Parent reviews for Sweet Magnolias

Sweet Magnolias Poster Image

Warning for teens

This show started out seeming very sweet and appropriate for teens. However, by about the 7th episode the main character is shown having sex with another main character on the second date. She is still married (divorce is pending) and the scene is more graphic than I would ever want my teens watching or thinking is appropriate. There is also conversation among friends about her having sex, not being afraid to just "go for it" and not to think about it too much, just to have fun. They also show what lingerie she will be wearing on the date she plans to have sex on. Very disappointed that the show went this route and we will not be watching anymore.

4 people found this helpful.

TERRIBLE ACTING

It's clean entertainment that tries and fails to be the new Gilmore Girls. Acting is unbelievable and the show is predictable. Mild Language including use of son of a b****h . Suitable for kids 12+ but not recommended.
2 people found this helpful.

Sweet story

The friendships in this show are beautiful, funny, and heartwarming. The stories of each of the main characters develop through each episode and draw you into their lives. They handle tough topics well overall. I did 13+ because there's some sex stuff (there's one scene that we just had to fast forward) and the main women often encourage casual sex and jumping into sex quickly. There's drinking in every episode (margarita night).

Touching sweet drama series

Such a cute show with a beautiful story. Found myself tearing up often. However, there is SO much consumerism, it’s actually funny. I mean I guess Netflix needed the extra money or something in order to hire the medium tier semi-recognizable actors, but wow some moments really felt like an infomercial.

Great women’s show

This a great show set in the South about women uplifting other women through life’s struggles!! A feel good show love it!!

Great watch!

- There is drinking in nearly every episode because the main characters have a routine "margarita night" weekly. - One of the main characters is going through a divorce with a man who cheated on her and got his mistress pregnant. - The main character starts dating someone before the divorce is finalized. - There are many kissing scenes and one sex scene I want to say in episode 7 or 8 (does not show much), but keep this in mind if watching with children. Other than what I mentioned, it's a pretty clean show which is very hard to find nowadays. It's lighthearted and has a great story line!!

A cleaner version of Gilmore Girls

"Sweet" is a great title for this show. I'd recommend it. Strong female leads offer plenty of positive role-models for women as they are all strong, self-assured, and fiercely loyal. Women make up every single significant role in the show with men in supporting roles. Only two beefs. Although the girls claim to be good Christian women, the are pretty quick to get into bed with their objects of affection: sex on the second date isn't exactly the model I want for my girls and certainly isn't consistent with a Christian ethic. They're also all divorced from toxic men. Which leads to my biggest (and final) beef: the male representation in the show isn't so hot. They're largely feminized (apart from the sous chef) and features the requisite gay couple (who kiss at a bar and seems an odd choice considering the strength of the female roles). All the villains in the show - with only one exception - are males. The girls drink in every episode.

Sweet

Sweet portrayal of female friendships Funny Mild language Occasional kissing so far