All parent member reviews for Steven Universe

Adult Written byemilylynng January 13, 2015

Everything you should ACTUALLY know about Steven Universe, okay?

I was so blown away by how bad the top review for this show was so I made an account: Hello, My name is Emily, I'm not a soccer mom, and here's everything you should know about Steven Universe that most moms wouldn't find in a Common Sense Media review: Steven Universe is the first cartoon on Cartoon Network to be written by a woman. Anyone who is saying the show perpetuates race or gender stereotypes either a. Hasn't watched the show or b. "watched it" by having it on in the background while cooking hamburgerhelper and isn't paying attention. The series is about a band of mystical interstellar fighters, The Crystal Gems, and young Steven, a half-Gem by his late mother, fighting monsters while Steven grows into himself and learns more about himself, his mother, and his destiny. All of the physically strong characters in this show self-identify as female. They are NOT, however, women-they are gems. They are not human. They take on a physical form of their choice. There is nothing WRONG with curvaceous women. I applaud this show for having female-bodied people with varying shapes and so should you. Amethyst and Garnet both present themselves as people of color (POC), a catch all for "ethnic" where ethnicity is not implied, and have bodies you don't see often in cartoons (or in the media, for that matter) . Amethyst is not dressed inappropriately-she dresses how young people normally dress ; an off-the-shoulder blouse above a tank top is not scandalous. Garnet is voiced by a British POC and, despite appearing as a black woman, is arguably the strongest and most level-headed of the Gems. Her body is never sexualized and, though stoic, has had whole episodes dedicated to her power to love. She has been called the leader of the group, so imagine. Pearl is tall,flat chested, and thin , a body type a lot of girls also find in themselves that they can't always find in media in a positive light, and is educated and graceful. She displays some social anxiety and traits of OCD that, instead of hindering her or making her unlikeable, actually make her achievements and contributions to her team all the more impressive. As someone who grew up with a learning disability and social anxiety, I enjoy Pearl's character a lot. These are NOT "tropes", they are character traits, and it's important your kids have diverse representation to look up to. Steven is a great role model for children. Hopeful and upbeat, nothing ever, ever gets Steven down. Even when Steven fails in an episode-and he does-the Gems are sure to reassure him, since failure is the best way to learn. This doesn't make him annoying, it makes him human and relatable to your kids, who are goofy and fallable. Steven also challenges gender norms. While displaying an innocent love interest in (POC!) human girl Connie and having a boyish love of video games and explosions, he isn't afraid to embrace the cute and pink-his Gem is Rose Quartz so he brands a pink shield and pink lion, and won't hesitate to call something like a cartoon animal "cute". A little mind-blowing to some parents, but I believe the right ones can appreciate the message that colors and things don't equal "being gay". The relationship dynamics are also great and, for a show about freakin alien humanoid gems, pretty darn realistic. Steven is raised by the Gems. It's unclear why-hints are made that it's to make sure he gets the proper instruction he needs as a Gem, or that his father Greg isn't in a situation to raise him- but the Gems are great parents, if awkward, given their limited know-how on humans, but what parents are perfect? While Greg does not live with his son, and ebbs out a meager existence as an owner of a car wash, he's seen in several episodes giving Steven fatherly advice and disciplining him when he needs it. I think its great that we are given a unique family perspective in a kids show. Not all families are nuclear and this doesn't have to make them bad; not all children live with their fathers, but this does not have to keep them from having a healthy relationship with them. Hell, I wish my Dad was as approachable as Greg, who seems to be the progenitor of Steven's "never give up" attitude. Stevens never shows anything but pride in his Gem family or his father. In the episode where he meets Connie's parents for the first time, two married well-to-do people, he brings his whole family and expresses anger at the idea that anyone would be "ashamed" of them. As for the deceased mother, well, she gave up her life to bring Steven into existence. Rose Quartz expressed a love for all living things, and humility, and is inherited in Steven, who gradually tries to subdue and convert monsters to good instead of destroying them. That's some beautiful stuff. The other characters in Steven's town are also fun and diverse, many POC. Any "sexualization" you've heard of in the show, as I typed this, has been hand-holding and dancing. That's it. Nothing you wouldn't find anywhere else. No blood or death in the series except for post-show death of mother, and the monsters aren't even "killed"-they are captured and stored away. As a young person and lover of animation, I can't push this show enough. Music is beautiful, animation is an actual pleasure to your eyes worthy of being called art, episodes range from goofy and fun to heart-warming and moving, and a range of ages-your baby to your elem. school aged child to your tween or teen-can be in the same room to watch this and, honestly, will love it the OLDER they are. You should probably watch it too. I plan on being a stay-at-home mom and watching it with my kids one day. If you think children's entertainment shouldn't engage your kids at all and just jingle keys in their face while you fumble with a car seat, or are backwards enough to dislike interracial coupes or strong black women or people wearing whatever they want or boys wearing pink, that's one thing, but it's an A+ great show for our times, I want it to get more support so we can have more like it because, honestly, it's what we deserve.
Parent Written bymilanestablished January 20, 2014

It's Great

When you search for wrong things you can find them! Even in a Tom and Jerry you can see stereotypes and mildly sexual behavior. People complain when there are too thin characters and people complain when they're too big! We all come in different shapes and sizes and I think it's refreshing to see a character that doesn't fit the "physical mold". Whether she be Darker skinned with a cubed futuristic afro or thin with spikey blonde hair. Each of the characters on Steven Universe are modeled after the meaning behind the gem they dawn. Garnet- Protection Pearl- Sophistication Amethyst- Playful Stevens character lost his mother at birth and the whole story line is not only him saving the world but finding himself while being taken care of by his late mothers "sisters". The father isn't an active or constant part of his life but he continues to be fun loving and learns himself each episode with the women in his life. He takes trips to see his father they mourn as well as celebrate the life of Stevens Mother. I think it's a positive message for racial, physical, and emotional tolerance.
Adult Written byInfinity8 April 14, 2014

Emily, your review of the characters is so off mark

You make it sound as if having different body types is somehow disrespectful, but its not. Steven Universe character designs embrace the differences. I also find it funny how you're review says nothing about pearls body type because in your mind its probably "normal". Embrace differences, don't erase them. Heres a more accurate review of the characters. Steven is a boy who is also a crystal gem. Hes very energetic and looks up to his 3 friends Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl. His curiosity and awe often gets him into trouble but the rest of the Gems are always around to help him solve the problem while teaching him a lesson in the process. Garnet is the cool and level headed of the Gems. She almost has a leadership role in the group. Shes very patient with Steven and the rest of the Gems. She always gets along with along with everyone because she doesn't judge. The right amount of seriousness and fun. Amethyst is a silly, rambunctious girl who likes to have fun all the time. She and Pearl have a bit of a friendship rivalry since their characters are almost opposite to each other. She doesn't like responsibilities and doesn't care too much for tidiness. She reminds Steven to have a little fun sometimes and encourages him to continue being himself. Pearl is the gentle but strict one. She likes order and cleanness and is often seen bickering with Amethyst about Amethyst's untidy habits. She reminds Steven that he has to be responsible and in my opinion is almost like Stevens mother figure since he doesn't have his motherly around anymore.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byRaptorkaz November 20, 2013

You can be a hero and still be heavy, just look at amethyst.

I think that saying Steven Universe can cause body image issues for kids because there are portly characters is a very strange way of thinking. I like watching cartoons with my daughter, and I try and monitor the media she consumes. Because I watch shows with her I have noticed that nearly all the shows on Cartoon Network show skinny male characters as the heroes. I think it's refreshing for her to be watching a show where the heroes, if not the titular character, are women. I think it's also important that not all the characters are skinny. I want my kids to make healthy choices but I also don't want my eight year old giving up treats because she thinks they'll make her fat. I want her to see that you can be "portly" and still be a hero.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaborer2002 January 1, 2014

Great Show with Realistically Imperfect Characters

A show with some minor faults, but is beautifully animated and has wonderful music. Stephen is, to me, a tragic figure, who has lost his mother, but still loves his deadbeat father. He is guided by an all-female household, all of who have good points and bad points. And they live in a rundown resort town, which to me is more realistic than any number of shows about suburban cul-de-sacs. Magical beings with flaws? Show me who is without flaws, and I will urge them to cast the first stone.
Parent Written byDarla Tea November 4, 2013

Special New Show

I found this show to be sweet and creative with a cute 80's retro sensibility. Because the creator came from Adventure Time ( Rebecca Sugar) the storyline doesn't condescend to adults or kids, female or male members. The main character is a kind of outcast trying to find himself and connect with his imperfect father and apparently deceased mother ( from whom he received his powers?). It's already engaging. Our family is looking forward to more.
Parent Written byJayce8654 January 22, 2015

Been watching since debut

My sons have been watching Steven Universe, adventure time, regular show, clarence, uncle grandpa, 'gumball' for a long while. I recently DVR'ed several episodes of several childrens shows and set out on an experiment to watch all of them. I did so. I have reviewed all of the above shows. Now I move to Steven Universe. At one time I believed all of these shows were harmless and mostly created as equals. I now have a better understanding of the new age of childrens shows. This is another show I am very much against any child 10 and under watching. Other reviews I mentioned maturity and intelligence within your child as a deciding factor in allowing kids to watch; That is NOT the case in this review. Steven Universe is almost good, almost ok to watch, almost entertaining, but it IS NOT any of the above. I compare this to Uncle Grandpa. It is strange, creepy, inappropriate, gross, unsettling, etc. I did not like watching Steven Universe. Yes theres factors that make me believe its almost on 'Gumball's" level; but other factors that make me dislike as much as 'Grandpa' . Thank You Update: This show is awful. Period.
Adult Written byIcyteasupport March 14, 2014

Believe in Steven Universe?

Amazing show, the pacing is perfect, it doesn't need a 2 part episode to explain something with loads of action and emotion.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymcgintymk January 24, 2015

Better than Expected

I admit I was skeptical about the quality of the show when I saw it advertised. But, being an illustrator, I've had a lifelong interest in cartoons. I was surprised that the heroes of the show are women even though Steven is the focus. As well, I thought it refreshing that the women represent ethnicities besides Caucasian and their body types are not idealized "Barbie" types. Yes, their is bloodless fighting but this is a show about superheroes. What really strikes me about every episode is the affection between Steven and the gems. Steven is kind, caring and thoughtful and the gems are supportive and nurturing to Steven. Essentially at the end of the episodes I'm left thinking how sweet the show is. I'm glad there is a cartoon like this on television.
Adult Written byqwerty999 May 19, 2014

I generally like this show

This show seems okay for most kids 8 and up. It can get a little violent or creepy in some episodes but kids can handle more than parents think sometimes.
Adult Written bytjj1 February 12, 2015

Just..wow

I mean. This show is more then just a show about action. It's about life, gives and takes of life also. Steven with no mom and a dad but he's still the most happiest kid ever. With each episode this series gets more and more beautiful. Please more people need to support this. The creator, Rebecca Sugar deserves more recognition for creating this show. I love her for that, thanks
Adult Written byTyspy197 April 20, 2015

The only show I watch

This show is by far the best show I have seen. Everything about this is well thought out and beautiful; the plot, setting, artwork, animation, character development, everything. The show is essentially about polymorphic sentient rocks which go by the name "the crystal gems". Without spoiling much of the show, I'll just say that there is a LOT of intertwining plots between episodes. This means that the best way to see the show is IN order, but seeing out of order will also give you a wonderful experience. I find that this show is extremely full of positive messages about acceptance and atypical characters. For example: Amethyst is of a heavier set build, Garnet has large thighs, and pearl is very twig like. The show also has a different dynamic, being that steven's mother is also him. This is due to Steven's mother passing on her gem to him ultimately killing herself to create steven. The other gems who are looking after steven are upset at the fact that Rose is gone, but accept and teach Steven, even if they almost seem to blame him for his mother being gone. To be completely honest, I don't watch any TV other than this show. I love it's messages and its goal. Unlike other shows like Teen Titans Go!, Steven Universe has a lot of emotion and character development. Most of the episodes bring out intense emotions due to the character development and the bond you feel with the characters. On a final note, nothing about the show is typical or not well thought out. Every single episode as of now has had wonderful plot or character development even if the episode is a minor one. I recommend this to anyone of any age!
Parent of a 1, 8, and 12 year old Written byamberh2 December 14, 2014

I love it and my kids love it too
Adult Written byPlyers December 7, 2014

Consequences

The way I see it, such harsh portrayals of the world can teach a child a lot more than a funny joke or a cheesy message at the end of an episode. A kid needs to see just how cold and mean the world is sometimes, y'know? Sometimes a kid's born with a dead mother. Some kid's dad's are slackers who never worked a day in their life. This show teaches kids that life sucks sometimes, and that every action has consequences. In shows like The Amazing World of Gumball, or Teen Titans GO, a character can jump off cliffs and be fine in the next scene. But in Steven Universe, a character can break their leg in one episode and still have it broken in the next episode. Every choice matters, and one bad choice could get someone stabbed, or bring someone to the brink of death. You get to see characters at their best... and characters at their absolute worst. Although it may be harsh, or even gruesome sometimes, it's good exposure for a growing child. Of course, there is a limit to how young a child should be to watch this show. I feel that, depending on how fast your child is maturing, 11 is usually a good age. Just show them an episode and see if they're into it. Chances are, if they're too young to be watching the show, they're too young to understand it anyway.
Adult Written byKarch November 27, 2014

It has depth.

Honestly, like others, at the start I believed it to be just another flashy show. Then I noticed the name of the creator and became interested. It is a show that is generally gender neutral and actually has important lessons (even actual plot). Those two factors alone usually make it watchable but it goes much further in respect to being a great show. Yes, the main character is thrown into some dangerous situations, but it is a action comedy after all. I could get into details but that would be unnecessary. Simply put, it has lessons, it has morals, and it has heart. Only inappropriate part iv seen was probably a few uses for spit, but...hey comedic relief.
Adult Written byKinopis June 30, 2014

My Opinion

For me, I think the series give some sort of a lesson for ever single episode. What really got me is when Steven wanted Garnet to play in the arcade and have fun with digital games. This leads to gaming addiction when Garnet didn't snap out of it, until Steven broke the machine. Which relates to me. And it also makes you wonder what these gems really mean; I searched for rose quartz ( Steven's mom) and it meant the stone of love or something else... This is a great show by far and I hope they make more of this type of cartoons.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, 10, 13, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 February 26, 2015

perfect for age 2 and up

says common sense
Adult Written byNoahF 1 February 16, 2015

A renaissance in CN programming

I was not expecting to be a fan on Steven Universe, but I'm 18 and I'm even more of a fan than my 9 year old brother. Steven Universe is a fantastic, paradigm shifting show for Cartoon Network. It works on so many levels. Smaller kids can enjoy the flashy art and cool animation, tweens and younger teens can enjoy a lot of the jokes, and older viewers (parents, older siblings, others) will be able to enjoy the deeper sci-fi plot that works out to more of a drama than a run-of-the-mill Cartoon Network show. In later episodes, you find out the Crystal Gems actually cut themselves off from their home planet because their kind tried to do "something bad" to the Earth. All the monsters they fight used to be like them, and whatnot. The show is the first to have an overarching story and it's really good. The voice acting is phenomenal and one of my favourite parts about the show is the music used in it. The composers for the show, a video game music making duo called Aivi and Surasshu, create such poignant pieces that can really swing the mood of the show, whether it's elegant piano pieces during a sword fight, or brilliant, moving violin pieces when a back story of Steven's mother, the late Rose Quartz, is revealed. Long story short, seriously. Watch this show. It is brilliant, funny, and just all around a great watch.
Adult Written byvitez5 May 31, 2015

its great !!!!!

Has lots of great charters that provide a spectrum of entertainment and positive implications embraced throught the show.
Adult Written byestherf May 10, 2015

I think this is a great cartoon, one of the best we've seen in the last decade. I agree with the website's 10 age rating (although there are a huge chunk of fans who are wayyy above that). Very briefly, the show is about a kid named Steven who works with three gems from space (who also double as mother figures) to fight off evil. First off, Steven himself looks at least 9 or 10, and his caregivers are arguably grown women. There is a lot of fighting, a few scenes brink on violence. I also agree with commonsensemedia about the innuendos. However, the main cast is diverse in appearance and personality, and Steven himself is a little ball of fun, so all kids can relate to some aspect(s) of the characters. There is an underlying overall plot to the series, which is a relief to see because many cartoons don't have that and rely more on a episode-by-episode basis to tell a story. So far, the plot/story grows more complex with every few episodes. I think this shows great writing. At first glance this show seems a lot like Adventure Time, but there are many nuances between each and they are distinctly different once you actually watch them, and who knows, it might actually turn out to be more popular than Adventure Time. I feel like everyone of the appropriate age can really get something out of this show.