Kid reviews for Star Trek: Discovery

Darker, more violent Trek still has positive messages.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieFan14 November 14, 2017

Star Trek takes a darker turn... but is that really a bad thing?

Star Trek has always been ahead of its time and dealt with some mature, modern themes. Discovery is no exception, but in today's world, which is pretty depressing, the themes of the series are similar. It deals with terrorism, PTSD, sexual assault and more. It features some graphic violence, strong language (the f-word), and sexual content including casual sex and sexual assault. One scene near the end of the latest episode could be skipped, it has nudity and a graphic sex scene. The show is fantastic for teens on up, but is absolutely very mature.

Teen, 14 years old Written bynate12621 October 5, 2017

Nothing inappropriate, not even sure why its rated TV-MA

The first episode was rated TV-14, subsequent episodes rated TV-MA. I have no idea why this is, the "maturity" of episodes after the pilot is the exact same. There is no sexual content, little to no swearing.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMobley114 October 11, 2017

NOT for kids

We (my parents and I) are only about 4 episodes in and u cab tell you this is EXTREMELY violent and definitely NOT for kids. I believe that it is much worse than a 3 rating of violence, it should probably be a 4. No one younger than 15 should watch this and honestly I think maybe 16. It is a interesting show though having said that, maybe a little dark.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNetflixIsLove November 20, 2017

Why is this rated TV-MA?

Teen, 13 years old Written byCarson Bush December 11, 2017

NOT FOR FAMILIES!

Parents: this is not a show for children. Gory, sex-filled and profanity-ridden, this show is absolutely awful. It is an insult to everything Star Trek stands for. Not worth a CBS All-Acess, and not worth your time.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySellyocouch November 28, 2017

Mature but worth watching

Okay, I love this show ALOT Although there is that one "scene" in episode 6 (I think?) I skipped past it. It was a little inappropriate, it didn't scar me but I can understand for younger viewers it would be gross. This show deals with some serious things to think on, like forgiveness, hope, love, and fighting for what's right.

Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2018

Good tv show, but it's pretty dark for a Star Trek TV show

Ok so DO NOT GET ME WRONG. This show is great! It symbolizes an African American, female leader (which hasn't been done before by Star Trek tv shows). However this 2017 version is not your classic 60s Kirk. There is gruesome violence with dead bodies, a disturbing rape by a klingon to a main cast member (which 15 seconds in I couldn't bear to watch itanymore), and there are a fair share of curse words. So if you plan on showing this to your eight year olds to share your love of Star Trek when you were their age, THINK AGAIN. This is best to share your love of Star Trek to your HIGH SCHOOLERS. And BTW I'm only aloud to watch this because my mom and I were anticipating this for years before we knew about it's dark material AND WE DIDN'T WANT TO BE LET DOWN BY IT'S MATURE RATING. So if you still want to watch this series, WATCH IT BEFORE YOU WATCH IT WITH YOUR KIDS, and BE READY FOR SOME CONVERSATIONS AFTER EACH EPISODE. One more thing: If your kid is like me and can handle more mature stuff then I wouldn't let this review ruin your Star Trek experience, on the other hand, be careful with this series. But overall a great lesson can be learned with just the right maturity level.

Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2018

Really Great Series. Really dark Series. Not like the series I watched as a little kid.

I love Star Trek. I've loved Star Trek since I was 4 when my mom would put it on TV. I was so excited for the new series that had been announced. So I put the first one on, pretty good, but then came the second one (which is "TV-MA" (the tv equivalent of "R")). At first I was shocked but by the tenth episode, I understood. There was a rape including exposed breasts (nipples not shown). Then as the series continued there were no-nudity-shown sex scenes, infrequent but they were there. And in the season finale naked butts are shown to the camera for like fifteen minutes the episode (Rated tv-pg ironically). Then the violence. FREQUENT AND GORY. From shootings, to a close up of a needle being jabbed in someone's eye, to straight out blood baths. THIS IS A GREAT SERIES but if you think you were going the share your love of Star Trek with the new generation, stick with the classics. The only reason I'm allowed to watch this is that my mom and I waited years to watch it. So maybe wait until your kids are teenagers before diving into this darker Star Trek.