Parent reviews for Texas Rising

Texas Revolution docudrama is entertaining but gritty.

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byweaslea May 26, 2015

Not Texas history if that's what you want...

I was an archaeologist/park ranger for TPWD, and I worked on historical sites where Texas was born. If you really want to learn about Texas history, I recommend "Gone to Texas" by Randolph Mike Campbell, a large history book that covers everything or James Mitchener for a novel of Texas' history. "Lone Star" by Fehrenbach is also well written and informative. "Texas History for Kids" is good for children and has activities that can help make learning fun. There are a great many books on the Texas Rangers, and there is a Texas Ranger museum in Waco, Texas. I would say that if you have an interest in the Rangers, and are in the area be sure to go! The museum has a website and research center and are really nice folks. Get in touch with them & they can recommend good resources for you & your family.
I wouldn't recommend this particular show because it has many, many historical inaccuracies and geographical "oops!"es --- read "Geography of Texas" on Wikipedia to learn that Texas has many regions, but the mountains and desert are in far west Texas, not on the coastal gulf plain where West Columbia and Washington on the Brazos are located, and San Antonio is in the hill country. (those are some sites you can visit or google from home!) If you just want entertainment for teens and adults, then it is okay. If you show this to grade school or tweens, I think the violence, sexual situations, and historical inaccuracies would be a problem. If you do watch this with your family after reading the books above, you could have a discussion about how Hollywood's Texas history is different from what you read.