Parent reviews for Supernanny

Supernanny Poster Image

Maybe don't check this out.

As a person, I can say this isn't the best show. The advice and tips are useful, but it's easy to copy the violent behavior it shows.

Kids, Stay in the Nursery for This One

This is another show that's good, but definitely not for children. Jo Frost knows her stuff, and it shows. The show's most positive point is that families truly come out appreciating each other more and behaving better toward each other after using her techniques. And Jo will pull no punches if a parent is lazy, a pushover, or abusive. The danger to kids is that they will either think the behavior is funny and/or imitable (backtalking teenagers, aggressive, foul-mouthed children), or that they will absorb negative messages about their own parents. For example, one thing I don't agree with in this show is, the father is rarely if ever a positive leader in his home. He is either a pushover, a whiny extra child, or a blowhard who smacks his kids around and acts like his wife should stay in the kitchen. Meanwhile, the wives can be pretty whiny, aggressive, or doormat-ish themselves. These are not families, at least in the beginning stage, that discerning parents, especially those of the Judeo-Christian persuasion, should ever emulate. On another note, on the two occasions Christianity plays a role, it's negative (one mon says "I forgive you" while spanking her daughter; the other Christian parent is a preacher who doesn't step up to the plate at home). Heavy language is bleeped, but there are instances of milder profanities and negative words, even down to a three-year-old threatening his mom. Kids kick, hit, bite, and in general beat each other up, and yes, I do consider spanking negative. (One father repeatedly smacks children with his belt on camera). In short: parents and mature teens can watch, and as noted, they can learn valuable techniques from Jo. But kids, you're not yet ready for this nanny.

good for 8-9+ good messages. READ

nice show loved it until they took it of my tv pack with dish... but toddlers may mimick the naughty behaviour... older kids, though, may mimick the positive turnouts as they have a better understanding of the concept of the reality show.

Best TV show's for familys!

I absolutely love Super-Nanny! BEFORE My husband and I have our 1st we watch super-nanny for tips, what to do's and what not to do's. Great role model

damaging show

The supernanny advocates a particularly rigid, violent, and controlling form of parenting. She makes the parents believe they are bad parents if they are not constantly controlling and punishing their children. There is little thought into why they children are behaving as they do, only into punishing them until they behave the way adults want them to. She is not interested in long term issues or even the overall well being of the children and parents. I find this show particularly damaging because it is uncritically being marketed as a wholesome, educational show.

Shows Kids How to Misbehave

I used to think it'd be a great idea to watch this show with the kids, until I noticed my daughter mimicking some of the bad behavior of the kids on the show. So, needless to say, we stopped watching it with the kids INSTANTLY. My kids are pretty young (3 and 15 mos), so I didn't want them picking up any bad habits. My daughter (3) would see a kid misbehaving on the show and say stuff like "He's going to get in big trouble!" So at first, I thought it'd be a good way to show her how NOT to behave. But after awhile, she started to tell me "no" and tell her brother to "shut up." After seeing some kids on the show do that. So I think the show would be ok for older children, but my kids are just too young.

We watch this show together

Our family loves this show. I've been watching it with my kids since they were little. We talk about the families and how they could be doing things better to get along as a family. We discuss the methods of discipline and how the moms and dads could get the kids to behave, and how the kids should act. We all take something away from watching the show for our own family.
not rated for age

I learn a lot from SuperNanny

My daughter, who is almost 7, and I enjoy watching SuperNanny. I enjoy because I can learn from her. And I am also thankful when I watch that I am not on the show. My daughter enjoys watching it with me and never looses interest in it. I think kids can watch it but it depends on the child, also. It's something that you should watch with your kids if they are going to watch it. They shouldn't watch by themselves, they might get some ideas from the kids on the show.
not rated for age

teaches many good parenting skills

can't believe so many parents are really like this but it's great someone is willing to get involved and teach them.