Parent reviews for Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Poster Image

I most accurate review and advise

Despite what I’m about to say, I want to start off by saying this show is brilliant, and I’m picky. Many view this show as a kids show, it’s absolutely not. Common sense wrote their review based off of season 1, which is very light hearted and just contains droids being destroyed for the most part. If you do not know, there are 7 seasons of this show, starting season 2, the violence ramps up a lot. The show is not designed for young children. Violence is very frequent, characters are murdered in cold blood on screen, characters necks are crushed with them sophisticating and sound affects of their necks being crushed, assassins and bounty hunters snap necks, shoot, and tear apart characters, dark elements occur such as for there to be balance good and evil must exist. Also how body count of humans and other characters being shot, heads being sliced off, on screen torture, and a lot more. I’m only on season 3 out of 7, and even though I’m an adult and handle rated R and tvma shows all the time, this show is simply not made for children. Not to mention strippers are introduced briefly and erotic dancers, drinks that have the same affect as alcohol, and I hear the later season only get more intense. Again, this show is absolutely brilliant, but contains more violence then any Star Wars movie ever made including episode 3 even though it’s a cartoon. 13 is the minimum age I recommend, it just has too dark of messages to be put in a child’s mind. The politics and the writing of the show is all far too complicated for kids to understand anyways. If you plan on watching it with your child, skipping through violence or racy scenes is pointless because of how frequent they are. Just be careful, but if your a teen or an adult, don’t let the first half of season 1 fool you into thinking it’s for kids, the writing quickly gets dark.

1 person found this helpful.

Surprised at the Age 8 rating

I watched several of these with my seven year old and was sorry I did. It is a great Star Wars show but many episodes have concepts that aren’t appropriate for younger kids. One of the many examples is season 3, episode 13 “Monster”, about the creation of Savage Opress. An evil sect of witches is selecting a man from a clan of brothers to become their warrior servant. The man competes against his brothers for the “honor” and all but one brother dies in the process. The winner offers himself in exchange for his remaining brother’s life and the brother is spared. But then the witches cast spells to make the winner into Savage Opress, a powerful warrior. To confirm his allegiance after the transformation, he is commanded to kill the spared brother. He does it without hesitation.

1 person found this helpful.

Disney+ says 6+...

When we started watching this my little ones were 8 and 5. As I'm sure is common, the youngest is happy watching things the oldest would not have been. So, please consider the 8 year old for this review. I need to start off by saying that Disney+ says 6+, and that formed the basis for us deciding it was OK to watch. It is a show we watch together. We just started S4. However, in hindsight, there is no way I would recommend this for under 8s. It is very violent, death is frequent and often much more graphic than I would expect. There is a lot of fairly harmless "pew pew pew" action, especially in space, but characters, often incidental to the stories, are run through with lightsabres on a semi-regular basis. The poor clone troopers are like red shirts in Star Trek; if one makes it back alive it's a miracle. Then (spoilers) in Episode 2 of Season 2 a character is tortured to death via electrocution. It's not implied, and there is no cutaway, it's literally a case of "*bzorp* *more bzorp* *even more bzorp* *strangled cries* *slumps dead*". After dealing with the shock of that (I personally was shocked), I figured we might as well stick with it but with hindsight, I might have left off Clone Wars for another year or so. But, having said that, here in the UK, children start learning about WW1 from the age of around 5/6. The ideas of battle and death should be familiar to them. And I do think this is (genuinely) one of the better portrayals of war I have seen on screen. It's long, it's complicated, a LOT of people die, civilians die, heroes die. They fight over many planets, with different environments, there are many different races. There are different challenges, there is subterfuge, there is politics, there is war profiteering. People make mistakes and have to account for themselves. Consequences are dealt with. In particular, the concept of the clone troopers and how they are grown to fight and die raises a lot of philosophical questions. I was genuinely surprised by how much my children "got" this. They have a great deal of empathy with the clones. Another episode looks very seriously at non-violence and whether the Jedi are hypocrites for "taking sides". The one thing I don't like about some of the earlier seasons is the portrayal of some female characters, in particular their clothing. Ahsoka, one of the central characters spends the first two seasons wearing a mini skirt (with leggings) and a boob tube. This is one the kids didn't really notice until she appears in S3 with much more practical attire. However, often other incidental female characters are depicted wearing very little alongside males dressed very "practically". Think Jabba the Hutt's dancing slave girl in Return of the Jedi. Just how bad that is depends on your point of view but it's bad enough that you'll notice if you pay attention to these things. However, overall, there are a lot of good role models (for boys and girls) and some genuinely great messages.

Turns dark and creepy

Starts off with season one as fitting for younger ages, but gets increasingly dark and graphic by middle of season 3. Does not dwell on bloody details but still disturbing means of killing people. People are impaled by sabers. Cringe worthy sound effects when people die by having neck snapped by the hand, choked as you hear a crunch, or bones crushed after a fall. Exotic human-like alien dancers appear dancing frequently in background of numerous scenes of bad guys hangouts. Enough to make me uncomfortable and need to explain to children why a children's show wrongly chose to feature women as sex objects. Our 11-13 year olds liked the earlier seasons, but wanted to skip spooky witch and demon episodes in season 3. I would not consider this on par with other PG children shows. Some episodes walk the edge towards PG13.

Great for Teenage, but not for under 12

The story is mostly good (except some silly story/missions in between serious topics), covering e.g. : Heroism, Valor, Honor, not giving up on hope etc. However, this is definetely NOT for 8 years old, well maybe only the first 1 or 2 seasons, the rest of the story is quite dark : - Betrayals and deceptions - Slavery and Torture - Revenge - Heavy on politics - Beheading (eventhough without blood) - Drinking, Bar Scene, Sexy Dancer Suitable for kids after elementary schools (hence 13+)

One of the best animated shows

The show gets REALLY good in the later seasons and is better than many of the Star Wars films. The character development and storyline are incredible.

Its pretty good

its pretty good it does have cursing but so far we only heard hell and that was episode 5 or 6. It has messages at the beginning of the episodes.

I was watching this on my couch when I heard my two year-old crying, so I brung him out and he stopped, the joy on his face seeing this lovely show, it brand joy to my heart as I am a huge Star Wars fan. Now I know I have done well as a father.