Parent reviews for The Good Doctor

Doc on autism spectrum defies prejudices in medical drama.

Adult Written byAl110204 January 30, 2019

Great show. Not for kids

This is a great show, but in the most recent episodes there is so much sex and discussion about sex that it should not be for anyone younger than 16. The only other thing is the constant blood and guts of surgeries. Most procedures end in success but there are still a lot of exceptions. If you are considering watching this with your kids, please don’t, unless they are 16. Overall this is a great show and even better morals. Also, there is a little swearing but not too much.

Adult Written bychrisman28 September 25, 2017

i dont get the 3 star review

I watched this show ahead of the premeire and I absolutely loved what I saw I feel it can only get better from here the lead is stupendous and very talented his character is a good example of someone who is a pure miracle and I believe this is going to make Monday prime time television great again for the first time In a couple of years I am excited about Monday night tv again and its all thanks to dr shaun murphy

Parent Written byFancy F. October 24, 2017

Love love it

My little brother loves this show. It gives him hope! He’s autism as well! It’s a good show my whole family and I watch it and are excited for Monday’s now!
Adult Written byMizzSaura June 9, 2020

Meh

I don't think the black people who get surgery are treated fairly. There's hardly any black people on the show at all.
Adult Written byalarmed January 28, 2020

Disappointing

There seems to be a trend in TV show that there just HAS to be sex scenes/conversations.

Can't anyone just tell a story without injecting sex into the story line?
I agree with Officer Dad and Mysam.

Adult Written byiluvlabs0 October 7, 2017

Excellent family television!

My thirteen-year-old daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. There is a bit of tough in the surgical scenes. The age of appropriateness would be determined by the teen's ability to stomach the surgery. I love the educational value of introducing the inclusion of people with differences and disabilities. Great messages!!

Adult Written byTiffanie329 February 1, 2021

Was really good until every single episode became about sex

I was really enjoying this series. I love medical science. It was a show I couldn't stop binging, until about season 3. Everything then became about sex. I definitely understand shows adding that in, especially to show characters evolving in their relationship, but it is like EVERY single episode now. I feel like the medical stuff is just a backstory now to Shaun trying to and having sex. It almost feels wrong to watching this show. I just started season four and was actually intrigued for this season, because it is present day and of course it skips right to trying to have video sex. Can the show please just go back to being about interesting medical cases? We get it, they are having sex! Let's stop making every episode about it!!!

Adult Written by3Arin3 September 13, 2020

Dr. Murphy Is An Inspiration

This show is the first time I've seen someone in media that I feel like I can relate to. I'm on the spectrum, as Dr. Murphy is, and I get excited everytime I feel a connection with his reactions or mannerisms.

For background on me, I'm 18 and watch the show with my fiance's mother (we call Shaun "the puppy" and "the babey" because we consider him precious), I was diagnosed with autism at 17 and a lot of the struggles I went through as a kid suddenly made a lot of sense. Watching the show I see Shaun's anxiety reactions, his excitement reactions, his stress reactions, his joy reactions, even his basic mannerisms and speech patterns I could relate to. Everytime he does something I do I get excited and point it out to her because I've never been able to relate to a character the way I do him. It feels wonderful to be able to see a character and see myself in a small way.

Onto my age rating for the show, it has very little sexual content. It's very mild and most of it would fly over the head of someone innocent. It has a wonderful message of acceptance as everyone in on the team slowly grows to accept Shaun, even standing up for him when they wouldn't have even thought about it before. The relationships in the show are healthy, including the platonic friendships (other than Morgan with anyone, I often want to hit her), I believe one of my favorite scenes so far is one of the residents calming Shaun down while he was having an episode in the middle of a procedure so he could explain what needed to be done. Shaun is a great role model for any kid, teen, or adult with autism. There's mild violence, very little on screen violence, about as much as you'd expect in this type of show. There's mild swearing, but I also don't thing that matters for any age group personally speaking. The surgery scenes might be too much for some squeamish people, but if you're child isn't squeamish I'd honestly say it'd be good for any age, especially autistic kids that deserve to see someone like them in a positive light in media. Of course they touch on death and mortality regularly, but that's important to understand for children.

Now to talk about representation.

I saw someone mention that there aren't many characters of color, untrue. Many of the main characters are black or mixed, even Asian. They are almost always depicted in a good light other than being humans that make mistakes, especially Claire. Black, Hispanic, mixed, Asian, etc patients are treated just as good as white patients and have just as much of a recovery rate. There are even interracial couples depicted as perfectly healthy, normal, loving relationships and they aren't treated badly in the show in the slightest.

As far as LGBTQ+ representation, there is the occasional gay patient, positivity directed at the idea of transitioning gender (despite that not being the case with the patient), and there's even a scene that takes place at a drag party. As someone who is trans and gay, I found the attention respectful, if sparse.

Overall, it's just a good show that I've greatly enjoyed. It's made me laugh, cry, and be extremely proud of someone that isn't even a real person.

Adult Written byClarprescott June 4, 2019

I don't like the new chief of surgery. He is a horrible actor and kind of makes me want to not watch it anymore

It's a great show except for the change this season I don't like the new actor on it I think his name is dr. Hahn
Adult Written byKYBelle November 30, 2020

Adult Written byFishysteph August 15, 2020

Content becomes more mature as the show progresses.

I was shocked to see such a low sex rating on this show but I believe it's based on the earlier parts of the series. As the main character starts dating there is lots of talk about sex but most of it is light. There a a few episodes with significant sexual content. The overall story lines are fascinating and suck you in. Most of the relationships are health and have depth. Fun fact, this show is based off a Korean drama by the same name. The US version definitely has more sex and sexual implications.

Adult Written byljwoods September 4, 2019

An inspiring medical procedural

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bybaby0116 February 10, 2019

Very good show

I think that this show is great for tweens or teens that aspire to be a doctor. But there is some sex and swearing

Adult Written byGurtrude_The_Cool January 16, 2019

A good show

It’s a good show it’s unique, but, as it went on it was having more... adult content... not good for kids, teens would be more advisable. Overall a pretty good tv show. Personally I’m not a big fan of doctor shows but this one was pretty good.

Adult Written bySupernatural Do... January 9, 2019

I love this show this coming from someone with autism

One of my favorite show including my favorite actor Freddie Highmore from many kids movies from when I was a kid born in 1997 and I’m glad there’s a show talking about and showing autism it’s very misunderstood I was diagnosed in high school and bullied like Shaun I can really connect to the show sry that it didn’t get great reviews on here I love this show. :’)

Adult Written byDolored D. May 5, 2018

I think it's great

Personally dealing with a child with autism Austin now is 15 he has learned so much from watching Shaun Murphy the character has brought him forward it showing real life from every aspect to your allowed to make mistakes too there is going to be nudity there is going to be some sexual innuendos and that people are human but people also are accepting
Adult Written byDolored D. May 5, 2018

I think it's great

Parent Written byElla D. May 1, 2018

Adult Written bycharlotte s. April 10, 2018

Adult Written byDebra H. April 1, 2018

Best Series

I love the Good Doctor and have been watching since day 1. Please do not let Dr. Glassman die. I just watched this episode and every time I watch an episode I think this is Great television. I personally can't believe the reviews this is getting. Love the show and I am really picky about what I watch. Best show in a long time.