Parent reviews for Spirit Riding Free

Courage, adventure, and a great role model in sweet series.

Parent Written byJoe H. September 11, 2017

Season 2 Final Episode is Not Age Appropriate

Cliffhangers can be fun for adults. It can be exciting not knowing if the main character will be ok and adults can wait for months for powerful emotional resolution. My nine year loved this series. The last episode of season 2 made her cry. A lot. That is Not cool for an emotionally developing person. Magenta never got kipnapped at the end of a season of Blue's Clues. Odd Squad does not end a season by destroying headquarters. Seriously, DO Not watch the last episode of Season 2 with anyone less than 16 years old until season 3 comes out. My 3 year old loved this show. I am so happy that my 9 year old watched the end of season 2 when her little sister was not home. This level of emotional distress is Not ok for a show aimed at little kids.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byJuliet M. May 8, 2017

Parent Written byTina G. September 19, 2017

Very sensitive 4yo. Great show, minus a few small issues.

Spirit Riding Free is a great show for young kids**, older kids, and adults! I've read a lot of reviews from adults complaining about this show. But most of those people don't have kids, and are just reviewing it from their point of view and how it "isn't true to the original movie". It's a new show for a new generation of children, and it's very cute. Some of the kids are kind of mean to each other, so I am sure to just reinforce, "That doesn't seem like the nicest thing does it?" or "Goodness, she is being naughty!" I also don't like that the big girls shoo away Snips. Kids should be encouraged to include younger siblings, not be mean to them. **There are a few episodes we skip. "Lucky and the Mysterious Map" due to a skeleton at the beginning of the episode, and it's suspenseful and spooky. "Lucky and the Harvest Hunt" is another. I've only seen the first 2 minutes due to a scary story being told and a scary pumpkin guy being shown. And we will also skip "Lucky and the Price of Freedom" until season 3 comes out and we can resolve what happens with Spirit. It's too sad at the end, but once there is a resolution, I'm sure we will watch it again without a problem. :) Overall, it's a great show for horse lovers (like myself and my 2 girls), but there are a few scary parts in the episodes mentioned above.

Adult Written bybathoric95. December 22, 2017

It was disappointing to watch

If you were a fan of the original Dreamworks movie, you will not be a fan of the show. The show is basically a poorly animated rip off. The biggest thing that irks me is the animation. Even my younger relatives have asked why things look so blocky. It would of passed in the early 2000s but it's absolutely horrendous. My next biggest annoyance is the fact that nothing stays true to the time period, even though they tried to heavily influence it being set in western USA during colonization. It does not dabble into any of the issues during the time period like the description says. There is influence of modern technology which didn't exsist then. It's very odd. The show is 100% a rip off of the movie. It's taken a hour and half movie into three series of repetitive garbage that honestly has no value other than possibly entertaining your equine loving child. The main characters have no personality or substance, you have an emotionally troubled teen who rebels against her parents, a passivist, and a passive aggressive manipulator being the main characters. Was truly upsetting to see Dreamworks drop the ball so hard on this one.
Adult Written byRebecca G. November 25, 2017

Watch with caution

I am 23 years old and while I don't have a child my mom tells me she adamantly would not let me watch Spirit Riding Free till I was at least 15. I don't blame her in the slightest in fact I agree. Season 3 picked up right where season 2 left off with Spirit self harming to break loose from a corral which is typical behavior for a wild horse. However once he is free he begins journeying back to Lucky and is dehydrated and hungry. He collapses several t times and has some nasty falls. He eventually is aided by a young native American boy before reuniting with lucky. The last episode begins with a foal and his mother attacked however the attack is not on screen. When we next see the foal Pru's father then says the mother died. Lucky let's Spirit go check on his herd. He is then attacked by the same mountain lion and it is show on screen with cuts to the PALS horses and the foal or Lucky and her Aunt before Lucky runs off to save Spirit. Both end up saved by her Aunt but Spirit collapses in the town and the season closes with him regaining consciousness. Please watch with caution.

Adult Written byAshley R. September 16, 2017

If you own horses don't let your kids watch.

I gave season 1 a HUGE slide because I love horses and know for a fact that Spirit Sr would be rolling in his grave if he knew what his son was doing. I understand this is a kid show, and I'm okay with that; but the MOVIE was more realistic than this series. Season 2, I'm tearing apart after watching that one episode with Lucky after Ashe tried standing in Spirit and fell off BLACKING OUT and waking up with blurry vision. It is always good to get back up in the saddle, but the fact that Lucky suffered no injury and showed little to no pain is what concerns me. She fell off three other times and again no injury, no sign that she had a head injury. And then the next day she successfully stood up on the horse. I fear that children who have horses will try this and then when they get injured they will blame the tv show. Netflix NEEDS to go back to the original spirit and study their behavior and stuff. Especially since Spirit is able to go back and forth from Lucky to his herd. In reality, another stallion would have taken his herd, or the lead mare would have kicked him out for abandonment… I think. More likely another stallion would have stolen his mares. Spirit Sr. was taken from the herd, and he was just lucky no other stallion took the mares. He also forced the Lacota to earn his respect (or rather Rain did all the work there) and then eventually ride him. But that took time. This version of Spirit was ridden successfully within a day. Just, no.

Parent Written byMelissa B. December 7, 2017

Completely unrealistic

I put this on for my children as I loved the original Spirit. This is the most unrealistic show I've ever seen. Completely inaccurate historically. The "society" of the town in the show is completely unrealistic to the time as is the dress of the characters. There's enough inaccuracy being taught in this country, I don't need to add to it.
Adult Written byAlexis C. May 7, 2017

Horses My Dream Pet

This show has giving me so much what I love about horses. It even shows a wild horse can be tame if they have someone who truly loves them. It takes time and patience to adjust to new things around you. But with good friends a new place to live is not so bad. The bond between Lucky and Spirit is truly what love really is.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byAkyaa M. November 3, 2017

For Horse Lovers

I definitely didn't like the dialogue in on this show but my son who is 3 watched every episode and liked the show for some reason I do not know. It is unlike the other shows he watches and it's definitely skewed towards a female viewer. Some of the girls are petty, dramatic and self-absorbed. But, horses.
Adult Written byMiranda B. March 19, 2018

UNREALISTIC

Seriously, it's unrealistic. Your kid watches this and they're going to immediately think that after 1 SINGLE DAY that they're going to be able to do whatever they want with a horse. Even worse, they're going to think that they can do ANYTHING with an UNTAMED horse. Are parents really that dull? If you let your kid, no matter how much they loved horses, watch this show, keep them the hell away from horses so they or the horse don't end up hurt. Because then, all of you ignorant parents are going to be blaming the TV show when in all reality, it's your fault for not being more realistic about the nature of horses.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byTaylor R. September 27, 2017

Perfect morally appropriate for young girls!

Spirit is a great show for girls a little too young for preteen shows and a little too old for Sofia the First. Spirit is a show about a young girl who moves to a new town from the big city. She is learning how to make new friends and be a good friend. My 8 year old is very happy with this option and so am I!
Adult Written byHarrison S. May 23, 2017

Great series!! My 5 year old loves it

Growing up in Texas it's nice to see a family kids show about kids growing up with horses. I have 2 daughters and grew up with 3 horses. Nice to see a show that teaches much much more than any other show I've recently watched with my 3 year old and 5 year old

Parent Written bydominick C. June 15, 2018

Not a good role model for kids at any age.

I watch TV with my daughter to ensure she is learning good messages. Sesame Street and Sophia are great shows to help parents instill good values and moral into our kids. But this show definitely does not, Lucky the main character is constantly running away from her family and doing things to endanger herself, her friends and family. She is constantly being disrespectful to her family and her character shows no growth in each season, she does not learn from her past mistakes. I was hoping in some progression in her character, but Season 5 starts with her running away from home. My daughter will no longer be watching this show and I will be emailing Netflix and DreamWorks.
Adult Written byRae H. March 28, 2018

Upset

I was watching the TV show while babysitting and the kids were just disappointed with it. The have seen and watched the movie version and they loved that there was going to be a TV show. Then they turned on the first episode and was just disappointed.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byKelly D. September 21, 2017

Love this show!

Girl power is the motto! I don't understand some of the negative feedback based on the movie. It was a movie and it's obvious those haters have never watched a single episode !! This is a fresh, funny and heartfelt show that teaches girls of all races to stand up, be strong and care for their friends and animals. Snips is everyones nightmare but you love him anyway! The show is well written and my daughter loves it. We've watched them over and over. I just wish netflix would release more than 6 episodes at a time. Dreamworks has a gem.

Adult Written byAimee O. August 9, 2017

fantastic

I am so pleased with this show as it is very entertaining for not only my girls but for me as well! I just think the story line is wonderful and the characters are very good role models. There are not very many horsie shows out there and I just love this one. I really really hope Netflix keeps renewing it!

Parent Written byAng M. June 10, 2018

Loved it at first, then such bad choices

By episode five the kids repeatedly lie to parents, take risky chances, sneak out of the house, and even stealing. No way. I loved it at first, but I am done.

Adult Written byDanielle J. November 21, 2017

Excellent Story

As a huge fan of the incredible work of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and a babysitter who has had to watch things ranging from Sesame Street to the Amazing world of Gumball, I wanted to watch this. Now I can tell you right now that this has little to no feel of the original movie it comes from- it has a bit of Spirit's "spirited" personality, but that's where things end. But, even without that connection, it's an adorable and fun filled show. It's better than most due to its ability to teach lessons while actually changing up what happens, it isn't a repetitive story. All in all, an excellent story, that can keep an 18 year old wanting to see more. (Also, the theme song really gets you pumped)

Uncle Written byJoseph B. October 30, 2017
It’s a unique family animated Netflix production. It’s fun to watch and I hope they make more episodes. Also every character has there very fun personality and has a beautiful well designed setting with very creative and cute looking characters. Also every episode has a well thought out story to show.

Parent Written byL F August 17, 2018

Season 6 now has "romance" (kissing)

This is a show that my 7yr old likes to watch and I've been okay with it. While there are some parts I don't love, like the mayor's daughter and her attitude, Lucky running away, etc. My daughter was so excited that season 6 just came out and I was very disappointed to see that in episode four there is a boy that Lucky "likes". At the end of the episode they kiss. In episode 5 there is some sort of boys club where they steal a necklace. I'm bummed that this is no longer appropriate and it's yet another show I'm going to have to tell her she can't watch anymore.