Parent reviews for The Cosby Show

The Cosby Show Poster Image

A classic

Many knows this show so no intro. Watch this with your family, and mind some out of context. But this show also got overshadowed by the Bill Cosby incident few years ago. In consumerism Little Bill toys as Defunctland said, and Little Bill.

Solid comedy with some unfortunate views on sex

This is a high-quality sitcom, but the father's attitude towards young women's sexuality is dated, to put it mildly. I would wait till kids are old enough to have a healthier attitude already in place and to discuss the dated views expressed on the show.

I rate this for all ages

Common Sense Media needs to come up with "Appropriate for All Ages" rating.

Family favorite!

We have introduced Cosby show to our kids recently after growing up on it ourselves. They LOVE it! We watch it together as a family and it is one their favorite things to do! The first season (and 2nd/3rd season) is the best for young kids. My kids LOVED that they are close to Rudi's age (at least for the 1st couple seasons). As the Huxtable kids get older in later seasons, there are episodes that have slightly older themes (Vanessa is pure- pressured into playing a drinking game with friends, etc.) but Cliff and Clare Huxtable show great parenting even in these episodes. Since we watch this as a family, we will stop the show occasionally to ask questions about themes or topics - this show offers a GREAT dialog opportunity to discuss ideas and values that our family has. Favorite episodes... Theo wants to move out so the family shows him 24 hours of what it is like living on "his own" (Season 1) Theo goes to college and learns he has dyslexia (great conversation about learning challenges) For the generation that grew up on Cosby, we have enjoyed seeing it again, now as adults. We are surprised and humored that on more than one occasion, we have watched an episode and our kids have pointed out that we say/do things similar to the Huxtable parents. Apparently we learned some of our parenting techniques in the 80s from this show.

Great show!

Positive life lessons. This show shows the ideal family life. Both parents in the household. Kids trying to sneak around and get into mischief. Love it!

Cosby had great lessons to teach back then but not anymore.

The show was a hallmark of African American comedy. It highlights common family problems like conflicts among siblings, children having bullying problems, a dad meeting his daughter's new boyfriend, a teenage son moving off to college, etc. You can learn many valuable lessons. It used to be played on Nick @ Note but don't expect to ever see Nick endorse anything Cosby nowadays. The allegations brought against him that claim that he was a seriel rapist have incriminated him. He went from America's Dad to America's Celebrity Criminal. If your kids have heard about Cosby's misconduct from the news, please keep this one away from them. The show is perfect for any age but Cosby's lacsivious advances toward drugged women make him a questionable role model for anyone!

one of the best shows ever made

Bill Cosby knew exactly what he was doing. Although it's more common to see black people in professional jobs on tv now than it used to be, when this show premiered in 1984 this was rare. As for family shows about black families, this was one of the first such shows, and probably the first, to show the parents in upper-middle class jobs. While there are occasional episodes about the civil rights movement and other issues of importance to blacks, as well as occasional displays of African art and the like- all of which provide great insight and a potential springboard for viewers to find out more- most episodes are about things that can happen to any kid or family of any race, ensuring the show's extremely broad appeal. Cliff and Clair are calm with their children- most of the time anyway- and instill in them such values as hard work and honesty. There even were a few episodes where Bill Cosby's creative approach to education was seen. And, while Cliff and Clair introduce their children to jazz, they also let them listen to "their own" music. In other words, they know where to draw the line. The only honest criticism that can be made- if indeed any can be made- is the parents' attitude toward working class jobs. On one hand, whenever such characters appear on the show, they're portrayed in a positive light. On the other hand, the parents talk their children out of such jobs. This inconsistency makes it hard to tell what the parents- and Bill Cosby and the show's producers- think about such people and such jobs. A bit of inconsistency here. Still, that's just one small problem in a great show. Children ought to discover this show.

Caution

though in general this show seems fine. I think that you should sit down and watch it with your kids. What may be appropriate for some kids at a certain age may not be for another. There is an episode I just watched recently where Vanessa plays a drinking game with her girlfriends.

awesome!

Kissing between teenagers and their significant others, but nothing more. While not explicitly educational, kids might pick up on a few things about jazz or the civil rights era, plus great social lessons. Strong families, the importance of positive communication, the value of quality time spent with kids, taking responsibility for your actions, being proud of who you are, treating people fairly, etc.