle the material (with guidance, of course). Anyone thinking of allowing their child to watch this show absolutely MUST watch the show several times first in order to know what they are letting their children getting into. Several episodes should be viewed, as the offensiveness of the content can fluctuate from one to another.

I have a reasonably responsible 15 year old son (good kid, honor roll student, etc), and there is absolutely no way that I would allow him to watch South Park. My wife and I are not particularly uptight - we do let him watch many adult-oriented things (a wide variety of R-rated movies, Seinfeld (has more innuendo than you remember), etc), but South Park is definitely off the table.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written byMr. Boxbox September 23, 2009
great show. content can range from a few swear words to explicit graphic raunchy humor. it really depends what episode you are watching.

Adult Written byShann January 16, 2012

Fine for most 12+

I used to watch south park with friends when I was 12. The language, sexual references, etc. was nothing new to me or friends, and didn't effect me in any negative way. Tweens are fairly savvy these days. I would allow a 12-year-old to watch South Park. The show doesn't have great morals but it won't have an effect on teens unless they're particularly impressionable and dim. Perhaps watch it with your teen and bring up any issues with the content, to hear their thoughts if you're worried.
Adult Written bygraihagh k. April 2, 2018

It's explicit for a reason.

I am a mother to a fourteen year old girl. When she first asked if she could watch it I checked the show out to see what it was about and was shocked by the amount of crude language, slurs and sexual references. After watching another episode, I realised why the show was using such offensive and hard hitting stuff. South Park is trying to show the extremities of society by using extreme language, etc. I try tpo think of it like a dystopian future. Dystopian books and films show what society could turn to if we carry on the way we are going. They do this by exaggerating the problems we have in the world today. I believe South Park is trying to do the same. So I think as long as you have explained this to your teenager and they understand that these are not people to look up to, then you should be fine

Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written byc.lundy July 31, 2009

AWFUL

I just realised my nine year old was watching this on a regular basis, I thought it was ok because it was a cartoon and then I saw some of it. It is AWFUL and not appropriate for children.

Adult Written bysouthparkfan15 April 9, 2008

Wow.

This is just awsome, just a great show.
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byMovieman456 June 13, 2020
Better than family guy and bobs burgers this show is so funny
Adult Written byHailo C. May 31, 2020

South Park review

Suggested MPAA Rating: R for some borderline NC-17 content; frequent discriminatory jokes throughout with language, violence and adult content.

Parent Written bycheeky1000 March 30, 2019

NOT FOR KIDS

This show is full of racism, antisemitism, horrible messages, and harsh language, and it is inappropriate for anyone under the age of 18.

The show tries too hard to stick sex into everything to make its jokes funny, and the humor doesn't compare with its competitors. If you want a good raunchy cartoon, stick with Family Guy or American Dad, and skip South Park. This is a lousy show.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

Comedy Central's most famous cartoon!

Should be rated R for strong bloody violence and gore, pervasive language, crude/sexual humor, graphic nudity and drug content (if it were a movie).

Adult Written bypstraker May 21, 2020

ONLY FOR ONE EPISODE - 'Tsst' Season 10, episode 7

There are two audible swearwords. A**hole and s**t

The episode, is about how Cesar Milan, the 'Dog Whisperer' is the only person who can control Eric Carmen. The message is very clear, do not over indulge your children, it will spoil them.

Not only was the message excellent, by they thought it was hilarious.

Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15-year-old Written bycharmsmatuts February 2, 2012

Best show Ever!

Seriously, I love south park. I am a huge fan of it. Sorry to be rude but Its kinda cute. People who Give this 3-1 stars are just begging to be destroyed.

Adult Written byshootingstar July 30, 2009
very funny but very crude language

Adult Written bymurray10 January 21, 2021

Garbage, watch family guy instead

There's not one thing good about this horrible show, it's the worst show on air. If you want a show that can still be funny with some crude jokes, but with tons of heart and soul put into it, family guy is superior is every way shape AND form

Adult Written byAayan R. January 7, 2018

It’s really good but not for kids

It’s funny with cursing and violence and sexy but it’s not for kids stop funny it’s rated TV MA or TV 14 it’s mainly rated MA it’s so better then family guy it’s the best show on Comedy Central and Hulu and other stuff kids should never watch South Park if you play a South Park episode it well say it’s rated tv MA it’s a warning for adults only

Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written bymichaeljacksonfan January 20, 2013

Don't watch it.

South Park is NOT ok for your kids.It is about four young boys (Eric,Kyle,Stan,and Kenny) who do crazy and bad things.

Adult Written byLleayn91 May 3, 2011

Hilarious

It surprises me that parents still feel like cartoons are only aimed towards children. But anyway...

This show comments on basically every social issue you can think of. Because it does it in a crude way, a lot of people don't understand that, while it is crude humor, it has an intelligent message that you can enjoy even if you're not interested in said social issues or political issues. As far as the portrayals of Jesus and the Devil, and the comments I've seen about it, that's no reason to put off a show. Not everyone is Christian, and there's no reason you can't enjoy the show even if you are. I consider myself to be a Christian, but still love this show.
Parent of a 15-year-old Written bymrpoo October 2, 2010

not for kids

Too racist and sex and bad language