All parent member reviews for South Park

Parent of a 15 year old Written byPumpkin pie3 November 23, 2009

South park

I am a Christian dad of a 12 year old boy and as long as you show your kids that they are not role models then I don't see anyharm in letting my kid watch it but I told him that if he starts acting like them then it's gone but it hasent effected him so maybe this wiill help you try to make a decision of your kids want to watch it
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMr. Boxbox September 23, 2009
great show. content can range from a few swear words to explicit graphic raunchy humor. it really depends what episode you are watching.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... July 6, 2009

Spot on humor, and suprisingly (some) good messages about our Society.

Its what every parent dreads hearing. Their kids begging, on their knees, saying "Can we watch South Park?". I remember asking this many times over, but now that I have my own access to the shows, and have seen some with my friends, I'm always coming back for more. Yes parents, I know how violent and sexually suggestive it can be, but some of the episodes really show how stupid or idiotic our own society can be at times, and make us drop-dead laughing about it. As far as I feel, if your child is over the age of 12, and he is sure that he has the maturity to, go ahead and let him watch some episodes. He probably will find a way around you anyway just like I did. I do admit the blood and gore is very intense in some episodes, but it's involving cartoons, and I've seen some stuff on kids show's like Spongebob that nearly have the same level of violence as South Park (I've seen an episode where Squidward looses his entire toe nail in a painful way, leaving a bloody mess as it rips off, Spongebob gets sharp cleats stuck in someone's eyes, and he pokes squidward's heart and makes it squirt blood as he preforms "surgery").
Adult Written byLleayn91 May 3, 2011

Hilarious

It surprises me that parents still feel like cartoons are only aimed towards children. But anyway... This show comments on basically every social issue you can think of. Because it does it in a crude way, a lot of people don't understand that, while it is crude humor, it has an intelligent message that you can enjoy even if you're not interested in said social issues or political issues. As far as the portrayals of Jesus and the Devil, and the comments I've seen about it, that's no reason to put off a show. Not everyone is Christian, and there's no reason you can't enjoy the show even if you are. I consider myself to be a Christian, but still love this show.
Parent Written byarealhumanwithabrain September 7, 2013

This is an adult cartoon.

So south park has everything bad and awful it does have messages, but this show is rated 18 plus for a reason, now in all honestly when i was 9-10 i did watch south park behind my moms back and when she found out she wasn't really mad. I didn't do drugs, have sex under age, swear at my mother or anything bad, but i think it takes a certain kind of kid to watch this kind of a shocking and sexual show and just keep it a show and not bring it into their life. Remember the ginger kid thing? From south park? All the kids going around attacking orange haired people and kids. I watched that laughed and moved on, you can't take a joke and make it real. When the joke was more on cartman than the gingers. Anyway again, you have to have a very stable child for this.
Adult Written bywallaceson August 24, 2010

FOR KIDS 10 AND OVER

I LOVE THIS SHOW IT'S MY FAVORITE
Adult Written byUrgay July 12, 2010

Great For Any Age

this show is good for any age-child, very appropriate, positive messages, moral values.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byc.lundy July 31, 2009

AWFUL

I just realised my nine year old was watching this on a regular basis, I thought it was ok because it was a cartoon and then I saw some of it. It is AWFUL and not appropriate for children.
Adult Written byperfectsense April 15, 2011
Parent Written bymike334 March 20, 2012

South Park Review

Parents, this is a very fun show for teens and even young adults. However, it has some very explicit sexual content and strong vulgar language (mostly the later episodes). There is not as much explicit content in the earlier seasons. Seasons 1-4 are iffy for 14+, and seasons 5-12 are iffy for 16+. Even in seasons 1-4 there were still some episodes that went over the top. But, seasons 5-12 went really over the top. Like the episode from season 9 called "Erection day" was extremely expicit. I suggest your child should be at least 13+ or 14+ before watching any episode.
Parent Written byKeikoMamma10 November 18, 2011

Humor, Yes. For everyone, No.

As an adult I love this show. I actually learned a lot because of the show. For example, things or jokes referenced in the show that I didn't "get" lead me to google where I in turn learned something new. That said, the show should not be watched by children who are still developing a sense of what is socially acceptable and what isn't. If you child knows not to act like Cartman, even though he is "funny", then you might give an episode a try. Not the show if you are easily offended. South Park makes fun of everything and everyone.
Adult Written byage 10+ October 16, 2011

fine for age 11+

Now I've only ever watched one episode of this and it was HILARIOUS! Despite the TV-MA rating, I think that it's fine to let your kids watch it if they are age 11+.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byComedyReviewerF... August 20, 2010

10 plus can watch

Great show. 10 and up can watch. Good episodes: Volcano Asspen
Parent of a 6, 9, and 15 year old Written byUSMCSergeant December 3, 2013

A Masterful Moral Abyss - Not Teen-Friendly Despite the Reviews Here

I am positively stunned that anyone who is concerned about children's exposure to inappropriate media might suggest that South Park could possibly be watchable for any children other than the most mature late teens. (I think we have a lot of kids posing as adults on this site.) It is true that South Park is positively brilliant at times. The satire and wit is often extremely clever, and the show's rebellious undercurrent is fertile ground for the development of critical thinking skills. However, the show takes pride in its unparalleled ability to shock, disgust, and offend. The sexual content, language, and violence in this series are nearly in a class of their own. If you are attempting to raise children in a Christian household, you should also know that Christianity (along with virtually every other major religion) will be mocked and derided at times by the show. I am not convinced that any non-adult should watch South Park, though I suppose one might make the case that an extremely mature 16 or 17 year old could handle the material (with guidance, of course). Anyone thinking of allowing their child to watch this show absolutely MUST watch the show several times first in order to know what they are letting their children getting into. Several episodes should be viewed, as the offensiveness of the content can fluctuate from one to another. I have a reasonably responsible 15 year old son (good kid, honor roll student, etc), and there is absolutely no way that I would allow him to watch South Park. My wife and I are not particularly uptight - we do let him watch many adult-oriented things (a wide variety of R-rated movies, Seinfeld (has more innuendo than you remember), etc), but South Park is definitely off the table.
Adult Written byShann January 16, 2012

Fine for most 12+

I used to watch south park with friends when I was 12. The language, sexual references, etc. was nothing new to me or friends, and didn't effect me in any negative way. Tweens are fairly savvy these days. I would allow a 12-year-old to watch South Park. The show doesn't have great morals but it won't have an effect on teens unless they're particularly impressionable and dim. Perhaps watch it with your teen and bring up any issues with the content, to hear their thoughts if you're worried.
Parent Written byMr. Mario August 17, 2012

South Park is worse than Family Guy but not that bad

Mature 12 year olds. Besides that South Park is for 13 and up.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypatrick eats kyle August 3, 2010
its da bomb
Adult Written bytalfonso May 21, 2009

Perfect for Most Older Teens!

It's a really funny animated sitcom, and if older teens don't mind the slurs, swearing and more, then this show is a must-see!
Adult Written bysouthparkfan15 April 9, 2008

Wow.

This is just awsome, just a great show.
Parent Written byGolan Trevize October 28, 2011

South Park breaks my heart

My only reaction to South Park is that it breaks my heart. Comedy has always tackled issues that serious literature wouldn't dare: in this case racism, sexism, gay rights, human rights, celebrities, and more. But although South Park often has very good messages, those messages are buried under layer after layer of potty humor. Erase the scatology and you get very good comedy, but unfortunately kids only see the fart jokes and racist slurs. Its creators are so talented, and yet they thoroughly destroy their own work. What a waste.