Parent reviews for The Healing Powers of Dude

Uneven comedy about anxiety encourages empathy, diversity.

Parent Written byCaci C. January 28, 2020

Excellent family show!

This show is sweet and up lifting. It teaches empathy, empowerment, inclusion, kindness, courage, standing up for what right, and family values. It is a great watch for the whole family— not just the kids. It’s very funny and entertaining. Absolutely recommended!

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byDawnp24 April 8, 2020

Dude can read Noah's mind !

I can't wait for the next season! I really like this show because I like how Dude is funny. I also like how Noah would imagines things that aren't there and Dude can imagine them too. Dude seems to be able to read Noah's mine and and be there when he needs him. When Noah imagines things I can feel how he's feeling. After every episode there's a cliffhanger and I want to keep on watching the episodes.

Adult Written byliaf April 7, 2020

Authentic Representation

According to the Geena Davis Institute, less than one percent of characters in children's television have a disability, compared to 20% of the population in America. The Healing Powers of Dude features two characters with disabilities - Noah (Jace Chapman), a middle schooler with social anxiety disorder, and Amara (Sophie Kim), a middle schooler with a physical disability using a power wheelchair. Sophie herself has muscular dystrophy and has used a wheelchair since she was four years old. A win for authentic casting! And kids need to see themselves represented on their screens - both with nonvisible and visible disabilities.

There is such a stigma when talking about mental illness and The Healing Powers of Dude gives kids who have anxiety a vehicle to tell their parents how they feel. Obviously, everyone has different experiences. So while some will feel that this show depicts their experience, others may feel differently. No one character can represent everyone with that disability. And the depiction of the emotional support dog is not as accurate as it should be, but this is not a documentary. It is a kids show. And it teaches accepting people who are different than yourself.

Adult Written byNancyHouse February 14, 2020

Dude!

It was a cute series. Hope they have more of them. It shows the power of friends who support you. The struggles of growing up and fitting in and overcoming obstacles. I loved the dogs.