Parent reviews for Star Trek: Discovery

Darker, more violent Trek still has positive messages.

Adult Written byDonna B. September 26, 2017

Pilot was tv-14, subsequent episodes are TV-MA!

This is not a show for children. TV-MA equates to an NC 17 or R rating at the movie theater. It's a shame because when STEM programs are so sought after for our boys and girls, that a franchaise that could inspire,has instead chosen to pander to the lowest common denominator. Not the kind of math I'd like my child to learn. We won't be watching.
Parent of a 13 and 13 year old Written byPhil G. October 16, 2017

F Word Used In First Star Trek Episode

We've just finished watching the latest episode of the family space drama Star Trek Discovery. My kids hadn't seen any of the previous versions except the odd film. Imagine our horror when one of the characters said: “You guys, this is so f**ing cool,” followed by another response from another character who said “No, cadet. It is f**king cool.” I'm no prude and I'm sure my kids hear it at school but I really don't want to sit down in the evening to watch a 'family' drama only to hear this language. We will not be watching it again.

Parent Written byWes V. October 22, 2017

No longer family appropriate

Previous series have all shown great character and have wonderful lessons in them. Imagine my surprise watching this, and in the fifth episode they drop not one but two f bombs. Then to top it off the very first romantic relationship is introduced and it is two men. Had to have a talk with my son after watching that episode about language and choices. Definitely not appropriate for children.

Parent Written byArisbe October 25, 2017

F***-it Jim, I'm a Country Doctor not an Asinine Discovery Officer!

I adore all the Star Trek series (DS9 my fav), save Enterprise and the reboot (sorta), and have been waiting for show like this for 20 years or so. Thus, I was excited to watch Discovery w/ my 8 and 12 year old boys as we have been making our way slowly through ST:TOS for a year now. I was thrilled to have a show that didn't depend on knowing the whole time line and the featuring of strong female lead and even openly gay characters. As said here, the pilot was just fine in terms of age appropriateness, but tonight we watched Ep. 3, "Context is for Kings" (great line btw) and I was appalled at the graphic depiction of the dead on the USS Glenn (another nice touch) and the scariness of the "kitty cat"creature: seemed straight outta Alien and The Thing. I said, "Boys, I'm not sure we can continue watching this series." And had to ask them if that was too scary or unsettling for them. They said "No," but I'm not so sure. Then to make matters worse, I found the folks on the Discovery, save the Cpt. and Saru, to be really un-Star Fleet like. Now, I get their hostility to Burhman (who is riveting) but their behavior did not fit my experience of Star Fleet personnel as being professional and virtuous. Yes, Kirk was a bit roguish at times, but never an a**-****, Not even Quark was that rude and petty. And while the "science" was cool for my kids to hear about, the whole crew thing I found off-putting and not good models for my boys. I mean, can you imagine Dr. McCoy, who could get pretty worked up, saying the line in the title of this review? And yes, the humor is totally lacking. Again, even DS9 which was pretty serious had a sense of humor. And now I hear my sons are going to hear the "F" bomb in upcoming episodes? What the "sam hill" is going on here? Has ST:D lost its ST "soul"? Is this just growing pains for a new series? Either way, we are going back to Kirk and co., then move on to Picard and co, and then DS9, and maybe Voyager. Hopefully, they will be 15 by then and we can watch Discovery together. Alas.....

Parent Written byBrian F. November 30, 2017

Why do they have to add the garbage?

It is a lot more like the original series of Star Trek than TNG or Voyager. It has the action and the drama, but it's light on the philosophy and science. They have upgraded their gore factor for sure. Unlike TOS, where the punches barely connected, you get squirting blood, impalement, disintegrating bodies, etc. Violence increase of a hundred fold. If you have traditional Christian morals, you should know that there is, as in most modern series, a central gay couple. The hero of the first series is gay, the doctor and he kiss on the final episode. They say that they love each other a couple times. The thing that irritated me most is that there are Klingon boobs. I'm not talking about the low cut leather, or the side, or cleavage, but the top view of a fully bare breast. It is in the middle of a traumatic flashback, but it certainly wasn't necessary. It's the straw that broke this camel's back. Bottom line for me is that if you liked TNG for the discussions of morality, or for the abstract ideas about who we are and how we get purpose in life past simple survival, this is another series in the long line after Nemesis that failed to bring those concepts to screen. I certainly won't pay to watch the series continue.

Parent of a 16 and 18+ year old Written bynuenjins October 7, 2017

Original take on 'Trek' universe lacks that old charm and wit to balance the action.

The female lead is engaging enough and movie level CGI and design move the competent storytelling along at a fair pace. This prequel to the 60s Star Trek original lacks the comedic interplay and interpersonal dynamics that made the series so endearing. The almost nonstop serious tone make for a dry tedium of what's next and get down to business rather than creating interesting relationships. It almost feels like a space soap opera written by Bond villains. It's not a 'bad' show, but it's not nearly as engaging in the same way traditional fans would hope for. The movies do a fine job tapping in to the lifeblood that makes Star Trek great but this is a rather bleak deviation that may interest some but alienate those who love the franchise for it's familiar sense of quirky relationships being as important, if not more so, than the stories themselves. This, along with the fact that these ongoing episodes are continuations and NOT self contained, the show requires the viewer to keep track of ongoing events, even amongst some borderline absurd premises. Edit:. Later on there are some highly innappropriate sexual scenes mixed with torture which are quite revealing and disturbing. These scenes should be elder teen to adult only. I bumped the age to at least 16.

Adult Written byDadOf3Too December 2, 2017

graphic depiction of torture and alien rape

-spoilers- In Episode 9, a character is incapacitated by PTSD, and has flashbacks of torture. 41 minutes into the episode this is compounded by a graphic flashbacks of alien rape. This appears to be a pivot in the series and will be a topic in future episodes. Not for kids and no longer for me either.

Parent of a 5, 7, 10, 12, 16, 18+, and 18+ year old Written bySage G November 13, 2017

Great for single adults

If you can't watch Star Trek with your family, then what's the point? The mid season finale featured a flashback to a human/klingon sex scene. Sure, the female's breasts were covered by prosthetic nipples, but it shows a sever lack of judgement to have included the scene in the first place. I'm done.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byM.Maven October 20, 2017

Not family viewing!

Don't be fooled into thinking you can watch this with your family. It's tone is dark, there's blood and gore (Ep 3) - and now they've dropped the F-bomb! (Ep 5) I was hoping for a series with the tone of The Flash or Supergirl, that my wife and I could watch with my 13 year old son. Whilst the pilot of Discovery was suitable, the rest of the series is not. It's a shame because the show has a lot of promise.

Adult Written byCan K. October 31, 2017

Really good show shouldn't even be TV-14

This show shouldn't be TV-MA it only has mild sci fi violence and mild language
Adult Written byMarty A. October 23, 2017

Started out good - til ep 5 with GD in it

The first episode was good. No foul language, etc. Violent - Yes. But the subsequent episodes have become more violent with more and more cussing. I couldn't finish the last episode (#5) because of having GD in it! I was shocked and VERY disappointed. But this seems to have become the norm for streaming shows lately.

Parent Written byDan M. November 26, 2017

Amazing show for teans

Star treck Discovery is a amazing show with violence and language. F**k is used sometimes but very rare. Even though this show is tv ma, it is a great family show.

Adult Written byJosh T. October 31, 2017

The New Face of Star Trek

So, yes, to watch it you have to pay for yet another streaming service. In my humble opinion CBS is taking advantage of generations of fans, millions of us, but it's a genius business move. Fans will pay anything for more Trek. And Discovery is very much worth the monthly 7 bucks. The show takes us back to the youth of the United Federation of Planets, a conglomeration of peaceful species and worlds, working for the benefit of galactic society and scientific endeavor. The setting of the story is based 10 years before William Shatner's Kirk of the 60s, a short century after Kirk's predecessor, Jonathan Archer and the first voyage of the first Enterprise. Because of this the Federation's rules aren't nearly as fine-tuned, progressive, and equitable as they come to be later in the timeline of the fictional universe, the period which we 80s kids were raised watching. We as humans, and our allied extra-terrestrial members of the Federation, have explored so little of the galaxy at this point that we've yet to encounter little more than legends of the Klingon Empire. When we confront them, it's immediate war. That is the nature of our inexperience with the beings beyond our star's little bubble. The nature of Klingons, a violent, prideful, devout, rooted-in-tradition, xenophobic warrior race. In the eyes of the Empire, we of the allied planets are sinister trespassers bent on aggressive cultural assimilation. War is bloody, therefore I give a word of caution to parents wary of tainting their resilient kids' minds with graphic violence. In my strong opinion, the violence and foul language depicted in Discovery is quite conservative compared to much of what kids watch nowadays. In context this show's rough parts are solidly appropriate. From the mass mauling of a ship's crew by a misunderstood and terrified creature painfully studied and experimented upon to the gore of battle with a species that prefers the glory of a bloody blade to the arguably more humane phaser, it all fits. There is far more conflict and uncertainty in this period of time, much like in the real world. As mentioned before this is the Federation in its youth. These are the first steps and stumbles of a grand vision of the future, so turmoil is inevitable. I'm very comfortable allowing my 9 and 11 year old daughters to enjoy the show with my wife and I, if only for the strong female role models. Star Trek has always pushed boundaries, therefore with every iteration of it there are bound to be big new questions asked, many of them uncomfortable. What does diversity mean? What is equality? How can we learn from our mistakes and progress as individuals and as a civilization? What is empathy? What do we as people stand for? What are our limits, our potential, as a sentient species? So far Discovery has impressed me with how boldly those kinds of topics are delved into, just like Gene Roddenberry, the mastermind behind all Trek, intended them to be. Not only is the subject matter current, relevant, and respectfully true to form, but the cast seems to have thrown themselves into their rich, multi-faceted characterization. The special effects, the set design, the breath-taking and serenely peaceful energy beings and their forest world, the tense space battles, the real connection between characters, the costumes, the humor, and so much more, they all take Trek to where it belongs. I love it. The bogus science can be forgiven; remember folks, there once was a time in which the idea of a personal communicator was laughably ridiculous, fantastical. Now we have smart phones that can function leaps and bounds ahead of supercomputers of old. The universal translator is already a real thing. Existence of dark matter has been all but proven. We can see literally to the edges of the known universe. Watch a bit then decide for yourself whether you want to share with your children the new face of a franchise that's inspired generations of adventure lovers, stargazers, scientists, astronauts, teachers, students, musical virtuosos, accomplished stage and screen actors, and artists of every kind. Who knows. Maybe your little fan-kid will someday be the inventor of the mushroom-powered spaceship teleporter. But not if she misses Discovery!

Adult Written bydn1 January 16, 2018

Not a Family Friendly Show.

I know how important it is to recognize free will and allow people to live their lives the best they can according to their personal way of life and speech. The previous Star Trek shows showed respect for that by not crossing lines that affected the way parents raised their children. But these days entertainment companies have no self control and seem bent on trying to instill this in their viewers. Any Scifi show being made would have to know it is going to attract the attention of younger and family viewers, especially Star Trek who has in the past been widely accepted as a family friendly category. This installment however crosses multiple lines and is not appropriate for children, unless you are purposely trying to desensitize them and let them know its okay to be out of control. The scenes can get a bit graphic in the action disturbing younger viewers, the mature theme and language content all seems in poor taste and wont be watched in my house or in the house of most of the people I know. Too bad, I have been waiting for a Star Trek to come out for so long only to have it be disqualified from our consideration. Just my 2 cents...

Adult Written bychrisman28 September 25, 2017

not going to pay to watch it but its alright

ok I watched the premeire episode of this an I was happy with what I saw I really enjoyed the blast of action and excitement I got from this show and I feel like our lead actress is a terrific influence on young girls and young boys on what to look for in a girl to date so you really cant lose here

Adult Written byPittsburghmichaels September 26, 2017

New Star Trek Show has great effects but stories will be weird

Star Trek Discovery Marks the first Star Trek Tv show since 2005 when Star Trek Enterprise ended. This show is not great. I watched the pilot episode and this show is not great. This is more violent than most SCI-FI shows. This show is confusing as well something new for Star Trek. The characters are good but the storylines are not the best. Also you need CBS ALL Access in order to continue to watch this show which you need to pay extra for.

Adult Written bytammo_leif February 5, 2018

Cussing including the F word and a fairly graphic sex scene, incorrectly rated "for families"

Just as I said, two F words in one of the earlier episodes, and a very graphic rape scene between a human and a Klingon in the season finale, including frontal nudity of a female. Also extremely violent.

Written byAnonymous February 13, 2018

Great and Easily Accessible Star Trek Series has some edgy content and mature themes

Violence/Scariness: Little in the way of graphic onscreen violence. Most episodes have combat of some sort. Lasers, swords, fisticuffs are used with largely bloodless results. One scene features some seriously mangled corpses. Klingons could be scary for very young viewers. Tame space fights with explosions and fires. Character has fleeting images of past torture, nothing seen in detail but we get the impression it was horrific. Small amounts of blood on faces or on swords. One sequence depicts a graphic and disturbing surgical transformation sequence. In one scene a metal object rushes through several soldier's heads causing small splatters of blood. Implied sexual assault, more info in sex category. Language: Like old star trek largely very tame, infrequent usage of "damn" and "hell" There is however a tiny exception to this. One episode feature two uses of f*cking (as an exclamation of excitement not directed at anyone) and one use of sh*t. The final episode has one use of sh*t. Besides that almost no language. Sex/Nudity: Some romance between characters. Occasional kissing between both opposite and same-sex couples. Two characters wake up in bed together (both fully clothed) implying sex, however nothing is seen or described. Final episode features two nearly-naked dancers, most likely strippers or prostitutes. However nothing is really said about them and their outfit does cover any sensitive parts. As for the sexual assault: in a flashback it is implied that a man is raped by a Klingon. Wrinkled sheets and hands are seen before cutting to a female Klingon on top of the man, no nudity is seen but the Klingon's are back is seen. She roars with pleasure before the scene ends. Probably the most mature part of the show, not graphic but not for younger audiences at all. Drugs: Occasional implied drinking of alcohol, though no one acts drunk. In final episode a character accidentally inhales "volcanic vapors" during an investigation and acts high afterwords, overall a silly scene not to be taken seriously.

Parent Written byRobert M. March 9, 2018

If you're a fan of Star Trek, you won't be a fan of this.

I've spent my entire life as a Trekkie. I've watched every episode of every series, seen every movie. This is not Star Trek. This has nothing to do with Star Trek. Even as far as Syfy dramas go this is a B-movie that was split up into episodes. I watch the entire first season. Just terrible...