Kid reviews for The Amazing World of Gumball

The Amazing World of Gumball Poster Image

Extremely wacky, good-natured cartoon for any age, great to watch when you're bored!

This sex-and-profanity-free toon is a spawning ground for everything funny and goofy!

1 person found this helpful.

Certainly an "Amazing" show.

I must admit. When I was younger, I saw this cartoon as just another obnoxious TTG predecessor. But, BOY. Was I blown back by the diversity of characters, the different animation styles, appealing backgrounds, cute stories, and downright hillarious and charming main characters. The Amazing World of Gumball centers around the Watterson family, a rather "odd" family composed of 2 cats, 2 rabbits and a walking goldfish whom i'm certain we all know the names of. It mainly follows Gumball's zany shenanigans as he lives the suburban life in the town of Elmore. The show manages to provide fantastic slapstick episodes, while still being able to manage a simple plot at the same time. Occasionally the writers will slip in jokes for the older audiences, not too obvious for kids to notice but enough to make a teen like me and others around my age crack a smile. Yes, I was quite shocked to see a few characters on certain episodes naked (blurred-out, of course) as i'd never really see something like that in a typical kid's cartoon before. Just somrthing I thought was worth mentioning for now to describe how different TAWOG is compared to the more recent...stuff CN had decided to air (I'm looking straight at you, TTG and PPG 2016). It does have its fair share of dirty humour and quite suspicious moments, which I will refrain from mentioning here. If you know, you know. However, when it does play its serious episode card, the crew can certainly nail it. The Choices had me shed quite a few tears, and The Shell perfectly depicts what was once an unsteady bond to a now-blooming relationship between two characters. Both of these episodes are beautifully written and directed. Some others that might fit into this category include The Origins (1 & 2), The Disaster and its successor, The Rerun. Thankfully these aren't the only "good" episodes TAWOG has in store. Other clips may not be as serious or heart-warming, but rather something to crack up to. A great contender for this would most likely be something much like The Joy. The score can certainly astound one too. Take a listen to some of the last pieces from the original soundtrack for The Shell. You've got near-Disney content right on your hands. And yes, a very small minority may argue that show show is bad. In some occasions, even claiming it to be "Worse than Teen Titans Go" (Umbelievable, right? Considering that atrocity is even still on air.) These people claim mainly the crude jokes and offsetting role models throw TAWOG out of balance. However, these claims are (mostly) invalid. Our first issue with crude jokes, as said before, will fly over a younger child's head without echo. Also, please consider that in certain scenes (the Tent Scene, for example) there is NO NEED AT ALL to explain the disturbing context to a kid. Sure, you can shield them, but that's not really a good reason to bash on a show. They still won't get it. Bad role models were the second claim most people made when criticizing TAWOG. This I must admit was semi-true. There's a scene in The Limit when the kids attempt to trick Nicole into biying sweets for them at the start of the episode, only to fall into mere tantrums when the overworked mother refuses to purchase them. But this is where the art of recognizing a character's flaws comes into action. Heck, even Gumball, the MAIN CHARACTER's own flaws are mocked and ridiculed by his schoolmates, parents and even his own brother, Darwin! It's a common consistency the show wants to rub in your face, every single episode! That Gumball wants to intrude into other people's lives, foolishly thinking the world "revolves around him" (The Others supports this ideal to a HEAVY extent) Of course nobody in the show is going to be perfect, and that's perfectly fine! Even at the end of The Limit, the kids realize the errors in their ways when Nicole snaps, and they all reconcile. I'm certain the younger audiences can easily grasp the concept that a character who is constantly pointed out for his actions isn't a good role model, but still makes for an entertaining and funny protagonist in the show. I won't spoil too much about the series, so I'll leave it at that. It was tough to decide on a rating with this one, but I ended up with 12+ as some humour may not be comprehensible for younger audiences. I'd probably consider this as a "full-experience rating"? Eh, I don't know. At least when I first saw the show the dark jokes flew over my head. I only really got to fully enjoy TAWOG when I grew older. However I still believe this should remain a classic that any age can enjoy, including adults. In short, it's probably one of CN's best cartoons they've produced during this era, featuring both wacky humour and deep, heartfelt moments. I highly recommend giving TAWOG a watch.

i would say its rated pg there is some blurred nude and violence but to sum it up its a good show i watch it do this day i would really recommend it

I love it!

I love this show and I have been watching it since I was about 6 or 7. The show is obnoxious but it's made for children so what do you expect? It doesn't really have any educational value but it's a cartoon so you can't really expect it to. I also can almost promise you, your kids probably aren't going to understand the dark humor.