A Black girl sits next to her mom and dad on a couch, all smiling. She is pointing at a smartphone that they are looking at together.

Concerned about social media, AI, and screen time?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best out of media and tech.

Parent and Kid Reviews on

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 11 kid reviews

Sort by:

Best star trek show ever

Many of the shows characters are great role models, and The Episodes almost always have some important message you can learn from. There is no sex, just implied sex, and while there is violence, there isn't too much, and It almost always serves a purpose, there is only one meaningless death in the whole show.

Incredible! *REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I will get the negative out of the way, Ziyal and Jadzia die. My two favorite characters. Some episodes contain some suggestive stuff, such as in Doctor Bashir, I Presume? When Leeta accidentally walks out of a room nude. (nothing is shown). There is a lot of complicated romantic stuff, typically involving Dax since she is a symbiont and Jadzia, Ezri, Curzon, Torias, etc. An odd twist in the storyline is that Keiko is pregnat and gets hurt. (she lives) and the baby is transferred into Major Kira. Ferenginar has different (and bad) views on women. The show is incredible though, I would list more suggestive stuff but that can't be fair since they DID rate this Tv-14. During a Black Lives Matter episode a man gets shot, another gets beaten, and one says the n-word. "D***" and "B******" are also said. GREAT MESSAGES AND ROLE MODELS

An Increasingly Popular Star Trek Series, But Not My Favourite

First of all, this series of Star Trek is one that focuses on war and religion, two topics that have never been the focal points of whole series of Star Trek before. Like other Star Trek series it is ground breaking in terms of diversity and the issues that it focuses on. I probably first watched this series when I was about twelve, I am someone who is not into violence or gore, so when hearing that this was the darkest Star Trek series, I was a bit worried. But, honestly it is absolutely fine in that department, sure there are fights and people do get killed, but it isn’t graphic or gory, I don’t think they had the budget for that. I would even go as far to say that it is not as violent as any of the other Star Trek series of this time period, it just focuses more on the topic of war, which lots of movies and series focus on. The storytelling in this series is phenomenal like most Star Trek, I have to admit that the cast isn’t my favourite cast in Star Trek, but they are still engaging, especially Jadzia Dax, who is a strong female character, who I love! This series has a long running story arc which was unusual at the time when people had to catch all the episodes on tv, with this series if you missed one then you wouldn’t quite understand what was happening next episode. This is why the series was not as popular as other series, because this serialised way of storytelling was not all that widely used, shows tended to opt for more episodic structures, so I wouldn’t be drawn away because it the lesser known Star Trek series. Overall, the reason why I wasn’t completely enamoured with Deep Space Nine is because I felt like the Dominion War went on way too long so that the show got a bit samee, this is only my opinion though and there are many fans out there who love this series, so I would say definitely give it a shot. Also, in my opinion the first couple of episodes are not all that I great, and I almost got put off watching it completely just from watching them, so I would say push past these and then you’ll begin to really like the series. PS. Parents skip the three Mirror Universe episodes if your children are maybe below ten years old, my parents learnt this when watching with my younger brother, I can’t quite remember what was in them , there may have been some making out or something, but the rest of the series is fine, but the Mirror Universe episodes in this series can be missed.

Great Star Trek series, but with more violence

Star Wars: Deep Space Nine is a great Star Trek spinoff series for ages 10 and up. Unlike other Star Trek series, a large part of DS9 is based on war, so expect a little more violence than other Star Treks. There is also the occasional kiss, although most kids 10 and up should be fine. Personally this is my favourite Star Trek series of all and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Great, but some thoughts to take into consideration.

So, this show is one of the best I’ve ever seen. It has great characters, and they really echo personality unlike The Next Generation And Voyager. However, if you are going to watch this with your kids, you should first take into consideration what they enjoy. This is not some “Oh look it’s a bad guy, oh he’s so funny!” Type of show. There is a abundant amount of politics, and there are some instances where sex is indicated, but never shown. I recall in one episode one of the Dabo Girls (basically strippers) is naked, but she is shown from the head up. Also, in episode 6x13, the term nig**r is used. At the time it would not have been offensive, and is used to indicated people of colour. It is a great episode, so don’t skip it, but just know about that term. Anyway, great show, sooo go watch it.

Great Show

This masterful serialized drama is wonderfully told and acted. Parents shouldn’t worry too much; the violence isn’t very graphic and no nudity is present. Occasional light cussing is involved; but never too much.

Some mature content, some kid-friendly episodes

Star Trek Deep Space 9 is set in the middle of a war between the Federation (The good guys) and some aliens. Despite that context, I have never felt that the violence was too intense for 7-9+ (It really depends on the kid). If your kids play Fortnite, this should be fine. There are pretty inappropriate costumes for some aliens in some episodes, but those characters are usually not main characters. There is also kissing and innuendos. Some occasional swearing. As far as consumerism goes, practically no real products are advertised or mentioned in the show. I can only think of one example: occasionally aliens drink 'slug-o-cola' from a glass bottle shaped like the original coke bottles. However, one main character (and his species) has an alien philosophy of obtaining profit at all costs, including scamming custumers, making illegal trades, overworking employees, etc. If you want more info, look up Ferengi on Google. This philosophy is portrayed almost comically, but in my opinion, the presentation of this worldview could be more detrimental than seeing a jeep or toyota in a movie. Main characters drink. Side characters drink and get drunk. Teamwork and responsibility messages, + characters who try to do the right thing.

Not worth it

This show got to much for my family and we didn't even finish the series. I would recommend skipping it. My favorite character was the ODO? I think was his name he was the head guard guy.

Review DS9

Deep Space Nine has a lot of drinking and sexual scenes. I reccomend it forn 11 and up.

space battle bonanza

This show is one of the star trek franchise's best. although there are epic space battles and the dominion war. bodies are rarely shown. plus the federation's policies and the concept of united earth are very good examples.