All parent member reviews for The New Normal

Educator and Parent of a 12 year old Written bysouzakh September 16, 2012

Great collection of characters that gives your family plenty to talk about.

Parent Written bydHi September 13, 2012

Disappointing start, but has potential.

Based entirely on the first 2 episodes, I was extremely disappointed in the laziness of the show's writers. A shocking beginning was cringe-worthy causing me to regret not dvr-ing the show to preview for my 14 year old. There was a lengthy and inappropriate sex scene where a woman was bouncing on top of a clearly naked man with her breasts nearly popping out of her skimpy lingerie. The writers could have very easily kept the sex off screen and still lead the viewers to know what was happening. It is done all the time. If it wasn't for this scene, I would have rated the show 3 stars. There are some positive elements. The young actress/character is wonderful. She is learning to just be herself and not change to make others like her. Her mother shows compassion and a non-judegemental acceptance of others. The grandmother is a bigot and is constantly being called out. So there are some pluses. Unfortunately, these first 2 episodes showed lack of understanding of their target audience. Normal, you missed the mark!
Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz January 23, 2013

Occasional Pushing-The-Boundaries Jokes along with Heart and Good Messages.

"The New Normal" is one of TV's Freshest and Funniest Sitcoms Currently Airing. However, expect sexual references including some occasional jokes that push the boundaries and irreverent humor such as jokes about Racism, Special See-Through "Lotion" and more. Characters also drink often and curse in context. Overall, this is a good, funny show that has positive role models and messages (Except for Ellen Barkin's Character who is the only one negatively portrayed on the show) and is appropriate for kids 13+
Parent Written by1st-Pebbles-the-cat October 9, 2012

I feel good after watching this show...

I LOVE this show! The dialog is surprisingly intelligent for TV, *and* actually funny. I love how 'regular' people whom we might come across in our lives are portrayed for who they are, without apology, and their differences which might normally serve as the punch line or judged harshly, are spotlighted for their positives and celebrated. I love to listen to Ellen Barkin's character (I know a few people who think like she does - but use a much more limited vocabulary than she does, unfortunately for me, the things she says can be horrifying if she were real), but what I love best, is by the end of the show, a light is shined on how very similar those who appear so different from 'us' actually are. 'They' are actually much more similar to 'us' than we might think. This show celebrates positive difference and thereby promoting tolerance - in an intelligent way. FINALLY! A worthwhile message on TV. I think this show is a must watch for anyone who tends to think a little or a lot like the grandmother. Well done! I didn't think broadcast TV was capable of producing anything worth watching anymore. What a breath of fresh air! Kudos to those who make this show who end up treating all those who are deserving, with respect and intelligence. Not for my young children though, at least not before sex ed classes.
Adult Written bychrisfan September 10, 2012

just not for us

well we are a stict about content but after watching a few episodes of abcs modern family and enjoying it we thought this looked cute and would give it a look and are so sorry we did it turnd out to be very rude and inapropreate for our family but the kid was adorable and cute so mabey give it one look mabey if nothing eles looks good u might like it i dont know