Parent reviews for Switched at Birth

Family drama's responsible messages are good for teens.

Wondering if Switched at Birth is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Parent of a 13 and 17-year-old Written byLightOfTruth June 2, 2014

Not Wholesome Entertainment - Christians Beware!

ASL and Deaf Culture being a huge part of the show were the bait that intrigued me enough to begin watching "Switched at Birth." The acting was decent and it generally had a compelling story line. However, I was appalled by the frequency of sexual promiscuity and other immoral behavior being touted as normal and appropriate. In fact, traditional Christian values were presented as outdated and even unhealthy!

Besides the adult characters having lots of sex outside of marriage and committing adultery, the teenaged characters fornicate frequently. At 15 years old, Bay attempts to have sex with a 19 year-old because she feels the need to get rid of her virginity as she is made to feel ashamed that she is still a virgin. Toby's AND Nikki's parents encourage them to have sex instead of waiting until they are married even though Nikki is a Christian and has pledged to save herself until after she is married. As the only Christian character on the show, Nikki is portrayed in a very negative light. Sadly, all the "voices of reason" persuade Nikki to fornicate with Toby before they are married and when they decide to marry, their marriage is regarded as a huge mistake because they are 19 years old.

This show made me sick with all the immoral behavior it promoted. I would never want my children to watch this show - at ANY age! Children are very impressionable and are looking for role models in their favorite shows to emulate. I would be heartbroken if my children patterned their lives after ANY of the main characters in "Switched at Birth."

Parent Written byJanieDough September 8, 2014
I enjoyed watching it myself during the first season. However I quit watching in season 3. Too much teen sex and it seems to condone teen sex as normal and unavoidable behavior. Sorry but I would like to teach my kids to wait. It shows under age drinking and a lot of lying and rebellious behavior. The made the Christian girl, who claimed to believe with her whole heart, date and even marry an unbeliever which is unbiblical. Then she turns from her faith just because her dad sold drugs. She has sex before marriage when she only had one day to go? What kind of message is that? She is made fun of by main characters who call her "churchy" as if it' makes her a freak. No longer a fan of this at all.
Parent Written byskylivmom September 6, 2011

Great show for 12 and up with parent discussion

I love many aspects of this show for my 12 year-old daughter. The teens (and parents for that matter) aren't perfect and don't always get along or make the best decisions, but it usually ends up with a great message about tolerance (for the deaf, each others imperfections, or differing parenting philosophies). This is the most mature show my daughter has watched, and it has given us a lot to discuss about decision making. One place where I think the review is a bit off is in regards to the sexual content - it shows one of the moms in bed with a man she is recently dating and one scene involves the 15 year-old main character trying to get her new crush to sleep with her. They don't, but it's because he stops her by saying he "doesn't have anything". Kind of too bad for the middle school set that the main character is willing to impulsively decide to have sex, even though it doesn't actually happen.

Adult Written bymariyaa August 15, 2015

A good show for kids to learn ASL.

I think that this is a good show to teach kids to appreciate their parents and to learn sign language which is vital, plus knowing the importance of it and showing sorrow and pity for deaf and hard of hearing people. losing your hearing is a big thing. It's a part of your senses and to lose one of them or more is not just scary.

Parent of a 16-year-old Written bygolfvilla July 19, 2013

Very Discouraging: The main charcter (a minor) decides to have sex with her older boyfriend.

My daughter and I loved this show mainly because I am losing my hearing and it helped us learn ASL together while being entertained. We were both very disappointed at the last episode and decided not to watch the show any more. It has gone the way of most shows on the ABC Family channel which seems to take pride in showing minors experimenting with sex. In the last episode, Bay (a minor) decides to go ahead and pursue her encounter in the bedroom of her new boyfriend who just returned from Afghanistan. Legally, he would be charged as a sexual predator. Very sad! This was a great show. Bay had even asked advise from her half sister (also a minor) who told Bay how great her first encounter was and advised her to pursue her first sexual encounter.

Parent of an infant, infant, and 8-year-old Written by24yroldmommyof3 June 21, 2011

I personally like the show

I think this show is entertaining. My daughter likes and im fine with her watching it. Some cuss words but nothing too major. Minor flirting and kissing. I dont think there is anything wrong with this show. Alot of drama within the family and with legal stuff.

Adult Written byMewmewfancycakes January 30, 2012

Good show.

Great show. Some actions are questionable but otherwise good. Deals with life situations. This show poses a positive message and has a good role model. I would not let anyone under 12 watch this unless a mature 11 year old. Although it says TV-14 I let my 12 year old watch it.

Adult Written bycolleenm March 3, 2015

Good drama but too much sex

I'm disappointed with the review given by Common Sense Media on this one. Usually you are spot on. The sexual content is clearly more than just some flirting and kissing, as is shown on the Netflix description. The adults are jumping in and out of bed (and some of this is clearly shown on screen), and the teens are in situations that imply they may or may not be sexually active. SPOILER ALERT: after several episodes it is finally revealed that Bay is a virgin, but you'd never know it the way she "almost" has sex with her many boyfriends in the story. And the reason she is still a virgin doesn't seem to be conscience, but missed opportunity. It's too bad that we can't have a good drama that also puts forth good morals.

Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byliamg1 November 9, 2014

Conversation provoking family show

We first started watching this show because my daughter is hard of hearing and we liked the ASL element. The writing and acting is a little cheesy and melodramatic, but I really love the way they handle teen issues like sex, drugs, and bullying. The young women in the show are shown as strong and self aware but far from perfect. Sex is shown as complicated and something that should not be taken lightly, but at the same time something that can be a fulfilling part of a relationship once you're ready. Episodes have lots of plot points that can be used to have further discussions with your kids. I wish there were more shows like this on TV.

Adult Written byJchap April 7, 2019

Terrible moral values

Not sure who on here thinks this is wholesome for teens. It is dressed up that way, with a certain amount of cheese, but lacks values. The teens all sleep around, which is bad enough but cheat on their steady boyfriend/girlfriends. One of the teens obtains the “morning after pill”, and is chastised by her parents like its a D on a math test. Another story line shows a distraught teen who destroys property but then lies to the law to cover it up so she wont go to jail. A drunk teen falsely accuses a boy of raping her because she was in a blackout. Sending a message that if YOU are a female and choose to get drunk, and dont remember, you MUST be a victim. The worst possible messaging to young women about not being responsible for their own actions. The teens are bratty and entitled. The adults enable it all and are poor role models, being prone to accuse and react. I guess for today’s television it is par for the course, but I wouldnt exactly call this show wholesome. The biggest joke is that it was aired on ABC “Family”. I guess the concept of what is appropriate for families has greatly changed.

Adult Written byNatalia curtas March 5, 2019

awesome

i think that it is ok for kids above 11 because the only word that pops up is hell and damn
Parent of a 12-year-old Written byThebigfamily February 13, 2019

For mature kids only

It has some seductive sense and some sensitive subjects including some suicide talk in a few episodes about a brother, some sex ,condoms, shirtless girls and boys. And some weed in one episode even Cocaine. It depends on the maturity of the child really.

Adult Written byAlisa_33 December 29, 2018

Honestly it’s really good

I think this show is pretty good I know there is some sex and other things but it is also very entertaining plus younger kids probably won’t understand the sexual stuff and I like it because in all the shows these days there is a lot of sex but this show doesn’t have a lot! I have watched all of it at least 4 times I definitely recommend for teens!

Adult Written byanna_Kennish August 30, 2018

Switched at birth

I think of Switched at birth is one favorite on Netflix to watch, my favorite Actress are Constance Marie , Gilles Marini, and Venessa Marino

Adult Written byMrs. A.T. August 15, 2018

Culture Gone Crazy

Okay, this show is good in that it promotes the the deaf community. However, it also promotes teen sex, and minors sleeping with adults, which is against the law!! Most of the kids lie, cheat, and sleep around with various friends of friends. Kids are not taught how to be responsible adults, and the parents are also clueless about life, etc. A very "screwed" up show, like most in our culture.

Adult Written byVicky F. March 4, 2018

Whores at Birth

I really despise the director, in the direction he was going through with the storyline. The plot sucked. It is really disappointing how everyone, all the characters are hooking up with each other. This show has no morals. As viewers we can all agree...well most of us, that we all expected Season 1 to be a bit more..sweet to watch, to say the least. I would not let my teenage kids or anyone else watch this. End of story. This show can really piss someone off. There are better shows to watch out there.
Parent Written byVirginia C. June 13, 2017

Could have had a home run here..with a few less sexual home runs.

Good plot, compelling and interesting characters. There are many messages and it does a good job by today's standards of showing multiple sides to an issue. However it really could have cut a lot of the sexual scenes. While I'm sure the teens loved it was just unnecessary if they wanted a larger audience. As a parent you have to play referee here a bit "that parent should have just been honest". "That girl needs some self esteem". This is teen and adult drama to the max but I don't want to imply it doesn't have value. It has many good things going for it. I so wish they had just behaved a little better at times. Its hard to put an age on it. A secure teen would understand it for the drama it is and not feel they need to actually behave that way themselves. A teen who is not grounded and who may think that is normal parent and teen behavior could be influenced. The sad part is, there were many terrific messages and a great exposure to deaf culture and ASL although I'm sure a lot of deaf people were hoping we didn't take some of the characters discrimination against hearing people as a valid or accurate representation of their views. Even after I said all this it was very entertaining.

Adult Written byKaci K. March 6, 2017

Co-parenting emotions and a beautiful language.

This is amazing. Sharing the emotions from co-parenting AND sharing a beautiful language. Best show ever.
Adult Written byCaprice D. January 26, 2017

They portray deaf people to be very hateful and cruel toward hearing people which I think is a double standard and wrong.

I love the show the only thing I don't like is how the non hearing people in the show hate hearing people and talk down to them and call us "stupid" or ignorant or discriminating. The only people who are discriminating are the deaf people. I have never in my life thought anything bad about deaf people but they hate hearing people so much it just sends a bad message about who they are. It infuriates me, just because not everyone knows how to sign or wants to learn because they don't have any deaf people in their life does not make them dumb. If they didn't portray this hatred so much I would appreciate the message they are putting out. And now maybe I have a more negative view on deaf people from what I've seen. But I'm not going to discriminate every deaf person because everyone is different.
Adult Written byErzy F. September 11, 2016

Attempts to normalize sex between adult men and underage girls.

I'm midway through the second season (on Netflix), and, so far, there have been two storylines that positively depict sex between men in their 20s and girls under 18, with no real consequences. The only negative adult reaction to the first (between a man in his late 20s and a 16 year-old girl) was the difficulty the girl would face dating her boss. You can say that this presents opportunities for discussion, but why should parents be in the position of discussing criminal behavior?