All parent member reviews for The Powerpuff Girls

Parent Written byDennisD 1 December 19, 2015

violence, and drug use

OK, as a father who has "been there done that", now reformed father figure views etc, i see a lot of subliminal topics of late night outings on chemical X..? seriously, i also noticed that the ages (5-6) years old, have watched this and as they grew to teenagers, i noticed that MANY of the girls violence in Highschool ages were far more aggressive and fighting a lot more than when i was younger. At face value, its a cute show. But if you watch every episode, i see some very questionable areas, innuendos of late nights, chem X with dilated eyes... (which reminds me of the recreational drug). They portray the girls going out all night fighting crime, and sleeping in school. I also occasionally see puns aimed at adult oriented content. I feel that the creator of this show, was a real night life party goer/ drug user, and many of the topics fit that, including a scene where an older guy is picking them up for a ride asking them for chemical X. This is not someone interested in teaching the kids. I personally like the new My Little Pony episodes are fun, moral, and seemed to be based on true values to develop kids in the right direction. I no longer allow my kids to watch PP Girls.
Adult Written byworkethic April 9, 2008

How do you expect to fight against the forces of evil?

I'm glad this show depicts girls as super heroes. The girls encourage trust, loyalty, respect and obediance while protecting their city from overgrown monsters....which they "beat up." Fighting scene are littered with hearts and stars and action flashes. The cartoony animation makes the violence about as graphic as a rainbow pinata at a child's birthday party. The battles in the episodes are, in fact, "sugar-coated." Each episode has a lesson to be taught and the powerpuff girls always strive to be good role models for the town's civilians.
Adult Written byutonium4 April 9, 2008

Too Many Role Models to Chose From

PowerPuff Girls is a classic and perhaps the most feminist cartoon ever made. The girls have personalities that range from tomboy to cutesy to braniac and the villians are as multidimensional as the protagonists. I love the stay-at-home dad, Proffessor Utonium, with his nuturing care of his girls, and I adore that the brains behind the foolish MAyor are supplied by Miss Sarah Bellum, the smart sexy assistant who really runs the show. Social issues arise in the PowerPuff girls such as sexism, racism and absuive relationships, so there is plenty of conversation fodder if like to turn fun into ed-u-tainment. All in all, I believe this show to be maligned by CS!
Parent Written byTallduck April 11, 2015

Not OK for girls

Initially, I thought the show helped empower girls--helping them fight back. I just glanced over and saw a scene about the Mayor and his secretary--whose face you rarely, if ever see. She was trying to seductively get his attention, and had her breasts shoved in his face. It's the Something's a Ms./Slumbering with the Enemy episode. This show is officially banned from our house.
Adult Written byladyZo July 7, 2014
this show is bad not because it's too violent,but it's really stupid.i don't suggest to watch.i hate those powerpuff girls and I hope they will die one day.my daughter hates them too.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 25, 2012

Sugar, spice, and everything nice!

I guess the show is alright. It is actually pretty violent for a kids show that is rated TV-Y7, but all of it is cartoonish. I like it!
Adult Written bysneffie76 April 9, 2008

Powerpuff Girls Kick Butt!

I think that the PP girls are strong role models for young girls (boys too). In a TV atmosphere where cartoon females are more often the damsels in distress than the heroes, it's nice to see girls saving the day for a change. There is some fanstatical cartoon violence, but it isn't bloody or scary. I think that it's a fun show for parents and kids alike.
Adult Written byMommieMolly April 9, 2008

Taking it waaay too seriosly.

Some parents are seriously digging too deep into this show. My daughters were watching it from age 5 and they don't go around beating up ANYONE. It's a fun show for kids, especially girls (boys may find it too "girly"). The violence is very over-exagerated. The only danger really is that your kid may get the idea that they can fly if they jump off high things, and this is a VERY small chance. Watch... and enjoy.
Parent Written byratethis April 2, 2014

used to think it was a girly, sweet show, ...untill I watched it.

Like my title implies, I saw this show but a few times back in the day, mostly by it's appearence, I always thought it was a sweet, little girly kiddie show. Untill it aired on teletoon retro recently. And from an adults perspective I veiwed it differntly and was surpirized the amount of the stuff, as a kid, I didnt see as inaproprait. First of all, the main villian is named "Him" he is very creepy with an echoing voice that makes hom sound like 3 people at once, he has crab hands and distincly repersents the devil. (Hence his name "Him") it is full of creppy villain scenes, and nasty violence. In my opition though, it is cleverly written, and it is the origanal CN, dark, cheesy, voilent, with iffy role modles and halirous quirky animations and charcters. I feel CN has been trying to acheive that orginal unique humour ever since the 90s (wich is why we have Adventure Time, and Regular Show) Though the 90s were a differnt time and I think ratings are more strict these days wich is why adventure time and regular show are pg. Because of these ratings origanal CN's style just cant be reproduced.
Parent Written byKatLilly December 19, 2013

Girl Superheros

Yes, there is some violence... but no one ever dies and it's a cartoon. I like how Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup are 3 very different kinds of girls but each of them is strong and can kick butt and no one ever questions that they can. Getting to see varied girls/women can be an unfortunate rarity but not in this show! I hate that "strong girls" are often shown to be tomboys and disparage "girl things", but in this show the Powerpuff Girls show that they can play with dolls and play with their hair AND save Townsville all in the same day. The worst word that I've heard used is "stupid" which is used fairly often so if that's a deal breaker for you... wait a few years. It also is a show that guys like as well (maybe due to the violence and sassy attitudes displayed by the Powerpuff Girls). These girls are not perfect and make mistakes, but they always get it right by the end of the day and that's part of the real value and entertainment. However, if you want "perfect" role models that never do anything wrong than this may not be up your alley. Also, the father figure is fairly clueless and naive. My 30 year old brother and 27 year old boyfriend also gave this series their seal of approval so I think it's a show that appeals to all ages and genders which is always a plus.
Parent Written byhgwqhge03 September 19, 2013

now i'll talk about one of the best cartoon network shows the powerpuff girls

and yeah, I don't care that their girls and I had a crush on blossom as a kid, at least I'm spitting it out, this show is very creative, entertaining and it never gets old, I love the music for the intro, I love how it shows 3 little girls going to beat up an evil monkey called Mojo-JOJO I like how every Power puff Girl has her own personality, I hate that CN banned the final episode of this show luckily I saw it here in Europe in 2005 if someone is a PPG fan and hasn't seen it go and watch it on the internet it is epic
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Sugar + Spice + Everything nice = THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This cartoon brings back so many childhood memories! I LOVE THE POWERPUFF GIRLS! Why did CSM bag it? Sure there is violence,BUT IT'S ALL CARTOONY!
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 18, 2012

A great cartoon from my youth!

I love this show! I've been watching it my whole life! It is REALLY funny!
Adult Written bycagseg April 9, 2008

There are worse...

Powerpuff Girls does have a lot of violence, but it's so obviously overdone that I don't feel it will influence children. The girls often seem to learn some kind of lesson, listen to their Dad, and go to school. And they are fiercely loyal to each other, yet have the usual sibling arguments. I really don't have a problem with it for my eight year old daughter.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJulie St-F October 4, 2013

Powerpuff Girls: The Good, the Bad, and the M'eh

My 8-year-old daughter is really into drawing "kawaii" cartoons, so she gravitated towards some Powerpuff Girl books in her school library, and now is asking to watch the cartoon on Netflix. Now, Moms and Dads: The good: The animation style is pretty awesome. My friends and I were buying Powerpuff Girl t-shirts in high school before the cartoon had even aired up here in Canada. It's also cool to see some girl superheros. The bad: Violence solves everything. Know your kid and how they handle this, know what their media diet is like. There are also temper tantrums and some mean girl-type behaviours, as well as language that some younger viewers might copy. The m'eh: It's formulaic and generally not that funny. If I'm going to have to be in the room for it, I'd rather be watching Avatar or Phineas and Ferb. BUT, this show does have female protagonists AND, it makes me wanna barf less than My Little Pony. Bottom Line: OK for the 8-year-old in small doses. Her 6 year-old sister, who has a habit of copying things she's seen on TV, does not get to watch.
Parent Written byMark J September 25, 2013

In Deffence of The Powerpuff Girls

I see reviews for this show that ask why the girl protagonists need to use violence and whether they could use other means to solve their problems. Yet, I see none of these issues with boys programing that involve superheros. You would never ask that of ANY other hero, so why the Powerpuff Girls? Superheros are HUGE right now and my daughter (5 years) is interested in them because a lot of her friends are, but because of marketing she is under the impression that there are NO girl superheros, even though I have tried to explain otherwise. "Girls have to be princesses and boys are superheros"...thank you Disney. The series does have violent moments, however with appropriate parental guidance I see no issue with the series. There is a lot of good humor, positive messages, inside jokes, and respect for each other and community as well as parental and societal authority (something a lot of other superhero shows lack). The best thing is that the show is made in such a way that a parent could easily sit down and be entertained unlike MANY other kid shows.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byNK17 July 2, 2013

Ah the old times

I like this show it is a million times better than that MLP crap, I have not seen it in a while but I remember hiding my powerpuff girl love from my friends, even female friends (well especially :) I also used to have a crush on blossom
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 15, 2012

So much fun!

This show is so cool.The animation is colorful and the jokes are HaHa funny!
Adult Written byM.yuki July 21, 2011

Powerpuff-mazing

Do not listen to that review,the powerpuff girls were GREAT i loved them age 9-12 and i was never violent. If your kids are violent or behaving badly you can't place blame on a semi violent cute cartoon. Just talk to them and why they feel the need to be violent,when i was a kid i knew,powerpuff girls are superheros nobody had to tell me i couldnt go around fighting bad guys. lol The show is cute,it does have some lessons,it's not THAT bad at all.
Parent Written byscottm3 June 6, 2015

scared my children

One episode of this show scared 2 of my children . The one where the little man goes around biting people's heads my little boy freaked out amd wouldn't stop crying amd shaking . This has really pit me off my kids watching this now