All parent member reviews for Switched at Birth

Parent of a 16 year old Written bygolfvilla July 19, 2013

Very Discouraging: The main charcter (a minor) decides to have sex with her older boyfriend.

My daughter and I loved this show mainly because I am losing my hearing and it helped us learn ASL together while being entertained. We were both very disappointed at the last episode and decided not to watch the show any more. It has gone the way of most shows on the ABC Family channel which seems to take pride in showing minors experimenting with sex. In the last episode, Bay (a minor) decides to go ahead and pursue her encounter in the bedroom of her new boyfriend who just returned from Afghanistan. Legally, he would be charged as a sexual predator. Very sad! This was a great show. Bay had even asked advise from her half sister (also a minor) who told Bay how great her first encounter was and advised her to pursue her first sexual encounter.
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byLightOfTruth June 2, 2014

Not Wholesome Entertainment - Christians Beware!

ASL and Deaf Culture being a huge part of the show were the bait that intrigued me enough to begin watching "Switched at Birth." The acting was decent and it generally had a compelling story line. However, I was appalled by the frequency of sexual promiscuity and other immoral behavior being touted as normal and appropriate. In fact, traditional Christian values were presented as outdated and even unhealthy! Besides the adult characters having lots of sex outside of marriage and committing adultery, the teenaged characters fornicate frequently. At 15 years old, Bay attempts to have sex with a 19 year-old because she feels the need to get rid of her virginity as she is made to feel ashamed that she is still a virgin. Toby's AND Nikki's parents encourage them to have sex instead of waiting until they are married even though Nikki is a Christian and has pledged to save herself until after she is married. As the only Christian character on the show, Nikki is portrayed in a very negative light. Sadly, all the "voices of reason" persuade Nikki to fornicate with Toby before they are married and when they decide to marry, their marriage is regarded as a huge mistake because they are 19 years old. This show made me sick with all the immoral behavior it promoted. I would never want my children to watch this show - at ANY age! Children are very impressionable and are looking for role models in their favorite shows to emulate. I would be heartbroken if my children patterned their lives after ANY of the main characters in "Switched at Birth."
Parent Written byJanieDough September 8, 2014

I enjoyed watching it myself during the first season. However I quit watching in season 3. Too much teen sex and it seems to condone teen sex as normal and unavoidable behavior. Sorry but I would like to teach my kids to wait. It shows under age drinking and a lot of lying and rebellious behavior. The made the Christian girl, who claimed to believe with her whole heart, date and even marry an unbeliever which is unbiblical. Then she turns from her faith just because her dad sold drugs. She has sex before marriage when she only had one day to go? What kind of message is that? She is made fun of by main characters who call her "churchy" as if it' makes her a freak. No longer a fan of this at all.
Parent Written byskylivmom September 6, 2011

Great show for 12 and up with parent discussion

I love many aspects of this show for my 12 year-old daughter. The teens (and parents for that matter) aren't perfect and don't always get along or make the best decisions, but it usually ends up with a great message about tolerance (for the deaf, each others imperfections, or differing parenting philosophies). This is the most mature show my daughter has watched, and it has given us a lot to discuss about decision making. One place where I think the review is a bit off is in regards to the sexual content - it shows one of the moms in bed with a man she is recently dating and one scene involves the 15 year-old main character trying to get her new crush to sleep with her. They don't, but it's because he stops her by saying he "doesn't have anything". Kind of too bad for the middle school set that the main character is willing to impulsively decide to have sex, even though it doesn't actually happen.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

ok

Expect some rebellious teen behavior (some of which is criminal and goes unchecked), references to drinking and pot, and language ("h-ll" and "d-mn," mostly).
Parent Written byMewmewfancycakes January 30, 2012

Good show.

Great show. Some actions are questionable but otherwise good. Deals with life situations. This show poses a positive message and has a good role model. I would not let anyone under 12 watch this unless a mature 11 year old. Although it says TV-14 I let my 12 year old watch it.
Parent of an infant, infant, and 8 year old Written by24yroldmommyof3 June 21, 2011

I personally like the show

I think this show is entertaining. My daughter likes and im fine with her watching it. Some cuss words but nothing too major. Minor flirting and kissing. I dont think there is anything wrong with this show. Alot of drama within the family and with legal stuff.
Adult Written bymariyaa August 15, 2015

depends on the child

Depending on the maturity of the child however in some cases I believe there should still be limits.
Adult Written byperfectsense December 4, 2011

Educator and Parent Written bycolleenm March 3, 2015

Good drama but too much sex

I'm disappointed with the review given by Common Sense Media on this one. Usually you are spot on. The sexual content is clearly more than just some flirting and kissing, as is shown on the Netflix description. The adults are jumping in and out of bed (and some of this is clearly shown on screen), and the teens are in situations that imply they may or may not be sexually active. SPOILER ALERT: after several episodes it is finally revealed that Bay is a virgin, but you'd never know it the way she "almost" has sex with her many boyfriends in the story. And the reason she is still a virgin doesn't seem to be conscience, but missed opportunity. It's too bad that we can't have a good drama that also puts forth good morals.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byliamg1 November 9, 2014

Conversation provoking family show

We first started watching this show because my daughter is hard of hearing and we liked the ASL element. The writing and acting is a little cheesy and melodramatic, but I really love the way they handle teen issues like sex, drugs, and bullying. The young women in the show are shown as strong and self aware but far from perfect. Sex is shown as complicated and something that should not be taken lightly, but at the same time something that can be a fulfilling part of a relationship once you're ready. Episodes have lots of plot points that can be used to have further discussions with your kids. I wish there were more shows like this on TV.
Adult Written byaliinwonderland 430 July 2, 2015

omg 14!

I've been watching this show since I was 11 with my mom and best friend. It is such a great show with such a great message. This show inspired me and my friend to learn sign language. We are not fluent in it yet though lol. This show in the last season SPOILER ALERT does talk about rape. Bay one of the main characters gets drunk really drunk and has sex with a guy (her ex) that she doesn't remember saying yes to. It also has teen sex in it but MOST if not all the time they are a strong couple. There is almost no violence. Nothing more then a few punches. Overall great show. It's also a great conversation starter for kids and parents to talk about a lot of stuff. I recommend this show to anyone who is ready to watch an amazing life changing show.
Adult Written byaggieamy93 January 8, 2015

Started out good now REALLY inappropriate

We have been watching this the past few months from season 1 to current. Started out good. Teen issues, drama...good talking points to watch with kids to give feedback on the issues. LOVE the deaf aspect. Cast is great! But as each season rolls out, everything is about going immediately one relationship to next, sex, inappropriate relationships. Underage kids repeatedly drinking alcohol. No real consequences for behaviors. Hope they turn it around with new season or they've lost us. It's turned into an adult show with teens as main characters. Now they are going off to college, I only expect it to get worse.
Adult Written bycherie84 April 29, 2012

Lame!

lame , very lame and the acting sucks...so its not a very effective show!