All parent member reviews for Star Trek: Enterprise

Parent Written bywdwndspecialist September 7, 2013

Not for 8 year olds

I'm only here to say the rating by CSM is in no way common sense that an 8 year old should watch this. Other reviewers hit the nail on the head about violence and language being more intense than any other Star Trek series. I also want to note that one of the female characters has two scenes in two episodes where one of her breasts and butt are all but completely exposed.
Adult Written byJohnny J January 19, 2016

Common Sense Media - Pull Your Socks Up, Please!

I've been watching Enterprise, or as it was entitle from Season 3 onward Star Trek Enterprise, recently, as I missed most of it when it was on TV. First off let's get one thing straight. This show is NOT for kids - this would depend what age you define a "kid", of course, but certainly not every episode is "kid" friendly. I've never agreed with the PG-13 or 12A ratings of the U.S.A. or U.K. respectively. Because people vary so much with what they can handle, in terms of visual content. I believe, in 2016, as we are now, that both the MPAA and BBFC need to be completely disbanded, and new ratings boards ought to take their place. And I believe next up from a PG rating should come a 14 rating. The ratings boards have simply lost the plot these days. On a positive note, it warms my heart when I realize that some people still have some common sense with regard to all this stuff. One thing I've noticed at this site, is it's often the reviews from kids which are the more balanced and sensible ones. Not always, but probably more often than the adult reviews. I've noticed on this site that some of the VERY adult shows/movies will often have some reviews from "kids" which are giving a VERY low age rating. Some of these are probably genuinely from kids hoping to somehow get justification to see more "naughty" material. Most, I believe, are written by adults, who are just being idiots/drunk when they post. I think this site has now reached a point where it needs a little more of a watchful eye, because of this. Onto the show Enterprise, then. As I say, not for kids. Saying this show is suitable for ages 8 and up is MORONIC, "Common Sense Media". Some episodes would no doubt be ok. But most won't - certainly not for YOUNG kids. One of the things I guess some kids are (to a degree) used to, when it comes to visual depictions of violence these days, is seeing a little more blood on injuries than perhaps people a generation ago would have witnessed under the same circumstances. In addition to this, perhaps this newer generation is more used to the camera being at a twisted angle, or shaking when a fist physically impacts against a character's face and such. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that within media in the 21st Century violent acts have their violence enhanced by such things. Camera shake, weird camera angles, quick cut editing, harsh sound effects, and harsh soundtrack sounds all add to the physicological impact of the on-screen violence, and worsen it. Be it in a videogame, a TV show, a movie, or a music video. And 21st century media contains much of this - it's prolific. And riddles entertainment media pf the 21st century like a parasite. My personal tastes aside (I don't see the need for these kind of harsher effects in lower rated/"family" productions/anything aimed even remotely toward kids), there is no denying this. Enterprise uses a lot of the aforementioned things. Injuries and beatings are also fairly often a "15 rated" affair (I was born in the UK). Not all, mind you. As I say, some episodes are more child friendly. One other thing - on aspect of 21st century TV show/movie franchises I LOATHE, is not sticking to ONE age range for the series of movies/TV show. If a show is aimed to be suitable for ages 12 and up, for example - WHY put a couple of episodes in there which aren't suitable unless the viewer is 15/16? It's all about Marketing - and the almighty dollar. And whizzes in the face of familes and society. The respective industries - be they TV, Movie, Music, or Videogame again need tighter control. It's time for parents and kids alike to turn the Sensible Dial up a notch or three, and make these money-grabbers more liable and accountable for the "entertainment" they churn out. Language is also an issue with this show. It's pre-Prime Directive within the Star Trek Universe, no doubt, but the language usage is also very Un-Trek, and overly harsh. Though, as a male, I find T'Pol in her somewhat skimpy decontainment pants attractive, or clingy nightwear visually likewise - you have to ask yourself...is this really very "Trek"? And the (honest) answer, is "not really, no." lol. There are also many mentions of sexuality. And visual depictions of things connected to sexuality. Some of which are very light hearted and dealt with in an nice way. Other times, it's too adult for kids. Basically, they've tried to "adult it up" for this "Star Trek". And have done so in a very callous and calculated way. This show is not aimed at kids. They are not the target audience. Though, I'm sure the Producers of the show loved the extra revenue kids might give them. But my overriding concern with this show would be the depiction of violence, and grotesque imagery - of which there is a considerable amount. It definitely ensures it to be unsuitable for under 14's. But is the show any good? In my opinion, it's FAR too obsessed with time travel elements. And this is another reason why it fails. If you like Star Trek and what it's really about...you will probably not really like this show. Is it abysmally awful? No! But would you care to rewatch most of it? NO! Is it worth a rewatch? Some of it..maybe. Docter Phlox coming out of hibernation was acted brilliant - and is absolutely hilarious. There isn't ENOUGH of this sort of thing. The show is waaay too heavy and serious most of the time! It's ironic, but (likeable though I've always found Bakula - who plays this show's Captain, Archer) you'll probably find the Chief Engineer, Trip, a far more likable character. Archer often doesn't come across as the best Captain, really. One particular episode has him berate Trip - for doing the exact same kind of thing he's previously done several times himself already. Some might say this is WHY he got annoyed. I say "Poppicock!"...it's bad writing, plain and simple. This is why I have to give it two out of five stars. It's the worst of all the Trek series. And I don't believe, strictly speaking, that it really *should* be refered to as Star Trek - I think the Producers were actually correct to just call it Enterprise for this reason. Again, ironically, it's in Season 3 when they decided to attach Star Trek to the title - because this is the least "Star Trek" Season ever produced lol. Oh, well! So, bottom line - not the best show. And don't believe Common Sense Media's "8+ Rating" because it's nonsense! All the best. J
Parent Written byCooldee April 25, 2010

Before the Captain Kirk era.

I love science fiction, and I this series is cool, too! Beware of the violence-it can scare younger children!
Adult Written bySpud April 9, 2008

Star Trek Enterprise

I loved every Star Trek series, but Enterprise is better then anything else. The characters show more realistic optimism then any other Star Trek crew. And the human characters are more colorful then ever before; for the first time in any Star Trek series humans are more interesting then aliens. In the first two seasons we see a much more intense setting then in other series. Many different alien races are being given secret information from informants from the future, giving them an unfair advantage in a power struggle known as the Temporal Cold War. Season three transformed the show from a Sci-fi into a Sci-fi/epic with the introduction of the most complex, thought provoking aliens ever seen in a Star Trek series: The Xindi. The Xindi are 5 different species that belong to the same race, and they have been manipulated by outside aliens ever since the end of their civil war 120 years earlier. Since the Xindi's greatest weakness was their racial distrust of their other species, they are the perfect metaphor for the nations of Earth. Basically in season three, the greatest Star Trek series meets the greatest Star Trek aliens. Season Four has all the great moments that Enterprise fans have anticipated. The mystery of the Klingon forehead is finally explained, starfleet has it's first encounter with genetically engineered soldiers, an ancient relic restores Vulcan society, the Romulans use a prototype ship in an attempt to stop a coalition, and the Temporal Cold War comes to a end in 1944. And because these are mostly multiple-part episodes, you feel like you're watching full-length movies rather then individual episodes. The series also showed a lot of progression. Enterprise progressed more in four years then Next Generation did in seven. Content concerns mostly consist of bad language. The language is pretty excessive compared to other Star Trek series, comparable to the language you would find in most PG-13 movies. There are some episodes that are inappropriate for kids. “Cold Station 12” is a season four episode that gets a lot more gory then most. In a pretty long scene, it shows the effects of an alien sickness on a human. That scene gets pretty bloody and disgusting. “Storm Front” is another episode that has more bad language then most. It’s set during the 1940s, and depicts gangsters as having nasty mouths. “Harbinger” isn’t a violent episode, but there is a partially-naked scene. “The Council” is a season three episode that has a fairly violent scene where one of the good guys gets knifed with a big dagger. If you decide to let your kids watch the show, you should probably tell them to skip those episodes.
Parent Written bythemegaton October 24, 2010
Adult Written bypzacle April 9, 2008

Few places where people embrace a higher moral standard

Enterprise, and the Star trek universe, is fundamentally based upon the vision of the future held by series creator Gene Roddenberry. Having spent nearly 50 years watching television, this is one of the few places where we are presented a vision of the future where people, and conditions on our planet improve (as a result of First Contact, where we are officially visited for the first time by an intelligent alien species). The understanding that we are not alone propels our planet earth to not only rapidly resolve social issues that have plagued humanity for thousands of years, but the new paradigm servies as a platform for humanity to go forth into space and be good. What I especially like about the series for my children, who have been watching Star Trek for years (first Voyager, then TNG< and now Enterprise, in order of airing, without commercials on DVDs from Netflix), is that they regularly see characters face complex personal and social issues, and they see how underlying principles like the prime directive, and other ideals that are held as unbreakable, help to guide characters to do the right thing time and again. It is the presence of these ideals that are all too absent in most television today.