Parent and Kid Reviews on

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 6 parent reviews

Sort by:

The most thought-provoking of the "Star Trek" series, with three-dimensional characters

I've been a big fan of the original "Star Trek" series and "Star Trek: The Next Generation," but when "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" first came out, I thought it was just okay. The first season was a bit slow, and while things picked up a bit in season 2, it wasn't until near the end of season 3 that the set-up started to pay dividends. By season 4, the show hit its stride and maintained a consistently high quality to the end, which is bittersweet but perfect. What makes "DS9" so outstanding is that it was the first "Star Trek" series to be free of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's edict that there be no interpersonal conflict among humans in the 22nd/23rd century. The people (humans and otherwise) in "DS9" are much more real than the archetypes who populate the original series and "Next Gen." The kind of themes that "DS9" explores include heroism and cowardice under fire; the use of asymmetric terrorism to turn a society against itself; labor unions versus capitalists (really); the ethics of genocide to win an all-out intergalactic war; justice versus revenge; and others. If this makes the show sound deep, well, it often was. At the same time, "DS9" knows how to have a good time, and there were a number of light-hearted episodes, such as one where one of the characters (Dr. Bashir) ends up stuck in the holodeck in his "James Bond" program. . . . And of course, for the 30th anniversary of the original series' episode "The Trouble With Tribbles," "DS9" came up with an incredibly inventive time travel episode that spliced the DS9 crew into the original episode so that they were at times interacting with Captain Kirk! I showed my little boys "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode when they were 8 and 5, but I wouldn't let them watch "DS9" until they're much older, because of the complex arcs and themes and the grim violence (not gory and never sensationalized, but still a bit much). When they do get to watch it, though, I expect there will be much more to talk about than with other "Star Trek" series.

2 people found this helpful.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHH

its prettyyyyyyy goood! i love it! theyre gay

1 person found this helpful.

Deals with Peritent and Serious Topics

I think this is by far the best Star Trek series. It deals with serious topics - slavery, war, fascism, grief, genocide. Sisko is a great positive role model. He makes his choices based on his moral code and not what is easiest or convenient. He is a good father and deeply respected many other characters. The other characters are well written and acted, have their own personal strengths and weakeness and come together as a team to solve crises and respond to difficult situations. I loved the show as entertainment and the social and political subtext.

Great sci-fi show, but deals with some challenging themes.

Terrorism, slavery, war, racism, bereavement and suicide are some of the many difficult subjects this programme deals with. Because of this, some episodes are fairly violent and tough to watch. There are also some implied sex/nudity scenes, but language is pretty mild.

Deep Space Nine

Very good. One of the characters near the end has a drinking problem, but he gets over it, teaching kids to get over their drinking problems, which is good. Many bodys are seen because it is war so violence is a given. There is some sex because one of the characters is a sex fan. In another episode a woman refers to another woman as a "sl*t"