Parent reviews for The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale Poster Image

Suggested genre: HORROR!

Nobody should watch this. This is depressing and disturbing and with how many seasons there are it doesn't seem like there's much of a solution in sight. Whoever says this is interesting or artistic or a good story is full of it. A woman held prisoner, brainwashed and raped daily, the genre should be horror. It's not healthy to watch things like this. What kind of message are we trying to send our kids? Or even adults... The devil wants us to get so numb that anything will eventually be acceptable. (You shouldn't be required to say what age is acceptable to watch when its evil and completely unacceptable on all levels.

1 person found this helpful.

Watch this with your sons, as well as your daughters

If this show doesn't trigger you, you're asleep. ALL the negative comments are from people who are triggered by it and I'm laughing. It's a satire and you're tough enough to look at the reality it reflects. Watch a few episodes - in fact, just watch the first and see if you aren't slapped in the face with an astounding check and intrigued. Prepare yourself for amazing floods of emotionally-charged adrenaline and conversations. This show is deep on all levels, carrying strong social and political messages. It would benefit anyone to watch it, for personal reflection. It might change the way you look at things and motivate you. Amazing messages, conversations and bonding have come from this. I will be watching with my son - these issues are pertinent to everyone and it doesn't stop with women. On younger viewers: I haven't recommended it for younger viewers, who are too young to grasp the complexities of the characters motivations as well as the issues being on a mature level, (that is aside from the graphic nature of the program). You know your teens and when they're ready for this. There are also sexual assault/rape triggers. I'd suggest you watch some, first and judge. Enjoy! Nolite te bastardes carborundorum

1 person found this helpful.
This show is very dark,very intense,and graphic. It doesn't sugar coat anything. It has some great lessons in it,and makes you think. From a Christian stance this show made me think a lot about false prophets and how they can twist the Bible for their own personal gain. Definitely could open up some conversations. It shows how quickly the world can change and how important it is to be aware of the world. I say 18+ unless you have a very mature teenager and think they can handle it.

Each Episode Just Gets Better and Better

Definitely a show for 16+. Some episodes are pretty shocking, and it really doesn't fit into the "what other families should know" model but it's a really good show. Acting is fantastic.

Hard watch, but it’s impactful

Listen, this is a hard show to watch but it is very impactful. It’s fiction based on all nonfictional events that have happened at some point in time, somewhere, so it is also a very important watch. With that said, I wouldn’t let my child watch this until he was at an age that the message and meaning is more than the horrific setting. I will also warn you that this may be emotionally triggering for some people, as there are multiple r*pe scenes and emotional talk of r*pe.

Horror

Bad!! Hulu

The Handmaid's Tale is the TV series adaptation of Margaret Atwood's popular novel. Women have been stripped of their jobs and forced to work as 'handmaids' to replenish the worlds' population. This means bearing children for married women who are infertile (often well-to-do women). There are lots of mature themes in this story. Sexual acts are depicted onscreen, and there is some onscreen chest nudity. Women going into labor and giving birth. There is a lot of strong language as well.

A very ambiguous dystopian-future set drama, relying heavily on Schadenfreude (Be grateful for what you have!)

Many may focus (and mostly everyone here) on how, beyond the discreet Adult content categories (Violence, Sex/Nudity, Profanity, Substance Use & Striking imagery), The message it's a quite bleak, pessimistic one, in a manner of A Christmas Carol, but with the moral teaching inverted, we are shown in very detailed, extended, self-righteous way on how can things go wrong, and they can even be worse: Today we live in a secular, relatively safe, free and equal society, globalized, westernized, unlike this barren world, depressing, dark, traumatic and plagued with nostalgia. So, show gratitude (the usual Schadenfreude dynamics to know how others suffer the unbearable even). In these terms, its a very conservative outlook on social, civic and politicized struggles, scandals and disputes from Human rights to civic movements to the power of feelings and emotions in free land and its value. It's a very well made, nicely written show, with Content as the above-mentioned categories for 15+ Teens; but the underlying message, which pivots in this quasi-guilty pleasure of looking at "the lives of others" in a land far far away, where thing went wrong and got worse. In terms of Positive Messages and Role models, its the first show I've seen in a decade that can sustain at the same time this "rooting for" feeling "the oppressed (women)" and be outraged by the lengths this society went, and at the same time, the comfort of knowing we have all they lost and more, so "shut up! eat up, sleep, go to work, pay your taxes, start a family and honor your bearers as those you left to continue the cicle will honor you. Thanks for sharing". Which no Teen, not even undergraduates (or generally anyone who didn't engage into critical thinking, be it in humanities, art, philosophy or epistemology of sciences) would pick up this inverted moralistic tale, which thus, makes the Show look a very Obscene and shameless exploitive narrative

Incredible, horrifying and beautiful

Stunning. It's a beautiful shot and scripted version of the book - although it does vary from the storyline. This series is deeply affecting and often harrowing to watch. Like someone else said, sometimes I needed to wait a week or two before tackling the next episode. Other times I couldn't wait to see what happened. This series can't help but make you think about politics, culture, and ideology - and about power and freedom and rights. It's not for kids but it is for older teens who are thinking about the world.