All parent member reviews for Star Trek: The Original Series

Parent Written byStefanLasiewski January 6, 2014

Great, but watch out for male and female sexual stereotypes

I started watching this with my 9 year old son. The series is very entertaining for him and me and we will continue to watch it. I appreciate that the series was progressive for the era, but this show reminds me how far we've progressed since then. I forgot that the series isn't all about spaceships, exploration and aliens, and *whoa* I wasn't quite prepared for some of the content. I don't have a problem with my children watching positive (but age appropriate) sexual role models, which in my mind means people hugging, kissing, a little passion and treating each other with respect and acting maturely. However, Star Trek is almost comical in it's 1967 view of woman as sexual creatures. Watch out for the outdated sexual stereotypes-- all women wear sexy miniskirts, and two out of three of the main woman characters are assistants to men and often do little except stand there and look attentive, such as Yeoman Rand nor Nurse Chapel. Uhura's shapely legs are often framed quite conspicuously and wow are those skirts short. We're only on episode 8, and I've already had to pause and talk about the sexual allure presented in "Mudd's Women", Charlie slapping a woman's rear and the almost-rape scene in "Charlie X", and in "The Naked Time" why does Yeoman Rand need a man's help (Spock) to get past the drunk man into the elevator when I'm sure she's strong enough to figure it out on her own, etc. These topics are presented in an innocent and light way, as was appropriate for television in 1967. But I had to pause the show a couple of times and comment about why those things were wrong and 'outdated'. And I'll tough briefly on the male stereotypes: men must always present a strong, tough face to the outside world. Forget your true emotions, let's fix this with a fist fight! While the women seem lose their heads too often, men are always able to be strong and quick and can fix any problem. Clearly each episode tells us a moral story, but the moral may not be understood by some children. Other then that, we've seen about 5 corpses. I guess it's okay for a 9 year old to see that, and he's seen worse elsewhere, and I can't shelter my kids forever, but I'm not sure I feel good about that.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 23, 2009

An Engaging Show with Outdated Effects but Role Models to Die For...

STAR TREK is a perfect TV series. It is engaging, action-packed (though not too action-oriented for kids), and it's brimming with positive messages and role models. In fact, aside from some laser rays, tense images, and infrequent mild language ("d**n it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!"), the show has nothing wrong with it. Characters are kind and tolerant of each other, and courage, bravery, sacrifice, and kindness are recurring themes of the show that always take center stage from the sci-fi fights. Highly recommended.
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

living breathing show

only violent for kids under 8, but frequent semi-sexual themes that require discretion... the pilot just creeped me out in that area ... but an amazingly brilliant show. watch it. you'll be hookkkkkked. \\// live long and prosper :)
Parent Written byCooldee April 21, 2010

For ages 11 and up, but please beware of younger children watching this show-it can scare them!

Please beware of the violence, even though blood is not shown, and the messages that are given are the following: Respect, duty, loyality, and friendship. I love this show!
Parent Written byBlackberryBushFamily December 30, 2009

I am almost 11 and this is way to scary. Characters are not what they seem. Captains "log" is funny though.

This show is too scary. Lost in Space was already scary enough. I keep trying to watch this show with my mom and dad and little brother, but I always have to run out of the room. Nancy the salt sucker is horrible and the music that plays in each show reminds me of her. I feel bad my friends watch Avatar and aren't scared, but I watch this and I have to leave the room. Even my little brother likes this show. I like Star Wars though. I'm not allowed to see the last one they made.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 29, 2009

Best show ever made

What made "Star Trek" so special was the heart and message behind the special effects. This is different from other space shows, who only care about flash and style. Star Trek has fantastic characters who care about each other, and who the audience cares for as well. Totally recommended. I started watching it when I was 4 years old and haven't stopped since!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bygcgee@msn.com April 27, 2009

A great show for kids

I understand the rating of 8+, but for our kids, 4 and 6, there is no better show. (The goofy special effects on some level negate the possibility of it really being too scary.) We like the show's positive messages, the questions the plots inspire, the friendship of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and the interest the kids are now showing in science. For kids, what's better than good stories involving spaceships, guys in monster suits, bright colors, and styrofoam rocks? Ultimately, Star Trek TOS is just plain fun and so well done, despite its budgetary limits. Have fun!