All parent member reviews for Star Trek: Enterprise

Parent Written bywdwndspecialist September 7, 2013

Not for 8 year olds

I'm only here to say the rating by CSM is in no way common sense that an 8 year old should watch this. Other reviewers hit the nail on the head about violence and language being more intense than any other Star Trek series. I also want to note that one of the female characters has two scenes in two episodes where one of her breasts and butt are all but completely exposed.
Parent Written bythemegaton October 24, 2010
Parent Written byCooldee April 25, 2010

Before the Captain Kirk era.

I love science fiction, and I this series is cool, too! Beware of the violence-it can scare younger children!
Adult Written bySpud April 9, 2008

Star Trek Enterprise

I loved every Star Trek series, but Enterprise is better then anything else. The characters show more realistic optimism then any other Star Trek crew. And the human characters are more colorful then ever before; for the first time in any Star Trek series humans are more interesting then aliens. In the first two seasons we see a much more intense setting then in other series. Many different alien races are being given secret information from informants from the future, giving them an unfair advantage in a power struggle known as the Temporal Cold War. Season three transformed the show from a Sci-fi into a Sci-fi/epic with the introduction of the most complex, thought provoking aliens ever seen in a Star Trek series: The Xindi. The Xindi are 5 different species that belong to the same race, and they have been manipulated by outside aliens ever since the end of their civil war 120 years earlier. Since the Xindi's greatest weakness was their racial distrust of their other species, they are the perfect metaphor for the nations of Earth. Basically in season three, the greatest Star Trek series meets the greatest Star Trek aliens. Season Four has all the great moments that Enterprise fans have anticipated. The mystery of the Klingon forehead is finally explained, starfleet has it's first encounter with genetically engineered soldiers, an ancient relic restores Vulcan society, the Romulans use a prototype ship in an attempt to stop a coalition, and the Temporal Cold War comes to a end in 1944. And because these are mostly multiple-part episodes, you feel like you're watching full-length movies rather then individual episodes. The series also showed a lot of progression. Enterprise progressed more in four years then Next Generation did in seven. Content concerns mostly consist of bad language. The language is pretty excessive compared to other Star Trek series, comparable to the language you would find in most PG-13 movies. There are some episodes that are inappropriate for kids. “Cold Station 12” is a season four episode that gets a lot more gory then most. In a pretty long scene, it shows the effects of an alien sickness on a human. That scene gets pretty bloody and disgusting. “Storm Front” is another episode that has more bad language then most. It’s set during the 1940s, and depicts gangsters as having nasty mouths. “Harbinger” isn’t a violent episode, but there is a partially-naked scene. “The Council” is a season three episode that has a fairly violent scene where one of the good guys gets knifed with a big dagger. If you decide to let your kids watch the show, you should probably tell them to skip those episodes.
Adult Written bypzacle April 9, 2008

Few places where people embrace a higher moral standard

Enterprise, and the Star trek universe, is fundamentally based upon the vision of the future held by series creator Gene Roddenberry. Having spent nearly 50 years watching television, this is one of the few places where we are presented a vision of the future where people, and conditions on our planet improve (as a result of First Contact, where we are officially visited for the first time by an intelligent alien species). The understanding that we are not alone propels our planet earth to not only rapidly resolve social issues that have plagued humanity for thousands of years, but the new paradigm servies as a platform for humanity to go forth into space and be good. What I especially like about the series for my children, who have been watching Star Trek for years (first Voyager, then TNG< and now Enterprise, in order of airing, without commercials on DVDs from Netflix), is that they regularly see characters face complex personal and social issues, and they see how underlying principles like the prime directive, and other ideals that are held as unbreakable, help to guide characters to do the right thing time and again. It is the presence of these ideals that are all too absent in most television today.