Parent reviews for Squid Game

Squid Game Poster Image

16+

I personally really liked it as a 19-year old, but i definitely don’t think it’s for kids. I know for a fact that if i was still 13, i would’ve watched it at school with friends and i would’ve been fine i think but i don’t see a point of kids seeing this much graphic violence. Some parents and kids reviews saying it’s 10-12+ make me kinda sad, i would not let a kid that young watch it, even if they are ’mature’ this kind of violence and dehumanization still affects your brain in a way or another, especially in kids whose brains are developing in a very important way at that age. 16-18+ in my opinion.

8 people found this helpful.

Disgusting

Full of extreme violence and gore. All the characters are just plain evil. I couldn’t get past the 3rd episode. Traumatized me. Please stay away from this.

6 people found this helpful.

Threats to children

I wish this show would be banned, My 7 year old granddaughter had two older boys threaten her at school to kill her, When we investigated the situations and ask the two boys. They said that their parents let them watch it and They were dared to go and threaten someone to kill them and make it so real that the person would believe it. Even if you make it for older people, some people are NOT responsiable enough to keep kids away from it. These boys were around 8 to 10 years old. My granddaughter is now traumatised because of this show.

2 people found this helpful.

Not for kids

It is so bad for kids it has s*x and other bad stuff.

Squid game

Parents need to know that squid game KIDS CANT WATCH there is to much of curse words like f**k s**t and d**k and the is a scene that will have nudity and a scene of s*x and there is too much of violence such as gun shooting eye balls taking and lungs and heart it is just NASTY

i honestly dont know

i really dont know what bad stuff is in here because i watched it on vidangel. but based on the cover it looks preety violent.

1 person found this helpful.

Alarmingly violent, hopeless, dystopian, and possibly anxiety-triggering

The problem here isn't just the mindless violence -- and the desensitization and loss of human empathy that it contributes to -- but the alarmingly hopeless moral positions in which the characters find themselves. That there is blood and gore splashed liberally across every scene is only the beginning. The rest is the horrific, animal brutality that is imposed upon the characters in the name of survival. For example, in episode 4, players are pitted against each other in teams playing tug of war -- only they're playing it on platform raised high in the air. The rope dangles over an abyss, which is between the two teams, and the goal of the game is to pull the other team off the ledge. Once a team has fallen, a guillotine drops down and cuts the rope, plunging the members of the losing team to their death. There is a lot of careful cinematography here focusing on the faces and emotions of the losing team as they realize that they will not survive the game. It is gut-wrenching to watch then, not only because of the gore, but because of the "Faces of Death" attempt at audience titillation as well. (And a disgusting comment on our society that this is where we find our entertainment these days.) While the "game" here is horrific enough in itself, many children (and others who are prone to asking "what if" and "why" questions) may try to hypothetically place themselves into some of the moral dilemmas posed by this series, which could be extremely triggering and upsetting. Weirdly, also, I thought I had Netflix set up to block it, and yet my child was still able to access it from her phone. (I didn't block it, though, until after I realized what it was, at which point, she'd already streamed the whole series. Lesson learned.) This is not, as promoted, a smart commentary on capitalism, or greed, or any other social aspect of modern society. (For that, try reading Erich Fromm instead.) It is a far extreme presentation of human desperation, Lord-of-the-Flies-style, rated TV-MA and with multiple masked characters with guns. It's etched in my mind now, too, a new ugly space that won't go away. I wish I'd never seen any of it, and strongly discourage it for children.

1 person found this helpful.

Over-hyped, contrived and much too violent

This show should be avoided by all minors. First off, there's the shocking level of violence, with a body count well in excess of any other movie I have seen, and the camera never misses an opportunity to revel in the gore and horror. Next, there is the relentless sadism and cruelty, where a military efficiency is applied to the observation of the game's callous rules. The flimsy attempts to justify all of this on the basis of a satire on capitalist greed just does not wash. "The Running Man" does a much better job with this sort of storyline, much more efficiently, and with a much lower body count. On top of this, most of the characters are shallow stereotypes and their backstories unoriginal and derivative. Overall I have very little to recommend this series.

Stupid 1000+

Just death violence and sex

1 person found this helpful.
This show is very entertaining and an effective commentary on debt culture and how it can render feelings of hopelessness. However, the positive social commentary will go over the heads of children, and the graphic violence is extreme. The show is highly entertaining and bingeworthy, but children won’t really understand the messages about the exploitative nature of debt and how it can make people desperate. The incorporation of children’s games will draw in younger viewers, exposing them to scenes of graphic death and mutilation, but I doubt that they will pick up on the show’s deeper message. For adults only.